TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

2008 Sweet 16 & Elite 8 Thread

Well I got one of my national title game teams to the Final Four. Now let's see what else happens. The only No. 1 seed I don't have in the Final Four is Memphis.

You and about half the country.

Let's go Louisville! I can't listen to the tandem blowjobs for Hansbrough's hustle, heart, determination and his ability to cure ailing children around the globe with his uncontested put backs and layups.

Maybe Earl Clark will learn not to travel every time he's in the low post next season because he just about singlehandedly ended Louisville's current one.

Hansbrough deserves all the slurping he gets from announcers.

He's a fucking beast and he put up 28 and 13 with most of the points coming when they were absolutely needed tonight.

I just don't understand all the "heart and determination" and "he never takes a play off!" talk as if he's the only player that does that. The way they talk you'd think there's no other player that doesn't play with heart and that every player aside from Hansbrough takes plays off.

I mean dude's good and all and deserves praise but it just sounds weird to me.

Well I'll be rooting for Davidson tomorrow because Kansas will be a tough matchup. We already beat Davidson earlier in the year and I think their strengths don't matchup well with the Tarheels. To this point they've beaten three slow-it-down, heavy D teams. Granted that's out the window if they beat Kansas but they aren't going to surprise UNC.

"Tyler Hansbrough is a better competitor than Michael Jordan."

That's quite close to being the dumbest thing I've ever heard on a national sports broadcast.

That's quite close to being the dumbest thing I've ever heard on a national sports broadcast.

See here's where I see the problem with the praise. The way they talk about Hansbrough's competitiveness and his heart make it sound like he's doing it on just that and he doesn't have any skill. And all the other players are just coasting on their skill and ability.

Well I'll be rooting for Davidson tomorrow because Kansas will be a tough matchup. We already beat Davidson earlier in the year and I think their strengths don't matchup well with the Tarheels. To this point they've beaten three slow-it-down, heavy D teams. Granted that's out the window if they beat Kansas but they aren't going to surprise UNC.

I personally don't think either can beat UNC after what I've seen in this tournament, hell I feel pretty safe with Carolina as my national champion pick right now.

That part of the praise is certainly excessive.

But I've watched at least 85% of the Heels games this year and it's incredible how many boards, loose balls, and steals he gets by hustling and getting into the proper position.

Guest Bullshiterica
To this point they've beaten three slow-it-down, heavy D teams.

Now that we've found Kevin Love, what are we gonna we gonna do

with this?

WHO said THAT.

I like Kevin Love. He has to be the slowest player ever, but he jumps when he has to, has very good skills, and looks like a bunch of people from my high school. Hansbrough fouls the shit out of people, goes over the back, looks like Reche Caldwell with those eyes, and looks awkward on offense when he isn't jumping all over the place.

To be fair he was comparing him to the Jordan in college not the pros

I like Kevin Love. He has to be the slowest player ever, but he jumps when he has to, has very good skills, and looks like a bunch of people from my high school. Hansbrough fouls the shit out of people, goes over the back, looks like Reche Caldwell with those eyes, and looks awkward on offense when he isn't jumping all over the place.

Are you insinuating that someone with star power is getting all the calls? The NBA has infiltrated college basketball!

WHO said THAT.

Jay Bilas said that. He said that he played against Jordan and he wasn't the competitor in college that Hansbrough is.

I was 1 month old when Jordan hit "the shot" in the 1982 title game so I can't really judge the accuracy of his statement.

That part of the praise is certainly excessive.

But I've watched at least 85% of the Heels games this year and it's incredible how many boards, loose balls, and steals he gets by hustling and getting into the proper position.

It's also incredible how many fouls he gets called in his favor on both ends of the court when he's out of position. There was one sequence when it was close at the end where he tomahawked at Padgett from behind striking him between the shoulderblades leaving Enberg to say he got away with one, he fouled Padgett AGAIN and nothing was called and in almost every game of UNC's that I've watched that's par for the course. Of course if you look in his direction in the low blocks in a tight one it's like D-Wade vs Dallas in the NBA Finals and a guaranteed trip to the line. It's almost like he plays for UCLA with the way the refs protect him down the stretch.

Now I'm not saying he's a scrub. I'd even say that he's an elite collegiate baller, but anyone who didn't know better would think we were seeing one of the all-time greats the way people talk about him. He's not even as good as Christian Laettner was at that level and will likely be a stiff in the NBA who lasts because big men are like left handed relievers. The fact that some ESPN talking heads have him being as good as Beasley at the next level because of his "guts" is just retarded. I think that's my biggest problem with the guy. He's a great effort player on a great team, but I don't see any skills that are so mindblowingly amazing that justify the way he is treated by everyone who calls the game.

The Jordan comment came from Jay Bilas in full fellatio mode somewhere around the time Earl Clark was doing his 3 step drop/turnover routine late in the 2nd half.

Guest Bullshiterica

I know nothing about Tyler Hansbrough, but now I hope he has the same career trajectory as J.J. Redick. The problem with Bilas's comparison is that to most of us, I'm guessing, "Michael Jordan, Tar Heel" does not exist as an entity separate from "Michael Jordan, Chicago Bull," so to just say what he said without qualifying it means he's putting Hansborough's entire body of work against Jordan's, and to my knowledge, Tyler Hansbrough has yet to beat the shit out of his teammates for not working hard enough.

EDIT: However, "Michael Jordan, Washington Wizard" is a separate entity

I believe Bilas already made that comment a few weeks ago on ESPN but that's beside the point...I like Hansbrough a lot but that was a little over the top.

Ok, my young brain can't remember. Did Jordan get every call like Wade, Lebron and now Hansbrough?

Because the Jordan comparison was as absurd as when they try to call NBA guys the next Jordan. I'm just trying to remember if Jordan achieved some of his greatness by getting every call known to man like some of these guys do. I don't even remember the Jordan fellatio being like it is for these guys in his heyday.

I wasn't born when he was in college, but in the NBA, yeah he got every call. But he also made every shot that counted, so it sorta didn't matter.

I wasn't born when he was in college, but in the NBA, yeah he got every call. But he also made every shot that counted, so it sorta didn't matter.

Oh ok. I remember watching him when I was a kid in the NBA(i think i was like 13 when he retired in 98) so I guess I don't really remember. I was heavy into sports as a kid. Then around 97 or so I quit watching completely and was like uber-wrestling guy to the point I'd go into my dad's room while he was watching football and start telling him why wrestlers were better. Then I got back into sports and out of wrestling in college. Why I told that story.....I don't know. I've noticed I love to give background exposition on everything.

Anyway back to this........ummm........all 4 No. 1 seeds in? Or is Texas going to beat Memphis?