TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angle-plex

Should Austin come back for one last match at Mania 25?

Mania 25 is in Houston, and I just read hot newz that Austin could Wrestle on last match there. What do you guys think? He never got the final "big match" but I can't imagine a more fitting end to his career than his match with Rock at Mania XIX. Plus, Flair just did the last match thing this year and it just wouldn't touch that IMO. Cena I guess would be the best match for him and I'm sure the heat would be off the charts for that.

I just don't see it happening. Losing to the Rock at WM XIX was the way he wanted to go out and he just doesn't seem like the type who'd want a grandiose finale on the big stage.

I could maybe see another match a few years down the road, but I don't think that he's been gone long enough for that huge nostalgia kick and there's no natural match-up for him with the current roster.

I would love to see The Rock come back for a program with Rey, then Michaels and then Austin could come back to end The Rock's career. Austin has had some shitty matches since XIX. So at Mania it can be if Austin loses, he retires, and if The Rock loses he 'Goes back to Hollywood' and some other shit like that, that Austin can say to him.

Rocky could pin Austin, big celebration and all that. The next night o Raw, Rocky is in the ring talking shit and Cena comes out to start a program with him. If Rock goes heel on Cena, maybe the crowd would quit with the it's cool to boo Cena deal.

All that is, if Rock would come back for around 8 months or so to work all those programs.

But, yeah... Anyway about it, Austin really should come back and work a program with somebody.

Your choice, Cena, would be my second choice and the most likely scenario. Cena retiring Austin and making it mean something would be amazing for Cena's career right now as well. Plus, it keeps him away from the title for a while and I think that would help him out too.

Austin can basically do what Flair did this year, but Steve Austin's retirement match in Texas against Cena or The Rock? The heat would be insane.

Jeez....

Rock's not coming back. Ever. It's not happening and it's not worth it to go all fantasy booking in this folder. Take it to General Wrestling if you want to book some crazy dream scenario.

Austin is already retired. Coming back for one more match and retiring again would only tarnish the fact that he stepped away under his own terms. I think that would be bad for Cena and bad for Austin. No dice.

Considering Austin has for the most part stopped wrestling full time since Mania XIX takes the luster off an "official" retirement match for him. It worked well for Ric Flair since he had still been wrestling for the most part in the past few years. That and a 55+ (I don't know his exact age) year old Ric Flair's retirement match is much more credible than a guy who's still only in his 40s.

That will be 6 years after Austin's last match. He ended his in ring career the right way in a great match. No need to put himself at risk.

Austin has had some shitty matches since XIX.

Considering Austin has for the most part stopped wrestling full time since Mania XIX takes the luster off an "official" retirement match for him

Did I miss something? Austin quietly retired in 2003 after the match with the Rock. He hasn't had any matches since then.

Officially yes, but I was including all the physical interactions he has had since then. And remember he was supposed to have a match with Coach that he walked out on the WWE over. I don't consider him a wrestler anymore but I just wasn't sure if he had a match here and there between XIX and now. I see that he hasn't, so yeah his final match was XIX. Leave it at that.

I'm assuming he just meant that Steve has really stunk it up in everything he's done since he left the ring.

I'd like to see the Austin/Cena because I know it would deliver and Austin back for a couple of months (maybe RR) leading to him gathering a lot of steam and really busting out one more time to go out to a guy who will actually carry his torch would be nice. That's not a dig at the Rock whatsoever, but I think Steve could benefit from having one more program with a guy from this "generation".

No.

If the plan is to have Taker finally lose the streak next year in Houston, you'd have that and Austin losing both in their home state.

Austin can be inducted into the HoF, maybe along with Taker or some shit. Let him come out, wave and do a speech then just leave. Maybe finally the "what" shit will leave with him.

Taker is not going to lose his streak in his hometown. I would like there to be a huge threat against him though - I'm hoping for Cena, because there would be certain believability that he could go over, and he'd get nuclear heat in Houston against The Undertaker.

Absolutely not.

WM XIX was perfect. Not to mention they don't need to have a big retirement match at Mania the year after Flair does it.

And Rocky is r-e-t-i-r-e-d. He's not taking a break. He's done.

It seems that people just doesn't accept the fact Rock's last ever match was a tag team handicap match with Foley against Evolution. They expect a big grand singles match with someone major to finally put an end to the Rock chapter in WWE.

I don't expect Rocky to come back at all. Ol' boy started a topic bout Austin having a potential last match next year at mania with Cena. I agreed with him, but Cena is my second choice in the matter, so I mentioned Rocky for a minute because he's my first choice.

I ain't sittin' here making 20 posts a day begging Rock to come back, or getting pissy at HHH or Cena because they took shots at him for being successful. That's for 80% of this folder to do. I don't fuck with the gossip and bullshit, except for the occassional laugh.

I thought everybody was trying to get some discussion going on in this folder, but half the posts in this thread are talking about Rocky, just because I mentioned the mofucker for a minute, then I pointed out that it would never happen and agreed with the thread starter about Cena.

Fuck..

If that was addressed to me, well I wasn't really referring to you. It's commonplace amongst wrestling fans that they think Rock has one or two more matches in him because they are completely dissatisfied with how he actually left.

Wrestlemania 25 is along ways off, guys, I think theres really only one thing we can bank on, possibly 2.

1st-Terry Funk will go in to the Hall Of Fame...this just makes sense

2nd- We may well see Taker/Shawn Michaels....both Texas guys, and a match that would tear the roof off the place.

As far as Austin goes, there is no real telling. Maybe he'll go into the HoF, but I doubt it, not this year anyway. And he might have a match, he may be itching to get back, its possible.

But Rocky won't be coming back, I fear. I think he pissed too many people off with the "selfish" :rolleyes: behavior at the HOF ceremony.

Cena/Austin is what I was thinking too. You know I find it funny how Austin is getting a pass on passing the torch, but Hogan was getting ripped for it. At least he tried with Warrior and I know what Hogan CLAIMED years later about showing him up at the end of the match, but I don't buy that one bit. Hogan seemed genuinely upset imo on the cart leaving Mania that his time had passed. The Rock passed the torch to Brock Lesnar. In some ways, Flair passed the torch to HBK in terms of saying he surpassed him(he said so at the HOF) and I see why HBK had the last match with Flair. I still think Hogan's going to give Vince a ring for next year for you know what. You know his ego already.

I don't think UT is EVER going to lose at Mania and that's fine. I was also thinking HBK/Taker. The story is already there. He ended Flair's career at WM 24 and looks to end the streak at 25.

Meltzer did hint in the latest newsletter that Austin is thinking about coming back for one last match at XXV.

Given that he had such a great last match, he'd rather he just stay retired

Did nobody watch Austin's last match? The whole storyline was predicated on Austin passing the torch. I remember Rock's interview prior to the match. "Finally..." and all that.

I still hope he decides against it. It will ring hollow and sort of cheapen the Flair retirement this year if Austin does the whole HOF/Last match combo. Now if he didn't go into the HOF this time around, and just had one last match...

I mean WM will be in Texas again in the next five. Save the HOF until then, of course Undertaker and HBK will likely be "ready" by that time.

It'd be nice if Austin came back for one more match. I'd love for him to go against Orton and put him over (you know Legend Killer and all), but seeing how Houston is in his home state, that would require a victory to send the crowd home happy so I think Cena would be a good opponent instead since everybody wants to see him get his ass kicked now anyway.

Of course, I'm still for Austin Vs. Hogan, but that ain't happening even if Austin was 100% guaranteeed going over so I think they should do Austin Vs. Helmsley or Austin Vs. McMahon: The Final Chapter if Austin is coming back to go out for good.

I agree with everybody else that the Stone Cold Vs. The Rock from WM XIX was a great way to go out and Austin should leave at that. Just make the HOF final speech to show up the next night, have a beer, and stun somebody.

actually

Austin should go into the HoF next year since it's in his home state... maybe have Brian Pillman inducted with him.

He's basically inactive now and just shows up to special events to drink beer. With his neck and knees if WWE waits 10 years he might not be able to stand up without help.

Cena is closest to Austin as far as popularity so Austin wouldn't need to show up just get a ratings boost.

Maybe Rock could do a speech again, but one would assume McMahon would do the whole induction himself.

I know in my heart of hearts that Rocky is never coming back. That said, I'd love to be wrong. I don't really think Austin will ever come back for a real match, either. I think his only appeal is as a novelty, and the few times we've seen him get physical in the last few years, he's shown just how wrecked and stiff that he is. I don't blame him for wanting to not further jeopardize his health or his "movie career". Same with Rocky.

Hogan is a parody of himself at this point... and its not even funny anymore.

Foley should just stick to what he does best, get the cheap pop and the "thanks for showing up" paycheck.

I assume Austin would get to pick his opponent? Isn't he said to be fond of Ken Kennedy?

Yeah, he was all for him. I don't know about now, after Kennedy has had so many setbacks, injuries, people getting injured against hm, fucking up the big push thy were gonna give him as Vince's son, taking shit about steriods on tv, then failing drug tests and getting suspended.

And with Kennedy's track record of injuries, I don't think Austin would want to get in there with him, being nearly crippled and all.

I assume Austin would get to pick his opponent? Isn't he said to be fond of Ken Kennedy?

Yeah, he was all for him. I don't know about now, after Kennedy has had so many setbacks, injuries, people getting injured against hm, fucking up the big push thy were gonna give him as Vince's son, taking shit about steriods on tv, then failing drug tests and getting suspended.

And with Kennedy's track record of injuries, I don't think Austin would want to get in there with him, being nearly crippled and all.

What the hell? All that happened with Kennedy? I've been off the net the whole year. Kennedy as Vince's son did seem like the way they were going, although the HHH thing at the end was pretty funny for a smark.