TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

Upcoming Scott Keith Q & A Session

Cheech came up with an idea recently that has been agreed upon. Scott Keith is going to do a question and answer segment with us here at TSM. Cheech contacted him, and he agreed to do the Q & A. For those of you who do not know Scott, he has written the following books on professional wrestling:

"The Buzz on Professional Wrestling"

"Tonight...in This Very Ring: A Fan's History of Professional Wrestling"

"Wrestling's One Ring Circus: The Death of the World Wrestling Federation"

"Wrestling's Made Men: Breaking the WWE's Glass Ceiling"

Also, he has a book coming out on Chris Benoit.

Scott kept a pro wrestling FAQ for a long time and has written for some of the bigger wrestling websites along the way. He started a website named Rantsylvania, which morphed into The Smarks. TSM has existed in some form or fashion from the forums on those sites up until our current incarnation. Scott's current website is http://www.rspwfaq.com.

This session will be hosted here in the WWE Folder, but we are pinning the topic in every wrestling folder so you will be aware of it.

Please post any questions you would like Scott to answer in this thread. Please refrain from rude or unnecessary questions or comments for Scott. If necessary, we will delete questions of that nature before sending them for Scott to answer. This thread will be up until Monday or so, and then we will close it and forward the questions we have. Hopefully, this will lead to similar projects in the future.

Yes, Scott doesn't write for websites or anything anymore, but he still writes the occasional book and has a blog where he discusses wrestling amongst other things.

Question: Why didn't Vince ever create a legit Russian threat for Hulk Hogan to vanquish to prove that he's the Real American Hero? He could have pilfered Nikita Koloff, created his own using some steroid addled bald guy, or (and preferably) kept Barry Darsow in the "Krusher Kruschev" personality.

For how big of a threat "Communism" was in the 1980s, limiting the Russian threat to Volkoff & Zhukov was weak.

That is the exact type of question we do not want. Consider this a warning to everyone.

Unfortunately, I think you are going to find that there is not a whole lot, if any, reverence for Mr. Keith on this board. I personally found him to be amusing around 2000 / 2001, but got tired of him when he started buying into his own hype around the time his first shitty book came out.

I agree. All of the mentions of Keith on this board in the last few years haven't been so positive.

It's likely that a lot of posters aren't going to have any interest in this, but the man is coming out with a book on Benoit, which is apparently a very sensitive subject for a lot of people here. We couldn't exactly get Vince McMahon for this, so let's try to work with what we got. If you ever wondered anything, post it and see what he says. Just keep out the questions that he obviously won't dignify with a response.

We are only going to submit the relevant questions so bashing him here will only fall on deaf ears. If you have problems with Scott's history with the site or his work, take those comments elsewhere. I don't care if you like him or not, but he has offered his time to come here and answer questions about the business.

By the way, we are trying to make this Q&A thing a regular part of the board. Treating the first guy nice enough to do it with total irreverence ruins the chances of getting anyone else in the future.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

How did he get started reviewing stuff?

Who is the best person to get tapes/dvd's from?

What is his take on steroids in wrestling?

What company's does he still follow?

How far do you agree or disagree with the statement that, considering all the politics/big egos/the downturn in the wrestling business which saw both WCW and ECW going out of business plus numerous other difficult factors, the WWE has done a brilliant job in the last 6 years and has managed to keep the wrestling business alive and well?

Here's one I can't believe no one's posted yet: Are 100% of the proceeds from this upcoming book on Benoit going to be donated to charity or to his other children or Nancy's family?

In your opinion, will McMahon's ego ever get in the way of the WWE gaining a larger foothold in American culture? I would feel his not wanting to put over any non-WWE talent will eventually start to get the better of him.

Will there ever truly be a viable 2nd promotion to the WWE? RoH is getting on PPV, all be it sporatically. TNA has seeminly destroyed all of the good will they garnered with their recent string of bad booking.

When will "what?!" go away?

Who would be better to lead the WWE after Vince steps down? Shane or Steph?

Scott Keith, in your Wrestlemania 24 rant you said this about the MITB match

Big reaction from the theater for Matt Hardy’s return, but this would have been the perfect place to elevate him and instead he gets stuck with MVP again.

I for one, don't understand this. Matt Hardy and MVP had the hottest feud of 2007, yet there was no real ending to this. You mean to say you would have Matt Hardy return and put the MVP feud on the backburner? IMO that would be horrible booking. The MVP/Matt Hardy feud was built for months, and had to be on hold due to Matt Hardys injury. They did a perfect way to explain Matt Hardy injury with MVP giving Matt a beatdown after 2 straight tag matches... It was assumed by the fans that when Matt Hardy when he returns he will go after MVP for revenge. I really don't understand the problem with him finishing his feud with MVP.

What will you do to make sure your book does not have the factual inaccuracies that your books and rants have been plagued with?

You said in your WM 24 rant:

having Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard run in and save the pin one last time.

Don't you realise that goes against what the Flair v. HBK feud was all about? It was about Flair seeing if he could still go and beat one of the best, Arn and Tully interfering would've taken away from the match a lot. After seeing the tribute, do you still think this way?

Will your book be regurgitating information that most fans already know like your previous works, or will it offer information no one else has known about the tragedy. Do you source your information in this book?

Anyone else who posts an unnecessary comment like that will get warned. Or gulag'd.

I'm not kidding.

MODERATOR NOTE: King was referring to a post that included a link to a page with inflammatory comments about Scott Keith. This is 100% not allowed.

More questions:

When did you find about Benoit? What was your reaction when you found out he murdered his family?

Do you feel embarassed by all the glowing praise you used to write about him? Did you know about his dark past or did you think he was this great guy?

Show switching from heel to face mid-match and Mayweather not really doing anything from a standpoint of working a match. I don’t get why it was booked, I don’t get what the motivation was supposed to be, and I don’t get what was proved by it.

With statements like that, do you feel not following the current product hinders your opinion making?

My question is the impact of the internet on wrestling. The good and the bad and did it resurrect wrestling in the late 90's? How has it impacted the long term business.

Continuing with his WM24 rant...

John Cena continues to steal the focus of any match he’s in, as fans chant for him and against him and ignore everything else, which once again makes Orton look like a chump and that’s why Cena should be champion again. I appreciate what they’re trying to do with Orton, but I’m not buying it and not many others are, either.

Not many others? Incase you haven't noticed, Randy Orton has been getting heavily praised by the IWC and wrestling fans a like for stepping up in his role as WWE Champion, and giving it 100%. He's getting great reactions from the crowd, and has been upping his game up when it comes to promos and matches a like. Cena doesn't need to be champion again... We already went through Cena's reign since 2005 basically(save for brief title reigns by Edge and RVD). It's time to let someone else shine, and Randy is doing that right now. Randy is peaking right now, why ruin it?

Which young performer (in age or exposure) do you feel offers the most for the WWE in the long run? Mr. Kennedy, MVP, CM Punk, Elijah Burke, DH Smith or other?

Unfortunately, I think you are going to find that there is not a whole lot, if any, reverence for Mr. Keith on this board.

This. You weren't around for those days, Cheech, and a lot of the people who were probably still harbor some ill will towards Monsieur Keith.

Here's one I can't believe no one's posted yet: Are 100% of the proceeds from this upcoming book on Benoit going to be donated to charity or to his other children or Nancy's family?

This is the best question so far.

If people harbor resentment, they can just ignore that this thread is even happening. Anyway, this really isn't the place, you can always post about that to your heart's content in the chocolate socket or site feedback, if you so desire.

Unfortunately, I think you are going to find that there is not a whole lot, if any, reverence for Mr. Keith on this board.

This. You weren't around for those days, Cheech, and a lot of the people who were probably still harbor some ill will towards Monsieur Keith.

I've been here since the Rantsylvania days, so this is incorrect. I fully understand everything about Scott Keith, including his relationship to this site and the ill feelings about both his attitude and his work product. That's part of the reason I asked him to do this. There are a lot of interesting questions out there to ask him, but it seems like people are more comfortable bitching about who was chosen instead of trying to ask hard-hitting questions.

If this exercise doesn't interest you, please just move on to the next thread.

Guest Smues

-I know you've had a lot of apathy for wrestling in recent years, but you're love of 24/7 shows you at least have some passion left for the business. Who currently tops your most hated wrestler list? In the past I've seen Gedo and Gonnad thrown out a lot by you, is one of them still at the top?

-What are the origins of BONZO GONZO?

-Remember near the end of your tenure on this board when you 'banned' Scotsman and then he came back as the mysterious something or other who made threats and then there was this big countdown until the reveal that it was just Scotsman? Was that your idea or his. And how are things between you and Scotty these days?

-Sean Shannon. What was your reaction when he/she left you high and dry with the website and related bills, and what was your reaction when he replaced the old site with a page of rape? Also, have you ever read his blog at Seanshannon.org? Dear lord does that man/woman/thing have issues.

-Roughly how much money have you made just from writing on websites over the years. Wrestlemaniacs/Wrestleline/411/Inside Pulse/wherever else, did you actually get paid for all the work you put in?

-If you don't mind telling, how much have you made as a writer with the four books, and which book sold the most copies?

-How come you haven't released a new book in a while? Was it a lack of interest on your side, or could you not get someone to print one?