TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

2008 Stanley Cup playoffs - first round

Eh, it felt like a game they were gonna lose; they were getting lazy on defense, and you knew they were going to pay for it. I didn't think they'd get a sweep on Nashville, but I'm fairly confident they can beat them in Game 4.

Yea I could sense that they were going to give up the tying goal late in the 3rd because the way they were getting lazy by just dumping the puck in Nashville's zone. I didn't expect Nashville to score the winning goal 10 seconds later. I guess it's better than losing in OT because Detroit just cannot play well if they don't have the lead on the road.

Scoring two goals in under 3 minutes, 3 times in 2 games is not luck. There is a problem that needs to be resolved.

Well, giving up a 3 goal lead is a bit different than giving up a 1 goal one, though the "seconds later" phenomenon is something that definitely needs to be stopped.

Again, I don't feel too bad about this loss; sure, it blows, but I feel like they needed this sort of wakeup call against Nashville. They're an emotional team, and Detroit needs to clamp down on them because they are likely to face another team like that (Calgary) if they go on to the Second Round. It didn't help that there were a lot of missed calls by the refs (Probably due to complaints from Nashville about the two previous games), but I don't feel like this was the end of the series. Not by a long shot.

Well, giving up a 3 goal lead is a bit different than giving up a 1 goal one, though the "seconds later" phenomenon is something that definitely needs to be stopped.

Again, I don't feel too bad about this loss; sure, it blows, but I feel like they needed this sort of wakeup call against Nashville. They're an emotional team, and Detroit needs to clamp down on them because they are likely to face another team like that (Calgary) if they go on to the Second Round. It didn't help that there were a lot of missed calls by the refs (Probably due to complaints from Nashville about the two previous games), but I don't feel like this was the end of the series. Not by a long shot.

I agree with most everything you said but to see Dom give up goals like that after having a pretty good game is extremely disheartening. This is similar to how the first round went last year but for some reason I am not as confidant this time around.

We'll see how they come out in Game 4. If Nashville scores first, it's going to be pretty hard to keep that crowd quiet and get control of the game at all. I'm not saying that Game 4 is a MUST win as Detroit is a pretty different team on home ice as is Nashville on the road but I would like to see them win Game 4 so they can finish it off in 5 to rest up for the next round.

That's what I think hurts Detroit...is that they go to 6 games in a lot of the series lately which hurts the older players in the later rounds. They need to finish teams off faster.

Is it just me, or is TSN picking up the US feed more than usual this year. I know they usually do when the game is on NBC, but it seems like we've been seeing a lot more VS this season. I think I've only seen Cuthbert and Healy do 2 games so far.

Interestingly, the US is getting the CBC feed for some of the later games that they're playing on Versus. I feel bad that y'all are getting the inferior US feed, and the US is getting the Canadian one. Sorry about that.

Who does the NBC games with McGuire? I've heard him a few times so far and don't recognise him.

If you mean in the Studio, it's "Mad" Mike Milbury. The two of them are horrid together, it's such a forced shtick. Milbury is trying to create a quasi-Don Cherry persona, and him & McGuire do these stupid (and blatantly forced) arguments. The only good thing about Milbury's shtick is that he sometimes does the Bruins coverage for NESN and he's always willing to say the contrarian thing ... which is a breath of fresh air around here, normally it's everyone toeing the company line no matter how wrong it is.

LOL @ the Ottawa Senators. That has to be the most horrible pregame intro I've ever seen in hockey.

I'm glad they lost.

It would have been great had they done it when the movie came out, you know, last year, for that big run they had in the postseason...

Is it just me, or is TSN picking up the US feed more than usual this year. I know they usually do when the game is on NBC, but it seems like we've been seeing a lot more VS this season. I think I've only seen Cuthbert and Healy do 2 games so far.

Interestingly, the US is getting the CBC feed for some of the later games that they're playing on Versus. I feel bad that y'all are getting the inferior US feed, and the US is getting the Canadian one. Sorry about that.

Who does the NBC games with McGuire? I've heard him a few times so far and don't recognise him.

If you mean in the Studio, it's "Mad" Mike Milbury. The two of them are horrid together, it's such a forced shtick. Milbury is trying to create a quasi-Don Cherry persona, and him & McGuire do these stupid (and blatantly forced) arguments. The only good thing about Milbury's shtick is that he sometimes does the Bruins coverage for NESN and he's always willing to say the contrarian thing ... which is a breath of fresh air around here, normally it's everyone toeing the company line no matter how wrong it is.

No, I meant Emrick. Trust me, I know Milbury - I've hated him as long as I can remember, and he's routinely an ass on the TSN panel.

In my opinion, though I don't think it'll be disputed, Nonis' lack of activity at the trade deadline is what cost him his job.

Also, thank you Al. I had been to baseball reference a few times, but never had it bookmarked for some reason. I also had a so-so hockey history site favourited, but these are both fantastic. Thanks, eh?

Which games have you been getting the CBC feeds of, Nskie? I don't recall ever hearing the guy who's been doing the Calgary games (Mark Lee?), but so far so good. I can take or leave Bob Cole, who's been doing the Habs-B's, but Jim Hughson (who usually does the western games), who's doing Pittsburgh-Ottawa, is fantastic.

Who sucked a dick to get all of these Avalanche/Wild games on Versus? I guess the games are good but I don't care for either team really.

Bruins basically threw everything they had out there and got nothing back. Why do I let myself get sucked in time after time? It's like being a Red Sox fan pre-2004 with these guys.

The Flyers get so many bullshit calls against them. I know they had dirty hits at the beginning of the year, but really, do they have to get ripped off repeatedly now? Fuck that noise.

Crazy ending here in the Flyers/Caps game. Caps got to within 4-3 off a goal that sure looked like it was hit w/ a high stick, but Mike Richards puts the Flyers back up 2 w/ a penalty shot goal. 2.5 minutes left in the game.