WEDNESDAY

Phillies (Kyle Kendrick) at Mets (Mike Pelfrey), 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

Yankees at Red Sox, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

Rockies at Diamondbacks, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

SUNDAY

Cubs at Phillies, 1:30 PM/10:30 AM, TBS

Yankees at Red Sox, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Hey, all Im gonna say to that subtitle is this season is reminding a lot of people of the 1989 WHY NOT? Orioles team that went from 54-107 in 1988 (including the 21 losses to start off the year) to finishing 87-75 and losing the AL East by 2 games to the Blue Jays (in which they lost two of the last 3 games of the season to the Blue Jays by 1 run which cost them the East Title). The 89 team was at the bottom of the AL in batting and only about the middle in Pitching, yet they spent a good deal of the season in first place. They were built around Cal Ripken after trading Eddie Murray and Mike Boddicker, and a lot of players acquired during the offseason such as Brady Anderson, Randy Milligan, Mike Deveraux and Curt Schilling (who would get traded away in the WORST TRADE EVER a few years later..sigh). Before the season started Vegas odds had them at 300-1 and dead last in baseball...

The biggest difference this year so far that Ive seen over the past, like..5 is that even when they get down a couple runs they aren't giving up. Last year if they got down early the whole team would seem to pack it in by the 4th inning, because you knew the Bullpen couldnt keep the other team from adding a couple more runs on and the offense wasn't gonna score enough. This years bullpen is light years ahead of last years, and I think the offense is at least a slight improvement as well. Yesterdays victory was a testament to this as they were down 2-0 going into the 9th having pretty much been shut down by Felix Hernandez all day. But they managed to pull out the 3 runs in the 9th (granted not against JJ Putz, and they probably wouldnt have done it vs Felix Hernandez if he stayed out for the 9th) but in the past couple seasons they wouldnt have even been thinking 9th inning rally no matter who was out there. And Luis Hernandez, who everyone i(ncluding myself hammers on for his offense, since coming into yesterdays game he hadn't gotten a hit yet) delivers a 2 out basehit to win the game..its just those kinds of things that have me and some fans of the Os excited. Will it last..who the heck knows? But Im gonna enjoy the season and the fact that the team is going out there and playing to win and not using rebuilding as an excuse to lose, and for at least 2 days in April, the team that was supposed to finish last in the AL East and lose 100 games was 4-1 and in first place.

Why Not? The Music Video

LOL @ the subtitle of the thread. I'm a little distracted with the Mavs right now and my hopes aren't very high anyway, but it's definitely nice to see how well the Orioles are starting.

I'm curious to see how the Sox and in particular young players like Jon Lester and Ellsbury perform in what should be 2 tough series against the Tigers and the Yankees. Only good thing is that the home opener is perfect timing as the weather should be hitting the 60's and possibly 70's by the end of the week.

Guest Smues

3 national TV games for the Yankees this week. Meh. NOW it really feels like baseball season.

Guest tonyjaymzretro
Marvin's entire post

You've got to remember, the O's generally always start off hot, but then just give up, usually around may/ june...so while its cool the O's are off to a good start...it's only been one week, I'm not ready to say they're gonna be great or even finish .500....I'm stilll waiting for the crash and burn that always happens.

I'm actually looking forward to Phillies/Mets...should be a good game...and hopefully the Rays can beat the Yankees...

Guest frostdude1
3 national TV games for the Yankees this week. Meh. NOW it really feels like baseball season.

Yes because the largest fan base doesn't deserve to watch their team on national television.

Yes because the largest fan base doesn't deserve to watch their team on national television.

There are 29 other teams, each with their own respective fanbases that would like to be able to watch their teams too. There's no reason to put three Yankees games on national television in one week.

Especially when you consider that most Yankees fans don't exactly need to wait to watch their team play on ESPN or Fox anyway. They've got their own network and a diehard who doesn't live in the tri-state area probably has the Extra Innings package and access to all 162 games anyway. As a native NYer, it'd be nice to actually see Rockies/D'backs on a Saturday afternoon instead since those guys are never on except when they play the Mets, and when the Mets travel to Colorado or Arizona I'd have to stay up until at least midnight to watch the whole game.

Guest Teal-y Dan

I'd rather see the Yankees than the Diamondbacks, and I'd rather program a Yankees game than a Diamondbacks game too.

There are 29 other teams, each with their own respective fanbases that would like to be able to watch their teams too. There's no reason to put three Yankees games on national television in one week.

Be realistic. The two teams likely to draw the highest ratings for a national broadcast are the Yankees and the Red Sox. They're playing each other this weekend. That's pretty much a no-brainer to me. Besides, you say it as if Fox and ESPN should get together and agree not to show two games from the same series on their respective networks.

If you enjoy 4+ hour Yankees/Red Sox games you'll get at least 8 of those on national TV this season. The Diamondbacks and Rockies could end up winning 90+ games each and won't get that many national TV games combined and then MLB wonders why the ratings for the playoffs suck ass when Boston, Chicago, LA or NY isn't involved.

Guest Teal-y Dan

Because the Rockies and Dbacks don't have many fans, and they never will. Exposing America to the greatness of Ryan Spilbourghs and Conor Jackson still won't make anybody give a flying fuck come October.

If you enjoy 4+ hour Yankees/Red Sox games you'll get at least 8 of those on national TV this season. The Diamondbacks and Rockies could end up winning 90+ games each and won't get that many national TV games combined and then MLB wonders why the ratings for the playoffs suck ass when Boston, Chicago, LA or NY isn't involved.

The networks can't force people to follow a particular team. The ratings are always going to be lower when a team from a smaller market is involved, because that team will necessarily have fewer fans. With a few exceptions, baseball is very much a regional game.

Here's a question for Sunday Night and West Coast/Western Coast teams like Arizona/Colorado...

Given the 8 PM ET start time, that'd mean 5 PM on the West Coast. Is this normal? Near as I can tell, the games are usually 7 PM WC (10 PM ET), or 1 PM WC (4 PM ET) on weekends, correct? I honestly don't know so I'm curious.

I think time zones may also be an issue when it comes to scheduling West Coast teams but then again, maybe not.

Im not one to start rumors but..

A couple nights ago Adrian Belte slid into 2nd and was hugging Brian Roberts leg (which got him called out when Roberts moved and pulled Beltre off the bass). Today, Beltre scores a run and ends up hugging the Umpire...

Maybe he just likes to hug.

Here's a question for Sunday Night and West Coast/Western Coast teams like Arizona/Colorado...

Given the 8 PM ET start time, that'd mean 5 PM on the West Coast. Is this normal? Near as I can tell, the games are usually 7 PM WC (10 PM ET), or 1 PM WC (4 PM ET) on weekends, correct? I honestly don't know so I'm curious.

I think time zones may also be an issue when it comes to scheduling West Coast teams but then again, maybe not.

The 8pm Sunday Night start time is static. If a west coast team plays that game, it's 5pm PT, or 6pm MT.

The only thing that irks me with Yankee national coverage is that I already have the YES Network. The ESPN game is blacked out, so I end up receiving fewer national games overall as a result.

I felt bad for Evan Meek at the end of the Pirates/Cubs game. Poor bastard couldn't throw a strike if his life depending on it. Pirates had exhausted their bullpen so it was up to him to get it done.

In his one inning of work, 36 pitches, 25 balls, 11 strikes.

That's not what you're looking for.

Joe Crede with a grand slam today against the Twins.

I gotta say, it's pretty jarring to see Citi Field looming over the left field fence after years and years of there being absolutely nothing beyond Shea's walls. Kinda majestic, even.

Rich Harden will miss tonight's game against the Blue Jays with a sore back. I can now consider the season officially underway.

I'd be upset if I hadn't already completely given up on him last year.

Man, the wind and sun in center is playing hell with the fielders at Fenway today. Plus, Kenny Rogers isn't pitching very well at all; the wind knocked down a probable Ortiz grand slam which would have broken it open.