TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

WWE Raw (4/21/2008)

As WWE Superstars return from the rich, royal tradition of the United Kingdom to American shores, the stars of Raw, SmackDown and ECW will compete for their own unique crowning glory.

For the first time in two years, a new King of the Ring will be decided in a one-night tournament that commences in the very first hour of a special three-hour episode of Raw, live from the BI-LO Center in Greenville, S.C.

Eight competitors will have to defeat multiple opponents in a single night to be coronated with the treasured crown and robe that WWE Legends and Hall of Famers such as Harley Race, “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase, Bret “Hitman” Hart, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and Edge have worn during their illustrious careers.

It’s not known which Superstars will make up the tournament field, but be assured that the four men involved in the Fatal Four Way Match for the WWE Championship at Backlash – John Cena, John “Bradshaw” Layfield, Triple H and WWE Champion Randy Orton – will want to make their mark and gain momentum just days before their title tilt. A King of the Ring Tournament victory would do just that.

Also watching the tournament live at BI-LO Center will be Senators Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, who have been invited to settle their Democrat differences in Greenville. What will happen as these two titans of the political world face off in the WWE ring? Will their confrontation finally end their stalemate on the road to their party’s presidential nomination? Watch: WWE's invite

With Shawn Michaels and Batista at odds over HBK’s retirement of WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair at WrestleMania XXIV, look for sparks to fly if the two cross paths in the tournament or if they match up with their special guest referee at Backlash, Chris Jericho.

Also, the Divas cheered as Mickie James ended The Glamazon’s dominance, stunning fans worldwide to claim her fourth Women’s Championship. How will Beth Phoenix react to the loss? And will other Divas look to challenge the new champion, making her new reign a short one?

Find out as a king is crowned on Monday Night Raw, airing live at a special start time of 8/7 CT, only on USA Network.

My subtitle is better than their's.

Anyway, the show is a must watch. And watch it I will.

Did they actually invite Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton?

If no: What, is this gonna be like Trump-Rosie last year? They didn't learn their lesson from that?

If yes: Is a pro wrestling show in South Carolina a leftist hotbed all of a sudden?

Hillary is doing Larry King and Obama is doing Jon Stewart. Not like anybody really expected them to be there in the first place. I expect a Rosie/Trump-esque lame brain skit.

I think you can pencil in Ken Kennedy as part of the KotR as he's making his big return after being off for the straight to DVD movie he is currently filming.

damn this being a 3 hour Raw and damn the fact I work, oh well guess I'll pull a late nighter, should be a good tourney depending on whos in

Doubt if I'll be watching it tonight (Game 7: Habs and Bruins is staying on my TV tonight) but hopefully its a good tournament. Either way, I'll be downloading it in the morning

Hillary is doing Larry King and Obama is doing Jon Stewart. Not like anybody really expected them to be there in the first place. I expect a Rosie/Trump-esque lame brain skit.

John McCain has been added. WWE also says that the candidates will address fans in taped messages. The theoretical possibility of this being real still remains alive.

WWE press release via Yahoo Business Wire

Politics and Wrestling! Its the new Rock and Wrestling!

I think WWE fully intended at the start of this plan to go with the poliparody. It still may be a poliparody. If the original inanity somehow has been transformed though into actual candidate pretapes, that would be a legitimate public relations coup. We'll see.

John McCain has been added. WWE also says that the candidates will address fans in taped messages. The theoretical possibility of this being real still remains alive.

It sure is. I can't wait to see Colt Cabana's impersonation of John McCain.

"If you smellllllll-la-la-la-la-la-la what Barack is cookin!!"

They were planning a parody, however the candidates took them up on the offer. I assume it was Sen. Clinton initially as her campaign is broke and she's looking for free publicity anywhere she can get it. She's on Larry King and Olbermann tonight as well. Wwe probably then contacted Obama saying Sen. Clinton was actually interested in a taped message sorta deal though they'd only go that direction if both were willing to do it. $10 bucks McCain talks about wwe's yearly tribute to the troops in his spiel.

I seriously hope none of the candidates pretend to be wrestling fans though. That would be cringe worthy.

Last election, WWE had that Smackdown Your Vote crap, Vince had a McMahon For President sticker on a limo, and they had a fake Bush show up to Raw and kick it with Cryme Tyme.

Oh My God! They all went for the cheap pandering. Hillary says that tonight in the spirit of the wwe you can call her "Hill-Rod" and that the campaign is like the king of the ring, only there will be a woman left standing. Barack does drop the "If you smell what Barack is cookin" and looking like a tool doing so and McCain channels Flair and Hogan saying "To be the man you're going to have to beat the man" and "what are you going to do when all of my McCainiacs run wild on you". He also butchers Barack's name in the process.

It's all right here, leaked(?) on youtube -

Actually those are just snippets. Here's Clinton's "script"-

Hi, I’m Hillary Clinton. But tonight, in honor of the WWE, you can call me Hill-Rod.

This election is starting to feel a lot like “King of the Ring.” The only difference? The last man standing may just be a woman.

The truth is, this election is so important. The next president will face a stack full of difficult challenges right from the opening bell… to fix the economy, bring our troops home from Iraq, and make college more affordable. You need a president who will go to the mat for you. And that’s exactly what I’ll do.

I’ve been knocked down, but I’ve always gotten back up. And I know how to take a hit for the American people. And if things get a little tough, I may even have to deliver the “people’s elbow.”

Because this country is worth fighting for.

Now, I promise to stick to the political arena. So don't worry Randy Orton you're safe… for now.

When it comes to standing up for the American people though, I am ready to rumble.

Oh My God! They all went for the cheap pandering. Hillary says that tonight in the spirit of the wwe you can call her "Hill-Rod" and that the campaign is like the king of the ring, only there will be a woman left standing. Barack does drop the "If you smell what Barack is cookin" and looking like a tool doing so and McCain channels Flair and Hogan saying "To be the man you're going to have to beat the man" and "what are you going to do when all of my McCainiacs run wild on you". He also butchers Barack's name in the process.

The candidates (and/or their script writers) must think that wrestling fans walk on all fours.

Raw main event for tonight is

Undertaker & Kane & John Cena & HHH vs. Randy Orton & JBL & Edge & Chavo Guerrero.

This also means none of them are in the King of the Ring tournament.

Shawn isn't in that line up, so he's probably in the KotR. Same with Batista.

The candidates (and/or their script writers) must think that wrestling fans walk on all fours.

I love it. Can't wait to see the full videos tonight.

Undertaker & Kane & John Cena & HHH vs. Randy Orton & JBL & Edge & Chavo Guerrero.

Sounds like an awesome main event. With those guys not being in the KOTR (thank God), I'd say it's gonna be:

HBK

Batista

Jericho

Kennedy

MVP

CM Punk

Finlay

Matt Hardy

Could make for a great tournament.

Off the top of my head, here are my picks for KOTR:

Kennedy

Finlay

MVP

Matt Hardy

Kofi

Umaga

Jericho

Burchill

WWE placed the brand champions and their Backlash challengers in the main event. Michaels and Batista don't qualify in either category. Hopefully, they'll be kept out of the King of the Ring to let someone else shine.

WWE placed the brand champions and their Backlash challengers in the main event. Michaels and Batista don't qualify in either category. Hopefully, they'll be kept out of the King of the Ring to let someone else shine.

Yeah, I think we'll see seperate builds to Show/Khali and also Batista/HBK on Raw other than slotting them in KOTR.

Yeah, I think we'll see seperate builds to Show/Khali and also Batista/HBK on Raw other than slotting them in KOTR.

I guess it would be better for the guys with Backlash matches to stay out of KOTR and focus on Sunday. The guys left that I could see being in the tournament are Kennedy, Punk, Finlay, Miz, Morrison, Henry, Umaga, and Kofi. (I think Santino and Carlito will be busy with the tag team championship scene)

Doubt if I'll be watching it tonight (Game 7: Habs and Bruins is staying on my TV tonight) but hopefully its a good tournament. Either way, I'll be downloading it in the morning

You realize that game (if there's no OT) will be over approximately 45 minutes into Raw beginning, right? On that note, because The Score is still airing the show from 9:15-12:15 (I don't know why they can't ditch the 15 minute time delay tonight - they only do it to circumvent their live television licensing agreement wit hthe CRTC) and I have to be at work by 12, I'm probably going to watch the first 2 hours tonight and then the last hour tomorrow afternoon on the replay. That main event sounds pretty good.

The Gold Rush and other such #1 contender tournaments (Mania 22, I think) were held over a series of episodes, right? Would this be the first one night tournament on Raw since Ken Shamrock became the IC champ? That was a pretty enjoyable show according to my memory (we'll see when it pops up on 24/7 in 2009 or so).

Barack does drop the "If you smell what Barack is cookin" and looking like a tool doing so

That's all I wanted out of this. B-)

/puts money down that there will be an "If you smell what Barack is cookin'" line thrown in there somewhere.

You realize that game (if there's no OT) will be over approximately 45 minutes into Raw beginning, right?

For Canada, yes. Stateside, it should be a much longer conflict.

Obama should call and ask his spot to be pulled. Let Clinton and McCain look like pandering fools. Hillary dropping Randy Orton's name is silly - as her to pick him out of a line-up for crissakes. I mean why pander? Just give a straight up message, put over "Tribute to the Troops" and the "Make-a-wish" exploits, ask the fans for their vote and wish them a good night.