TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

The NBA Offseason Thread

I don't get it, the Bulls have two American white guys on the team... whats with the John Paxson white guy love?

Guest Desensitized

It's not "white guys," it's try-hard good character guys who have "energy" but aren't necessarily going to get you very close to a championship. For example, a player like Rasheed Wallace would be great for this team, but the lack of effort and the headaches he brings are not acceptable. That's the Paxson ideal, which pretty much sums up Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Nocioni, Sefolosha, and Noah. Skiles, too. Chris Duhon was supposed to be like that since he came out of Duke (hey, I didn't presuppose the causal relationship) but turned out to be a barhopping dumbass who sleeps in and misses practice. I'm not even sure what he saw in Tyrus Thomas.

I'm not even sure what he saw in Tyrus Thomas.

I think maybe the Tyrus pick might have been Paxson's attempt to prove that he's not what everyone says he is by picking a player that's basically the complete opposite of the prototypical "Paxson guy" (super-athletic, questionable bball iq, etc).

I'm not even sure what he saw in Tyrus Thomas.

I think maybe the Tyrus pick might have been Paxson's attempt to prove that he's not what everyone says he is by picking a player that's basically the complete opposite of the prototypical "Paxson guy" (super-athletic, questionable bball iq, etc).

And in doing so gave up LaMarcus Aldridge, who is a Pax type of guy, but actually big, long and good at basketball.

I think I get it now.

I'm sorry, Chicago fans.

Ben Gordon has been complaining since he got there. And that really wouldn't explain the trade for Ben Wallace.

I have said it before and will say it again. Its not a mystery why the bulls got so bad. The mystery to me was how they had a good year after trading Eddy Curry.

Seroiusly, that was one of the worse built teams I have ever seen. yet they were somehow successful for like 2 years.

They had no threat to score near the basket with 4 jumpshooters and a non scorer court. Their bench also consisted of jumpshooters and guys that couldn't score near the basket, yet for two years, they fooled people into thinking they were a good team.

Sadly, if they had just traded for Zbo (who could be had for the corpse of Steve Francsis and Channing freakin Frye) then they would have made the playoffs this year.

Guest Desensitized
Ben Gordon has been complaining since he got there. And that really wouldn't explain the trade for Ben Wallace.

They signed Wallace as a free agent because Jerry Reinsdorf is good buddies with Ben's agent, Arn "Soulja Boy" Tellem. The Horseshit Owner regularly goes over the heads of his GMs: Kenny Williams wanted to get Cito Gaston in 2004, but Reinsdorf overruled him and signed the cheaper Ozzie Guillen.

Sadly, if they had just traded for Zbo (who could be had for the corpse of Steve Francsis and Channing freakin Frye) then they would have made the playoffs this year.

I have to call bullshit on this. A lot of Chicago's problems this year can be attributed to stuff like a lack of motivation and disarray in the locker room. Do you really think that adding a certified head case like Randolph to the mix would have improved things?

Yeah, but so does Zach Randolph's. We might not be able to trade him for players with shorter deals. I'm pretty sure w/ Marbury, Rose, James etc. coming off the books we'd be far enough under the cap to make a max deal in 2010, so while it would be nice to have as much space as possible, it's not essential to clear up the space that Randolph is taking up. Plus, if we want to attract LeBron James we need to have a team that looks like it's good enough for him to take over the hump. As of now, it ain't looking like that.

If we can clear one of Randolph, Curry and Crawford we'll be good. You have to take into account the extensions for Nate and Lee, as well as other first round picks.

Leandro Barbosa is a great deal for anyone. The production vs money is good.

You can argue with Diaw. I think that D'Antoni pretty much loved him more than Amare, and I honestly think that the team was all around better with him as the focal point offensively than Amare (sure amare scores easier, but he also plays abysmal defense. A healthy Kurt Thomas and Boris Diaw was more valuable to me honestly).

If we can clear one of Randolph, Curry and Crawford we'll be good. You have to take into account the extensions for Nate and Lee, as well as other first round picks.

Yeah, but if Nate wants more than 3 mil a year, you completely ignore him. Guys like Lee, and the other first rounders, they aren't going to command that much money.

I think Lee will try to get 10 million because you have people like Nene and Samuel Dalembert making 10 million. Hopefully he'll settle for somewhere between 7 and 9 at most.

I think Lee will try to get 10 million because you have people like Nene and Samuel Dalembert making 10 million. Hopefully he'll settle for somewhere between 7 and 9 at most.

Nene and Dalembert are both 7 footers. We all know that if you are 7 feet tall and manage not to trip over your own feet you are going to get a bigger contract.

And I think people don't really understand Mike offense. Its not about speed, its about spreading the court and getting wide open shots up fast. His offense worked in Phoenix because there wasn't anyone you could really leave open from the midrange. Unless lee gets a solid jumper, he isn't going to blow up.

Spreading the court and chucking up jumpers = offensive rebounds grabbed by David Lee. Running = David Lee finishing on fast breaks. I agree that he needs a more consistent jump shot, and if he had that he could be a poor white man's Amare Stoudamire, but one thing I'm sure of is that the two things he does really well are two things that the bigs in Phoenix (Amare and Marion) thrived on.

Spreading the court and chucking up jumpers = offensive rebounds grabbed by David Lee. Running = David Lee finishing on fast breaks. I agree that he needs a more consistent jump shot, and if he had that he could be a poor white man's Amare Stoudamire, but one thing I'm sure of is that the two things he does really well are two things that the bigs in Phoenix (Amare and Marion) thrived on.

Lee doesn't finish like Amare. And Marion worked because he could stretch the D, once again. For the offense to work, they can run the pick and roll and need all the other 4 guys to be able to hit the shots. They run the Pick and roll in the middle and if you try to double it at all, that guy is open. When you mess that up (say by bringing in a 7'3" guy that can't run the pick and roll and can't hit a shot outside of the paint) the offense is going to struggle.

Its not that I think it won't work with Lee, its just I don't see him blowing up the way some people think it will happen for him. If anyone rises from obscurity on this team it will be Jared Jeffries and Balkman.

Balkman and Jeffries have worse jumpshots than David Lee. Lee is improving on his jumper much like Amare did these past few years. I'm not saying he'll be good as Amare, but he's already shown improvement on his jumper (he improved from 58% to like over 80% at the free throw line).

Balkman and Jeffries have worse jumpshots than David Lee. Lee is improving on his jumper much like Amare did these past few years. I'm not saying he'll be good as Amare, but he's already shown improvement on his jumper (he improved from 58% to like over 80% at the free throw line).

Jeffries can handle, has the size and can pass the ball. Balkman is a small that can defend bigs very well. that is why the blowuption would occur for them, as in more consistant playing time and such. None of them particuarly fit in the offense, but their skills would be more valuable.

I would prefer him play Lee though. I just like that guy. Maybe its the white guy fro.

Just running things through my head.

Mike D likes Kirk hinrich. He also loves Thabo. He also loves Noah The Bulls need a low post scorer. They also have a number one pick and a great point guard on the board. They also could use a two guard with some size to play along side the point guard there for the taking.

So wouldn't it make too much sense to send Hinrich, Noah and Thabo to the Knicks for one of the big guys (I am thinking ZBo here) the 6th pick and one of their guards?

The Bulls have Larry Hughes. Yeah, it's only Larry Hughes, but they traded for him and they're stuck with him for at least next season, so he's their two guard. Plus, the only notable two the Knicks really have is Jamal Crawford, and that trade isn't happening.

There's also the matter of the Knicks giving up their lottery pick, another lottery pick to the Chicago Bulls for that matter, which would totally destroy whatever goodwill the organization has built up with the fans and the media in recent months.

Larry Hughes has only 2 years left on his deal meaning that his money will be coming off in 2010 season....when they want to clear cap room. Jamal Crawford would have another year on his deal and making big money.

Basically, if the Knicks gave up Crawford, Randolph and a throw in like Marty Collins and the 6th pick, they could get back Hinrich, the right to lose Hughes contract in 2 years, and add some guys like Thabo and Noah(who can't be sitting in the highest regard for the Bulls right now.)

It give Mike D'Antoni closer to the team he likes (Thabo, Noah and Hinrich all fit like gloves) and you are in better position to be a player in the free agent race of 2010. It gives Chicago the right to draft Rose as the point, have Crawford at the two, Deng at the 3, Gooden at the 4 and a low post presense at the "5".

Sure, defensively that team will suck ass, but Chicago is sucking ass offensively and defensively...at least they would be able to upgrade a little.

The Knicks would actually get better offensively and defensively in that deal.

Ha....hahahahahhahahhahhahahahahaha!!

They have got to be FUCKING kidding me.

Well, all 7 footers that can walk and chew gum at the same time, get ready...you are going to be lottery picks BAYBEE.