TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

The NBA Offseason Thread

Good trade for Milwalkee. have to wonder what exactly LA was doing there. They could have grabbed him for Odom and had a more completel team.

Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto, Jefferson to Milwaukee, and the Clippers getting the 4th pick (!)? Hell of a draft day so far. Here's to one or two more big deals to round out the day!

Its a helluva deal for Milwaukee. They dumped a bad contract and a guy who never wanted to be in Milwaukee to begin with for Jefferson, now they have a great 3, which means no big match-up problems against the top SFs of the East (Pierce, Prince, Lebron).

Just messing around on Hoopshype, I see that the Jefferson deal should clear a nice chunk of change from the Nets a couple of summers from now (about 11 million off the 2010-2011 payroll should they like and keep Yi, all $15M of Jefferson's salary should they dump him). Jiggaman will not lose ever.

Its a helluva deal for Milwaukee. They dumped a bad contract and a guy who never wanted to be in Milwaukee to begin with for Jefferson, now they have a great 3, which means no big match-up problems against the top SFs of the East (Pierce, Prince, Lebron).

Hold up. Are you saying he can handle Lebron well?

Not handle as in stop or anything, but in terms of giving you a threat at the 3 who needs stopping as well, who's not going to get run over. he's not better than lebron by any means, but RJ is a physical 3 who is not afraid to body up guys, and has scoring output of his own. Having a 3 who can score and isn't passive on the defensive end is pretty much essential if you have any hope of getting by a Pierce or Lebron. ie, see how well Caron Butler played against Cleveland (of course the rest of the team blew, but i digress)

Imagine TJ Ford was still on the Bucks? With Redd and Jefferson? Mo Williams is a high percentage scorer, but that's pretty much it.

Ramon Sessions looked pretty decent at the end of last year too, though at that point the Bucks were basically running around like the Washington Generals, not giving a shit on defense, and playing him for 40 minutes-plus a game simply because there was no one else.

Uh, the bucks didn't give a shit on defense all year. You seriously couldn't put togehter a worse defensive group unless you just signed tyrone Lue, Mike Bibby Amare Stoudimire and Eddy Curry.

They SUCK defensively. Mo Williams is garbage at guarding ALL point guards, Michael Redd can't slow down anyone, Yi could stop any PF's, Bogut still says "Fuck a pick and roll" and Charlie...well...lets just say he can't play D.

Just GOD awful defensively.

Ramon Sessions looked exactly what the team needed. he was a real point guard. If they run the offense like that, they will be okay, but there is too much money invested in Mo for them to do it.

Jefferson is a fantastic get for Milwaukee. That is an underrated dude, not just in terms of his all-around game, but he's smart, well spoken, just a solid character who should fit in well in the land of Favre. Also, he didn't get to show it a ton playing with Kidd, but he's got a bit of Scottie Pippen point forward in him, so with Williams being more of a scorer than a QB and Redd offering no real playmaking skill, Jefferson will by necessity become more of a playmaker.

That year when Kidd was out the start of the year and Jefferson was the only player wortha damn on the team, Jefferson was amazing at the point forward role. I do think he is very underrated skills wise.

I don't know who was the dumber in this trade that broke down,

The bobcats agreed to give up Gerald Wallace (wing that can block shots and finish the same way as Jamario Moon only twice the player) for TJ Ford (a guy that they wanted to give up). Then charlotte backed out because Toronto wanted a 2nd round pick also.

So...Charlotte could have had a franchise point, being able to take another need position in the draft and still have felton to trade (which they want to do anyway for some reason) to get the team better. But didn't do it because they didn't want to give up a 2nd round pick.

Toronto could have gotten rid of Ford (which they wanted to do) and gained a wing that they need so badly. But nixed the deal over a second round pick.

I mean...what the hell guys.

Eh, If I'm Toronto I would make the deal for O'Neal over Wallace. Both dudes are injury prone, Wallace is the better player and better asset if you discount size and position, but IMO pairing O'Neal with Bosh is a better look for that team. I'm down on O'Neal at this point but if he plays to his potential that is a fucking sick frontcourt.

i will say again. the best that the Raptors can expect from JO with Bosh being the down low offensive focus is what Rasho gave you. They are making a lateral move in terms of production here. Plus, JO is GOING to get hurt. Its time to just accept it.

The Raptors suck on the wing. they didn't suck in the front court. They addressed the stronger part of their team and ignored the weakness. Right now, Jason Kapono, Joey Graham, Jamario Moon, and Carlos Delfino are their wings and 2 guards....that, gentlemen is fucking ugly.

There was a rumor going around last night during the Ford draft chat about Charlotte possibly sending Wallace and the #9 to the Lakers for Odom, but I've yet to see that make the rounds on any websites. Which would make this tidbit all the more puzzling.

Per ESPN Radio

Antawn Jamison is re-signing with the Wizards for 4 years/$50 million.

Elton Brand and Baron Davis opt out, Ron Artest does not.

Artest will still move. But now the Kings will get something for him, whether it be this offseason or during the season.

No way they let a valuable trade commodity like that walk next summer.

Wizards and Golden State Warriors offering Arenas big deals, Wiz for 6 years and GSW offering the max for 5 years (the highest they can, while Was. is permitted to offer 6).

I think Arenas should go to GSW, i can't imagine a better fit for him.

Guest Vitamin X

Especially since there are reports now that Baron Davis wants to be a Knick.

Golden State offering Gilbert that money all but guarenteed that Davis wasn't going to come back. That was actually pretty dumb of them. They could have resigned Baron to a contract less than max and had a PG that is just as good as Arenas and just as injury prone. This also would have maintained chemistry and given them room to resign their free agents that matter like Biedrins or Monta Ellis.

Now they have thrown a max contract at a guy that is probably going to stay with the same tiem, alienated their current franchise PG, and now have to resign Ellis who now has even more leverage with them and will probably request even more money and you fractured the team chemistry.

Good job there Mullin.

I don't know much the Knicks can do to clear up enough space to offer Davis a worthy contract, but with D'Antoni at the helm, they should do whatever they can to get a hold of Baron.

Updated FA list from ESPN.

P - Player option

R - Restricted

T - Team option

Atlanta: Josh Childress ®, Jeremy Richardson ®, Josh Smith ®, Salim Stoudamire ®, Mario West ®

Boston: Tony Allen, P.J. Brown, Sam Cassell, Eddie House, Scot Pollard, James Posey

Charlotte: Derek Anderson, Earl Boykins, Othella Harrington, Ryan Hollins ®, Emeka Okafor ®

Chicago: Shannon Brown, Luol Deng ®, Chris Duhon, Ben Gordon ®, Demetrius Nichols ®

Cleveland: Devin Brown, Daniel Gibson ®, Dwayne Jones, Delonte West ®

Dallas: Malik Allen, J.J. Barea ®, Devean George, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue, Jamaal Magloire, Antoine Wright

Denver: Anthony Carter, Yakhouba Diawara, Eduardo Najera, J.R. Smith ®

Detroit: Alex Acker ®, Juan Dixon, Jarvis Hayes, Walter Herrmann ®, Lindsey Hunter, Theo Ratliff

Golden State: Kelenna Azubuike ®, Matt Barnes, Andris Biedrins ®, Austin Croshere, Baron Davis, Monta Ellis ®, Patrick O'Bryant, Mickael Pietrus

Houston: Carl Landry ®, Dikembe Mutombo

Indiana: David Harrison ®, Ronald Murray, Andre Owens ®, Kareem Rush

LA Cippers: Elton Brand, Paul Davis, Dan Dickau, Nick Fazekas ®, Shaun Livingston, Corey Maggette, Smush Parker, Quinton Ross, Marcus Williams ®

LA Lakers: DJ Mbenga, Ira Newble, Ronny Turiaf ®, Sasha Vujacic ®

Memphis: Andre Brown, Kwame Brown, Casey Jacobsen, Juan Carlos Navarro ®

Miami: Blake Ahearn, Earl Barron, Ricky Davis, Alonzo Mourning, Kasib Powell ®, Chris Quinn ®, Jason Williams, Dorell Wright ®

Milwaukee: Ersan Ilyasova ®, Royal Ivey, Michael Ruffin, Awvee Storey (T), Jake Voskuhl

Minnesota: Michael Doleac, Ryan Gomes ®, Chris Richard ®, Craig Smith ®, Kirk Snyder, Sebastian Telfair

New Jersey: Darrell Armstrong, DeSagana Diop, Nenad Krstic ®, Bostjan Nachbar

New Orleans: Chris Andersen, Ryan Bowen, Jannero Pargo, Bonzi Wells

New York: Fred Jones, Randolph Morris ®

Oklahoma City: Ronald Dupree, Francisco Elson, Mickael Gelabale, Robert Swift ®

Orlando: Carlos Arroyo, James Augustine ®, Keyon Dooling, Maurice Evans, Adonal Foyle, Pat Garrity

Philadelphia: Louis Amundson, Herbert Hill, Andre Igoudala ®, Kevin Ollie, Shavlik Randolph, Louis Williams ®

Phoenix: Gordan Giricek, Linton Johnson, Sean Marks, Eric Piatkowski, Brian Skinner

Portland: James Jones, Von Wafer ®

Sacramento: Anthony Johnson, Beno Udrih, Lorenzen Wright

San Antonio: Brent Barry, Michael Finley, Robert Horry, DerMarr Johnson, Damon Stoudamire, Kurt Thomas

Toronto: Primoz Brezec, Jose Calderon ®, Carlos Delfino ®

Utah: C.J. Miles ®

Washington: Gilbert Arenas, Roger Mason

Players with Limited Salary Protection

Leon Powe, Boston (no salary protection if waived on or before 7/15, full protection thereafter)

JamesOn Curry, Chicago ($100,000 protected, will raise to $250,000 if not waived on or before 7/31, to full if not waived on or before 10/31)

Lance Allred, Cleveland (no protection)

Billy Thomas, Cleveland (no protection)

Brandon Bass, Dallas (no protection if waived on or before 10/1, full thereafter)

Bobby Jones, Denver (no protection if waived on or before 8/15, full thereafter)

Taurean Green, Denver (no protection if waived on or before 8/1, full thereafter)

C.J. Watson, Golden State (no protection if waived on or before 7/25, thereafter $100,000)

Mike Harris, Houston (no protection)

Loren Woods, Houston (no protection, will raise to $166,400 if no waived on or before 8/15, to 312,800 if not waived on or before 8/31)

Coby Karl, LA Lakers (no protection if waived prior to opening day, thereafter $100,000)

Joel Anthony, Miami (no protection if waived on or before 7/25, thereafter full)

Stephane Lasme, Miami ($100,000 protected, will raise to $300,000 if not waived on or before 7/22, to $400,000 if not waived on or before 9/16, to full if not waived on or before 10/26)

Keith Van Horn, New Jersey (no protection)

Adrian Griffin, Oklahoma City

Marcin Gorat, Orlando ($177,879 protected, will raise to full if not waived on or before 7/31)

D.J. Strawberry, Phoenix (no protection if waived on or before 10/26, thereafter $200,000)

Guest Vitamin X

Golden State offering Gilbert that money all but guarenteed that Davis wasn't going to come back. That was actually pretty dumb of them. They could have resigned Baron to a contract less than max and had a PG that is just as good as Arenas and just as injury prone. This also would have maintained chemistry and given them room to resign their free agents that matter like Biedrins or Monta Ellis.

Now they have thrown a max contract at a guy that is probably going to stay with the same tiem, alienated their current franchise PG, and now have to resign Ellis who now has even more leverage with them and will probably request even more money and you fractured the team chemistry.

Good job there Mullin.

Apparently there must've been some sort of rift between Davis and Donnie Nelson, so that would be the answer to the befuddlement you have there.

Golden State can go blow itself anyways. The 8-seed will finally belong to the Blazers this year!

I am mostly impressed with how I spelled "team" wrong up there. Tiem? What the fuck is that all about.

I hope Arenas doesn't become Allan Houston for the Wizards. Also, CP3 is close to a 4 or 5 yr extension worth between $60 and 80 million.

Ugh, I was at least hoping he'd leave the division. Oh well, Baron will never be able to do wrong in my eyes after the Dallas series and I've learned not to get attached to pro athletes anymore.