TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

The NBA Offseason Thread

fuck not this take a paycut like Patriot shit.

at least you can rest easy knowing that kind of attitude will never flow into the Bruins. Players will most likely always take a paycut to get the fuck out

Good one?

Chara took less money to go to Boston. So did Savard. Ryder just picked the Bruins over five other teams who were going after him hard.

I can't say I know much of anything on hockey but I think its safe to say that this isn't the top choice of star players to come to. Chara from what I could tell came because his old GM took over here.

at least you can rest easy knowing that kind of attitude will never flow into the Bruins. Players will most likely always take a paycut to get the fuck out

Good one?

Chara took less money to go to Boston. So did Savard. Ryder just picked the Bruins over five other teams who were going after him hard.

I can't say I know much of anything on hockey but I think its safe to say that this isn't the top choice of star players to come to. Chara from what I could tell came because his old GM took over here.

It's starting to turn around though. I guess I'm just tiring of the constant "Bruins are cheap" bullshit. They've successfully signed good players in the last few years. Since you admittedly don't know much of anything about hockey maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself. I don't comment on basketball in this thread because I don't know anything about it.

Reports: Arenas agrees to $111M deal with Wizards

WASHINGTON - Gilbert Arenas has agreed to re-sign with the Washington Wizards for $111 million over six years, essentially taking millions less so that his team could have more financial flexibility, two newspapers reported Thursday.

Arenas told the Washington Times and Washington Post that he was offered a maximum deal in the neighborhood of $127 million on Tuesday, the first day of the free agency period.

"(The Wizards) offered me the max, and I'm basically giving back $16 million," Arenas told the Washington Times from China, where is traveling as part of promotional tour for a shoe company. "This is in line with what I've been saying the whole time. You see players take max deals and they financially bind their teams. I don't wanna be one of those players and three years down the road your team is strapped and can't do anything about it."

The three-time All-Star became a free agent after opting out of the final year of his six-year, $65 million contract. He initially said he was opting out to receive a max contract, but he later indicated he would be flexible in negotiations.

Arenas also said that he would not re-sign unless the team retained two-time All-Star forward Antawn Jamison. The Wizards lived up to that part of the bargain Monday by giving Jamison a four-year, $50 million deal.

Arenas has proven to be one of the most dynamic players in the league when healthy, but two knee operations caused him to miss most of the last season. He has averaged 22.8 points, 5.5 assists and 4.2 rebounds in his seven-season NBA career.

The Wizards cannot comment on talks with Arenas or announce the deal until a league-mandated moratorium expires next week.

"It's a relief," Arenas told the Washington Times. "It was a burden at the same time. Your whole city is depending on you, wondering if you're going to make the right decision. I'm a franchise player and sometimes franchise players need to make franchise decisions."

It's nice that he "gave back $ 16 million", but I think the Wizards will end up regretting this deal by year 4, if not sooner, since I just don't see him ever getting back to the level he was at before.

Chris Paul extends for 4 yrs/$68 million (the last year is a player option, much like LeBron's current deal with the Cavs.)

Gerald Green signs a one-year minimum deal with Dallas.

Even if he washes out again, we'll always have this.

I agree on Arenas. Butler was their best player last year, and he costs the least out of these three guys. Arenas is a huge marketing boon to the Wizards here in D.C., moreso than most star players are to their particular franchises, but they're going to need to do better than 43 wins and a 5 seed to make the $30 mil a year they've put back into Jamison and Gilbert worthwhile from an actual basketball standpoint.

Good one?

It's starting to turn around though. I guess I'm just tiring of the constant "Bruins are cheap" bullshit. They've successfully signed good players in the last few years. Since you admittedly don't know much of anything about hockey maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself. I don't comment on basketball in this thread because I don't know anything about it.

As the old saying goes; Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they're all full of shit.

It's nice that he "gave back $ 16 million", but I think the Wizards will end up regretting this deal by year 4, if not sooner, since I just don't see him ever getting back to the level he was at before.

It's only $2 million or so per year if you divide it up. Yeah, 2 million a year, THAT's going to really help the Wizard and give them tons of flexibility.

I mean its nice that he 'gave some back' but lets not pretend this is going to be some big boon to the Wiz and they can use it to fill out their roster with talent or anything.

At least it's just for two years, though, and not five like Diop.

I have a feeling the Knicks are going to be signing a lot of one or two-year deals before 2010.

Guest !!!
The best part is that they gave him the full MLE. Chris Duhon! The MLE! lol

I thought the Knicks were supposed to stop being retarded now. Okay, guys: you'll get two Crazy Chris Duhon Games a year where he hits a fuck-ton of threes, and the rest of the season, he'll miss practice because he was too hung over to get out of bed before 1, and then he'll ask to miss games to watch March Madness. Another fine Duke Character Guy from Mike Krzyzewski's assembly line of horseshit.

But c'mon, he will be starting for the Knicks though, right?

If he is they're retarded. I know Starbury's a headcase supreme, but he's also a 20/8 career guy who's in a contract year. I really think he deserves the benefit of the doubt over Chris Duhon.

Well, he's been liked by his teammates so that's a step up from Marbury. Can play D, hit an open 3 sometimes, and doesn't turn the ball over. Not bad.

From YahooSports

Philadelphia 76ers forwards Rodney Carney, Calvin Booth and a future No. 1 pick have been traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves to free as much as $2 million in additional salary cap space for the Sixers to offer Elton Brand or Josh Smith, multiple league sources said.

Minnesota sends Philadelphia its $2.8 million trade exception from a 2007 deal of Mark Blount to the Miami Heat.

Carney and Booth have been told of the deal, sources said. The deal can’t be finalized until the NBA trade moratorium is lifted on Wednesday.

Carney has a future if he can learn to defend. Calvin Booth is still in the league much to the suprise of everyone...including Calvin Booth. That guy turned ONE FUCKING LAYUP into a huge contract. Fuck Jerome James, this guy made it big.

The Pacers have a guy on their summer league team named Stanley Burrell.

My official stance, I hate him, since he went to Xavier. However, he evolved into a pretty good defender his last two years at X. I think he has a shot of making a roster, Although he is black and his last name is not Rush so that could hurt his prospects in Indy.

Unless he has slicked down hair with 3 parts on the side and huge pants, i will be disappointed.

He also should be required to get Mike Dunleavy Jr. to wear his hair like this guy

a local radio station just reported that the Sixers and Elton Brand have agreed in principle to a 5 year deal worth 80 mill.

I wont give my hopes up till its on NBA.com, but they say the deal is basically done.

a local radio station just reported that the Sixers and Elton Brand have agreed in principle to a 5 year deal worth 80 mill.

I wont give my hopes up till its on NBA.com, but they say the deal is basically done.

The L.A. Times just reported that the deal is done