TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

The NBA Offseason Thread

Matt Barnes is a pretty good signing for PHX. He can help run the offense when Nash is on the bench, and he doesn't break down like Grant Hill.

Rant should root for a team out East. The emotional detachment from the Sonics is going to be pretty strong, but it'll be even worse if you pick up a team that they faced four times a year. Especially one that the Sonics have played in the playoffs, I know that I could not get behind a team like that. If the Lakers ceased to exist, I'd probably be a Bobcats fan. They fuckin' need 'em.

Apparently Gallinari is probably going to miss most of this season as he is "physically not ready to play" according to Mike Francesca. He mentioned something about knee and hamstring problems and that they also want him to skip the Olympics. I hated the pick when they made it, and it's looking even worse now if he sits out a year.

I don't know why you hated it when they made it (he was pretty impressive in his only Summer League game), but just get him healthy.

I don't trust European prospects enough to draft them early. Yes, Dirk was an MVP, but Darko was deemed a "can't miss" and if Detroit hadn't had the ability to absorb a bust with a # 2 pick that's a killer. If you're trying to rebuild at least pick a guy who you can count on being able to do one skill well. There were a lot better picks available at 6 then Danilo and if the Knicks knew he had health problems why would you bother drafting him? It's not like this was Greg Oden or someone who would be worth the wait.

Danilo was a starter on a good team in Europe. Nothing like Darko. He's played a shitload of games these past few years. I'm sure he's playing this season.

Yeah, this is a long term project with the Knicks. I think Danilo is going to be fine.

The problem with alot of the Euro bust, is that they came in with "they have the potential to be good" type label. They were bench players for their Euro teams but had size and athletism that people felt was going to be amazing in the NBA. Then...they weren't.

Danilo was/is a very good player for his team, not some "Maybe he will be good" guy. His size, ability to finish and his ability to get to the rim off the dribble against other bigs is going to be special.

Eddie House and Tony Allen re-sign with Boston for two years.

Bostjan Nachbar is going to Russia.

FINALLY a good move by Golden State. Marcus Williams could be a very good point guard for them.

Of course this still means that Steven Jackson will have to play the PF or something. because you know, they signed Corey Maggette to fill that hole at the Small forward that they had.

Again in the nobody watches the WNBA but Ripper catagory,

There was a nice little fight to close out the Sparks/Shock game. I hope Rick Mahorn doesn't catch too much shit because it looks like he pushed Lisa Leslie to the ground at first glance, although I think he was just being peace maker there.

Damn shame Ford fucked up her good knee trying to break the thing up too.

In my Hawks news, Childress is GONE. He signed with the greek team where he will no doubt be a beast(the guy is a REALLY underrated NBA player right now).

Get this....the Hawks offered him just over the Mid Level exception....but only after they offered him more money, and because he didn't take it immediately (not turn it down...just wanted to think it over), they pulled the offer and offered him less.

Also, they still haven't offered Josh Smith anything more than a 5 year 45 million dollar contract....

Man...way to fuck your team UP.

I see Ripper in this thread and I'm expecting profanities. Or maybe just sadness and resignation.

I had my profanity laced tirade the other day when the deal was announced. There was no question he was going to take it in my mind so I have accepted that.

Now i really feel they are going to lose Josh Smith since they STILL haven't offered him more than 9 mill a year. That or he is going to take the QO and definately be gone next season.

The thing that bothers me the most is that NO free agents ever Sign here. Ever. They never will. So what the fuck are you trying to save capspace for? Resign your goddamned players.

On top of that, they aren't negotiating with Marvin Williams for a extension which is even dumber now that his backup is gone, we have NO bench depth anymore (the team was realistically 6 deep...now we are 5 deep...) and it looks like Jeremy Richardson or Luke Jackson are going to be the guys that will take Chills minutes (or maybe a combination of Richardson and Mario West(who I love...hey Double quotes)).

I was upset when they resigned Mike Woodson. Now I feel even worse that they have let Josh Childress walk for NOTHING.

Oh for the days when Golden State was fucking up their future by making stupid moves. The Hawks apparently didn't like all that fucking up and had to step in. When you long for Billy Knight to be GM again, you know times are hard.

The Warriors keep beefing up that SF position, signing Maurice Evans to a three-year deal. And they're probably not going to match for Azubuike. I feel sorry for the coach who has to take that team over from Nelson.

Sebastian Telfair re-signs with Minnesota.

Again in the nobody watches the WNBA but Ripper catagory,

There was a nice little fight to close out the Sparks/Shock game. I hope Rick Mahorn doesn't catch too much shit because it looks like he pushed Lisa Leslie to the ground at first glance, although I think he was just being peace maker there.

I saw the video...I love the part where the LA gal nails him from behind with a forearm and he turns around on her like "BITCH IMMA FUCK YOU UP!"

How fitting that that happens in Detroit and it involves a team coached by Bill Laimbeer with assistant coach Rick Mahorn.

Some troll looking white dude just referenced Joey Styles yelling "CAT FIGHT!" in reference to the WBNA fight on SportsCenter.

For some reason, Maurice Evans thinks he's worth more than $2 million a year, so he didn't sign with the Warriors yet.

Chris Anderson back to Denver for one year.

Jason Hart back to the Clippers for Brevin Knight.

Well, I recall a total lack of interest in the best basketball series last year (WNBA finals) so I figured there wasn't much love going around.

And yes. Phoenix/Detroit was the best basketball series in 2007.

Yeah... that went about as expected. Would have been a better story if she'd done well but, come on... she's fuckin' fifty! She did have a couple of decent passes, but they might as well have put a folding chair out there on defense.

Nancy Liberman was one of the smartest basketball players I have ever seen. You know how you could watch Stockton play all day and even if you didn't know a damn thing about the game you could tell "this guy just knows what the fuck he is doing".

She was the same way. I don't think you could be more fundamentally sound. 50 year old Nancy LIberman...I don't know.

I'm sure that if she played a few more games, she'd pick up the offense easily enough; she'd still be terrible on defense, though. Reminds me of how Barkley is fond of saying "if I didn't have to play defense, I could come back tomorrow."

Word around the WNBA communities, however, appears to be that Lieberman may have just been doing the Shock a favor, since they didn't have enough players to field a team otherwise; Laimbeer is expected to sign another player or two tomorrow, and Lieberman is probably going to sit out the remainder of her seven-day and then go back to the booth.

Guest Vitamin X

That's still pretty awesome though, playing at 50 years old. Especially for a female athlete.

In the WNBA, the person initiating the incident gets the harshest punishment. What a novel concept. Take notes, NBA.