TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

The NBA Offseason Thread

I wonder what kinda job he will be able to do without Jordan around to undermine everything he says this time.

Personally I think he is a damn good basketball coach. Might not get you to a championship, but will get you on the road to one. Like Rick Carlise.

Yeah hes a solid coach. I just remember his mental meltdowns and celebrations with those old Bulls teams. I can't remember him doing that in Washington, so maybe old age has calmed him down. I guess it's as good a pick there is outside of Avery Johnson. He's at least more proven then all these assistant coaches.

Guest Desensitized

Eh. It could be worse. Maybe the Bulls can also bring back Dave Corzine. He's the pride of John Hersey High School, but mostly because I moved before I got there.

EDIT: also, Marlee Matlin

also, hearing-impaired cocks

Why is anyone pretending that Doug Collins is a bad coach?

he has 4 losing seasons in his career (although one was half a year in Detroit where he was 21-24...so really on 3 losing seasons).

the first year in Chicago and the last two year sin Washington. What the hell man?

Guest Desensitized

My Bulls spirit is so broken that I can't get more excited than "it could be worse," sadly. I do think he's a better choice than the bevy of assistants (and Jeff Hornacek?) that Paxson was going to interview, but I'd much rather have Scott Skiles.

I honestly think Collins is a better coach than Skiles. Maybe even Avery ( I am not completely convinced that having Paul Westphal, Donnie Nelson, Dell Harris and others on the bench with him didn't help Avery alot).

He seriously is a VERY good coach that has shown the ability to adapt to the styles of his teams and not so much just stick to one type of team, his players liked him, he knows the game and he is a winner.

I wish Atlanta had hired him.

Guest Desensitized

I think he was fired by the Bulls because the players that weren't Jordan hated him, actually. I've also heard that he was banging someone he should not have been. Everyone is really vague about the details of the whole thing. The problem is that he's an obvious short-term solution, and if some of these knuckleheads on the Bulls don't like Doug, they'll just befriend the assistant coach/coach-in-waiting and get Doug fired again. Also, everyone seems to think he'll be a nervous wreck in 30 games.

I wonder what kinda job he will be able to do without Jordan around to undermine everything he says this time.

Personally I think he is a damn good basketball coach. Might not get you to a championship, but will get you on the road to one. Like Rick Carlise.

Or Moses.

This whole Calderon vs. Ford thing. To put it from another perspective, assuming one is traded any bets on who takes the first match-up?

Too bad this wasn't Shaq vs. Kobe like proportions that it could be aired on Christmas.

This whole Calderon vs. Ford thing. To put it from another perspective, assuming one is traded any bets on who takes the first match-up?

Too bad this wasn't Shaq vs. Kobe like proportions that it could be aired on Christmas.

Probably Calderon since no contenders need PG's so Ford will be traded to a lowly team.

Hey this may be more of a college basketball question, but have any of you guys seen much of Anthony Randolph? I hear the comparisons to Bosh, and have seen him rumored to go as high as #5 to the Grizzlies. Like I said I haven't seen him play, but are the Grizzlies really in a position to "take a leap of faith" (from espn.com) and pick him?

Doug Collins to the Bulls means that he gets to talk about Michael Jordan even MORE than usual.

"When I was originally here in Chicago I observed Michael's work ethic and I realized that part of the reason Michael was so successful was that he practiced like he was playing in a game. When I got the job here, Michael called me and wished me well and told me that he had faith in what I am doing here. I really appreciate that coming from someone like Michael, but any time I get to hear from Michael is a real joy. I loved the years I spent with Michael and I consider Michael to be one of my closest friends."

Guest Desensitized

M. Jeff once walked out of a practice because score wasn't being kept accurately. Maybe that was part of why Doug was fired. Nobody will give a clear answer, but it was never any of that "get them from Point B to Point C" crap.

Yeah, I'd say so. It'll be interesting to see what Joe D does. Flip's most likely gone (Avery as replacement?). It's gonna be hard to move 'Sheed so we'll see how that plays out. Hunter will retire (McDyess might) and guys like Ratliff and Hayes probably won't be back. It's tough to blow up the team when they're in the NBA's final four every year, but 3 straight ECF losses means that significant changes have to be made.

Guest Vitamin X

Avery would make an excellent replacement for Flip Saunders, IMO, and Detroit really needs a better coach. It's been their Achilles heel for the last few years.

Avery's teams had the talent to win it all, but couldn't because they were mentally weak and had flaws in their offensive system... boy, sounds familiar to a Pistons fan. He should not be the next coach.

I'd instead be looking at coaches who DIDN'T have super-talented teams but still managed to do good things, that's usually a better sign of coach x-o and motivational qualities. It's too bad they couldn't go back in time and hire Nate McMillan.

Pistons should be looking to REVAMP their front-court. They should really be sick of big men who shoot long jumpers all day long, being near last in points in the paint, being out-hustled and beat on rebounds, their only inside banger being Maxiell, an undersized PF who isnt actually a good rebounder and has matchup problems with tall guys. They should roll with Amir Johnson, and start cashing in their chips (Sheed, a big expiring next seasons, Maxiell who is good trade bait because he's actually a little overrated, maybe McDyess) and try to nab a good Center. Chris Kamen anyone?

If you would trade Jason Maxiell for Chris Kamen, I have to wonder if you are Chris Kamen's agent. He simply isn't better than any one in their real front court rotation (i am not counting Ratliff that somehow got minutes in the playoffs).

I hope they fire Flip quickly so we can get him in Atlanta(yes, I know that Mike Woodson is going to come back. I am just hoping that Rick Sund is kinda racist or something and just want to stick it to the black man. If not I am going to start photoshopping pictures of Woodson fucking Sund's wife.)

They just need a clear cut offensive philosphy basically. Screw this "everyone gets theres" crap. Fuck balance. There should be at least two guys averaging over 20 points a game on this team (rasheed should be around 25).

You feed his fucking ass the ball on the block 17-20 times a night until he shoots the fucking ball. Then you have the shooters around him to make him better. Continue to run Rip around like a moron, only he needs to go back to cutting his route off below the 3 point line and becoming Mr. Midrange again.

The team has the same problem it had when Larry Brown was here. Spreading out the offense is cute and fun, but bottomline you need some guys that are straight up killers on offense that get a bulk of the shots. The Pistons have what many other teams in the league want. A guy that can consistantly score on the block, yet they make their primary scorers the jumpshooters and Rasheed a shooter(I know, you want to blame Sheed, but he is at the three point line by design.)

There simply shouldn't be one SINGLE possession where the pistons come down and either Billups or Rasheed aren't on the block. I personally think its lack of balls from all 3 of the coaches that have been there for this team in not phasing some guys out of the offense and making some more focused

The reason they were better when Ben Wallace was there was more because some guys had to be more assertive offensively because Ben Wallace sucked SO much.

If you would trade Jason Maxiell for Chris Kamen, I have to wonder if you are Chris Kamen's agent. He simply isn't better than any one in their real front court rotation (i am not counting Ratliff that somehow got minutes in the playoffs).

Seriously? Because Chris Kamen was pretty fucking awesome last year, just shy of 16 points, 13 rebounds and 3 blocks a night. Those are monster numbers, and I think every single GM in the NBA would take Kamen over Maxiell, or McDyess, and taking age into consideration over Rasheed too.

He only played 52 games. He didn't have the opportunity to fall back to mediocrity that he usually does. And it was a obvious abberation in his career. You can expect him to be back to earth next year.

Plus, all three of those guys are better defensive players than him despite his gaudy block numbers this year. If the Clippers could get maxiell for Kaman I think they would leap at the chance.

He only played 52 games. He didn't have the opportunity to fall back to mediocrity that he usually does. And it was a obvious abberation in his career. You can expect him to be back to earth next year.

Plus, all three of those guys are better defensive players than him despite his gaudy block numbers this year. If the Clippers could get maxiell for Kaman I think they would leap at the chance.

It was widely reported that Kaman discovered in the past off-season that he had been misdiagnosed with ADHD. Kaman and Mike Dunleavy both credited his improvement on the court to finally receiving the proper treatment, as he'd been plagued by lapses of concentration and short-term memory problems beforehand. He might not put up the same numbers with Brand playing, but as long as he's got his issues sorted out I don't see his improvement being an aberration.

And no, the Clippers would not leap at the chance to trade a 7 ft shotblocking, rebounding, low post scoring true center for an undersized power forward who's yet to prove himself as any more than a role player off the bench. What in the world makes you think that? Why would any team make that trade, much less a team that already has a great power forward?

Once again, Maxiell is a much better defender than Kaman.

Second, Kaman shoots a pretty bad precentage from the field when you take into consideration where all his shots come from. He, like you said is a low post scoring center that shoots 48 percent from the field. That is what people expect from good guard. Good Centers don't shoot below 50% from the field unless they are taking alot of jumpers.

His rebounding numbers this year are clearly a abberration, ADHD or not. He has averaged under 8 rebounds 3 times in his five year career. He had one year where he was near 10 per game, then all of a sudden this year, he gets 13 a game. But like I said, when you miss 30 games, your stats are giong to be a little inflated. He was having a good all year, but seriously, Kaman is kinda just worthless.

He can't defend opposing Centers or PF's at all, he isn't a good rebounder consistantly, he shoots a low percentage for a center or a PF. He basically does what Amare and Andrew Bogut do on defense. Ignore the pick and roll, play horrid defense on their on man, but will get you a few weakside blocks per game and people seem to think he can play defense because of it.

Yeah, Jason Maxiell is undersized....and still defends bigs better than Kaman. He is just as talented a shotblocker only takes fewer chances than Kaman, he also looks better on the block.

The only faucet of the game Kaman looks better at is being tall.

Once again, Maxiell is a much better defender than Kaman.

Second, Kaman shoots a pretty bad precentage from the field when you take into consideration where all his shots come from. He, like you said is a low post scoring center that shoots 48 percent from the field. That is what people expect from good guard. Good Centers don't shoot below 50% from the field unless they are taking alot of jumpers.

His rebounding numbers this year are clearly a abberration, ADHD or not. He has averaged under 8 rebounds 3 times in his five year career. He had one year where he was near 10 per game, then all of a sudden this year, he gets 13 a game. But like I said, when you miss 30 games, your stats are giong to be a little inflated. He was having a good all year, but seriously, Kaman is kinda just worthless.

He can't defend opposing Centers or PF's at all, he isn't a good rebounder consistantly, he shoots a low percentage for a center or a PF. He basically does what Amare and Andrew Bogut do on defense. Ignore the pick and roll, play horrid defense on their on man, but will get you a few weakside blocks per game and people seem to think he can play defense because of it.

Yeah, Jason Maxiell is undersized....and still defends bigs better than Kaman. He is just as talented a shotblocker only takes fewer chances than Kaman, he also looks better on the block.

The only faucet of the game Kaman looks better at is being tall.

Under no way, shape or form is Jason Maxiel is on the same level as Chris Kaman. The only thing Max has been his whole career with the Pistons is a spark off the bench. Its a well known fact when he plays big minutes, his size shows and his effectiveness wanes. Thats why he will never be a regular starter in the NBA. Kaman was a near all star last year. You cant be serious. If we want Chris Kaman, we would have to give up Rasheed plus another starter. A guy that averaged 12.7 rebounds over ANY 52 game stretch is a consistently good rebounder. Maxiell has had 3 games in his CAREER that was more than Kaman's rebounding average last year. Kaman also is lightyears better of an inside scorer than Maxiell. I think that would have helped a team that was at the bottom of the nba in points in the paint. Maxiell's offensive skillset is devoid of post skills. Of course if you watched the Pistons, youd know that.