TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

Michael Hayes Suspended For Being A Racist?

Jason Powell is reporting that Smackdown head writer Michael Hayes has been suspended by WWE for 60-days for using a derogatory term while speaking with Mark Henry. According to the source, Henry took offense and reported it to WWE officials.

Credit: Gerweck.net

Wasn't there alot of talk about "old school" guys being racist backstage when Lashley quit?

www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWE/article1001127.shtml:

WWE Smackdown writer Michael Hayes is currently serving a 60-day suspension for using a racial slur during WrestleMania 24 weekend. Hayes was at a public gathering and used a derogatory term while speaking with Mark Henry, who took offense and reported the issue to either Vince McMahon or Stephanie McMahon.

Hayes and MVP had been using the word while joking around together earlier in the night. It was a party setting and Hayes had been drinking when he approached Henry. A pair of sources confirmed that Hayes told Henry, "I'm more of a n----- that you are." One of the sources claims that it was a play on something MVP jokingly said about Hayes earlier in the night because of the white suit that he wore to the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony. Hayes then headbutted Henry in what one source described as a playful manner. Henry and Hayes exchanged words, and the former reported the issue to WWE officials.

Hayes, who normally goes on vacation the week after WrestleMania, was eventually informed of his suspension. Sources are unaware whether the suspension kicked in before or after his vacation was scheduled to begin. Either way, he has not appeared at any WWE functions since WrestleMania weekend.

Although a well-placed source told Dot Net that he believes Hayes was joking, multiple sources say he has a history of using the word and has been warned by Stephanie McMahon in the past. "On the surface they did the right thing, but this has been going on a long time," one colleague told Dot Net. However, the same source said that while Hayes has flippantly used the slur during creative sessions, he has never known him to use his power to bury a minority wrestler.

Powell's POV: One source explained to me that Hayes feels comfortable using the word around African Americans because he doesn't mean any harm. Of course, even if the word is accepted in some of his social circles, Hayes has to realize that he's working in the corporate world for a publicly traded company, not to mention how offensive that word is to many people. He's also in a position of power and I've heard from multiple sources that there are some wrestlers who laugh off these outbursts in front of Hayes, yet privately complain to others about his use of the word.

There are some people within the company who feel like Henry overreacted by reporting the incident and did so mostly because he was concerned about how it came off in front of others who witnessed the exchange. Again, though, I've heard from more people who felt like WWE officials should have addressed the problem with Hayes yeas ago. Furthermore, some sources are concerned that Henry will eventually pay a price politically, particularly if he remains on the Smackdown brand with Hayes. "Michael holds grudges," one source noted. "I'm talking for decades. You're his enemy for life."

If this already posted, I apologize.

a southern white guy getting a bit on the racist side...SHOCKING!

I'm sure it was some stupid comment that Hayes didn't even realize was bad...an example, here at work, there are a few people that still refer to black people as "colored". Doesn't offend me, but I'm sure it would offend others. I just laugh it off when I consider their age.

I'm sure it was some stupid comment that Hayes didn't even realize was bad.

Pretty much. If I had to take a guess, though, I would assume that Henry told Hayes that it wasn't acceptable, and instead of just apologizing, Hayes tried to justify it, which would be a bad call on his part. Mere speculation, though, since I wasn't there of course.

Since MVP has been spent about 10 yeas in the pen, he was probably use to all kinds of guys throwing it around especially here in Florida. I was a CO for about 6 months, and it was common for white inmates to use the word like I assume Hayes used it. The black inmates didn't care about white guys saying it, it was all about how the word was used.

Hayes joke probably went over well with MVP that he thought he'd try it with Henry - you need to know your audience. You tell a dirty joke to one co-worker and it's a laugh-riot, you tell it to another and it's sexual harassment.

a southern white guy getting a bit on the racist side...SHOCKING!

Yes, since there's no racism outside of the South.

What's your point?

You can't see the irony in your statement, Hayes being prejudiced and you not being surprised since he's from the South?

yes, I understand there is racism outside of the southern portion of the United States...considering I've only lived on the east coast and the midwest and have experienced racism, I do indeed understand that fact.

Could Hayes get himself out of trouble if he somehow proved that he was, in fact, more of a nigger than Henry?

noun

1. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive.

a. a black person.

b. a member of any dark-skinned people.

2. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.

3. a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by blacks; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised

Well...he's assed out on 1...but he could work on 2 and 3 and tip the scales in his favor.

yes, I understand there is racism outside of the southern portion of the United States...considering I've only lived on the east coast and the midwest and have experienced racism, I do indeed understand that fact.

Thanks.

How does that equate to saying, there's no racism outside of the South?

Hayes's attitudes, if all that is true, isn't typical in the South no matter what some think. That was the point.

How does that equate to saying, there's no racism outside of the South?

Hayes's attitudes, if all that is true, isn't typical in the South no matter what some think. That was the point.

Agreed. I've lived in Alabama all my life, and while there is still racism down here... it is nothing like the stereotypical view of this state or any state in the deep south.

Yeah...as long as he changed that er to an "a" everything is cool..

dumbass.

Lol ur an idiot! You do know "Nigger" and "Nigga" are not the same words......right?

This thread isn't going anywhere good, is it.

Yeah...as long as he changed that er to an "a" everything is cool..

dumbass.

Lol ur an idiot! You do know "Nigger" and "Nigga" are not the same words......right?

There's the proof.