TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

NHL Offseason Thread

Rob Blake signed with the Sharks for 5 million. It'll show up on one of the big sites soon.

Fuck that traitor pile of shit.

Fuck. I'm so mad. We need to bring in Jason Smith and a left handed shot for the back. Then we'll be set.

agreed. it was low not to waive his ntc then bolt in free agency. i think the kings always just assumed blake would be back.

the sharks with blake and boyle are pretty dangerous althoough blake has lost a step or three in his day.

the kigns are gonna be pretty bad again this year.

but in like two-three years, they'll be dangerous.

They were going to offer Blake a front office position had he re-signed. lolololol

I'm starting to think the Kings might not ever be a playoff team.

Since Boyle is the new member of the San Jose Sharks, Craig Rivet was the odd man out as he is now a Buffalo Sabres. SJ traded Rivet for some draft picks.

Since Blake went to SJ the Kings are in serious danger of not hitting the cap floor. They are at 27.756 and the floor is 40.7.

On behalf of the Boston Bruins fan base, I'd like to extend an offer of Glen Murray & Manny Fernandez to help the Kings reach the Salary Cap floor. I'd even be willing to throw in PJ Axelsson and/or Peter Schaefer as further enticement.

R.J Umburger signed a four year deal with Columbus today and Matt Stajan avoided arbitration with a two year deal, 3.5 million with the Leafs.

Matt Cooke signed with Pittsburgh for a two year deal. This signing will replace the void of Ryan Malone.

lol cooke will be the new pest now that ruutu is gone, he is no replacement for ryan malone

Actually, six. The NHL changed the schedules so that you play teams in your division six times instead of eight. And you play every team in the league too!

Brendan Morrison is now a Duck for two years, 4.5 million.

Mark Recchi signed a one year contract with the Bolts.

More fascinating Vancouver news:

The Blues signed Steve Bernier (the same Bernier that Vancouver traded for days ago from Buffalo...who used one of the picks in a package to get Craig Rivet out of San Jose after they got Dan Boyle...ahem...anyway) to an offer sheet for 2.5 million next season.

The Canucks matched right away.

This came after the Canucks made an offer sheet to the Blues David Backes last week...that the Blues matched.

It looks like for a little payback the Blues drove Bernier's price up for Vancouver who had him for peanuts about an hour ago.

No word on if Bernier is planning on using the extra money to get into shape.

Vancouver only had his rights. And if I'm the Canucks, I'm already questioning Bernier's commitment to the team. He's willing to sign an offer sheet to play for another team even though I just gave up picks for him?

Bernier's a questionable motherfucker. Attitude issues, work ethic problems, questionable loyalty to the team who owns his rights...sounds like a real great guy.

Demitra signing the same contract as Ryder makes me incredibly happy. Ryder has at least performed well in the new NHL, minus the down year last year. Demitra has never had the number that he had before the lockout.

Bernier was an RFA. Restricted free agent.

If he was a UFA (unrestricted) once he signed the contract with the Blues, he becomes Blues property. RFA's can be given offer sheets by teams but the player HAS to sign it for it to be matched by his team. If the Blues offered Bernier the contract and he told them to take a flying leap, nothing happens. Bernier signed it, which gave the Canucks 7 days to match. Obviously, since they just gave up something for him only a few days ago, they matched.

Yeah I forgot he was a RFA. I should have known that since I live in Buffalo where he just was but I thought he still had time on his contract. Believe me...I know how RFA works...it's how we ended up having to pay Thomas Vanek half the money in the city of Buffalo.

I don't see a problem with offer sheets either. It just sucks when it happens to you and someone else gets to dictate what you pay your players.

Vanek was going into his THIRD NHL season when someone threw mad money at him.

Don't blame them for trying.

Don't blame him for signing.

Don't blame them for matching.

What I DO this is absurd is that he'd played 2 seasons when he became restricted. That's ridiculous.

I read that and just went WOW. I can't believe no one wanted to take a chance on him.

Senators signed Jason Smith for two years, $5.2m. I like this signing, although a small part of me worries that they may have gotten another Mike Commodore.