TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

NHL Offseason Thread

While I'm thrilled to have a veteran blue-liner that's a good locker room presence back, I have real concerns about his health.

He battled injuries throughout this past season, and as he gets older those aches & pains will be tougher to play through. Hopefully they can ease Stuart or Lashoff into more playing time and limit Ward's minutes.

He doesn't help anyone sitting in a suit on the 9th floor of the "Garden".

His injuries were almost all from blocking shots, which tells me that he's still in the game well enough.

Missed 2 games after getting his bell rung by that pussy Brisebois.

Missed 3 with an ankle injury after blocking a shot.

Missed 8 with a broken foot after blocking a shot.

Missed 4 with a bruised foot after blocking a shot.

Missed game 5 against the Scabs with a knee injury.

None of the injuries are Glen Murray injuries, like missing 19 games because he skated too hard. Plus, the money's not bad for a guy of his skill who is still able to play at a high level and can play whereever. I think they'll lock Stuart up long-term, and he'll be given the chance to anchor the second pairing with Ference.

His injuries were almost all from blocking shots, which tells me that he's still in the game well enough.

Missed 2 games after getting his bell rung by that pussy Brisebois.

Missed 3 with an ankle injury after blocking a shot.

Missed 8 with a broken foot after blocking a shot.

Missed 4 with a bruised foot after blocking a shot.

Missed game 5 against the Scabs with a knee injury.

None of the injuries are Glen Murray injuries, like missing 19 games because he skated too hard. Plus, the money's not bad for a guy of his skill who is still able to play at a high level and can play whereever. I think they'll lock Stuart up long-term, and he'll be given the chance to anchor the second pairing with Ference.

Duly noted, max, but it still doesn't change my mind. The guy is going to play his game, which includes blocking shots. He missed 15 games this year because of the way he plays the game. Add in two more years of age, and those 15 games are likely to increase, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have him back and think that he'll help the team next season ... it's the second year that has me more concerned.

(And I agree with you 100% on the money, it's terrific for someone of his skillset - he could have gotten more on the open market and it's always nice to see a guy take a 'hometown discount')

The new coach of the Avalanche is...the old coach, Tony Granato. Seems a bit odd.

Is Valeri Kamenski coming out of retirement anytime soon?

This will not be announced or acknowledged until well after the fact, but Bob Cole is calling his last Stanley Cup final for the CBC.

The veteran announcer's future with Hockey Night in Canada is a sensitive subject that management will not discuss.

But sources close to CBC Sports say Cole's assignments next season will not include the NHL's championship series, although he will continue to call regular-season games.

In a recent interview, Cole said he wishes to continue with a full schedule of games next season. Despite his age, which is about 75, he feels he is in top form.

Cole's play-by-play has received good reviews and the network is pleased with his work, but his schedule in 2008-09 is likely to be reduced.

A source close to the network said: “Bob wants to continue and he will. But next year, Jim Hughson will do the play-by-play for the Stanley Cup final.”

Hughson, who signed a six-year contract extension with the CBC this year, will take over as the lead voice of Hockey Night next season.

Insiders say the CBC would like to honour Cole, who has been calling games for the corporation since 1969. A celebration, perhaps a dinner, has been suggested, but it isn't clear Cole is interested.

Cole started in radio and has been the lead play caller on Hockey Night since the 1980s. He says his most memorable games include those of the Summit Series in 1972, for which he did CBC Radio play-by-play, and the seventh game of the 1987 Philadelphia Flyers-Edmonton Oilers Stanley Cup final.

But tops, he says, was the men's gold-medal game, Canada-United States, at the Salt Lake Olympics in 2002.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

THANK GOD. Even though this is 10 years too late, i'm thrilled that Jim Hughson is finally going to get the spotlight he deserves. Bob Cole used to be the man back in the day but his days are well behind him. Even though he is STILL going to be doing regular season games next year, he should only be kept around in a nostalgic role, perhaps during a Leafs/Habs game or during the inpending Heritage Classic next year.

Guest Desensitized

Speaking of, sounds like there might be a New Year's Day game at Wrigley Field after all. That was the report during Cubs postgame tonight.

Yeah, from what I've heard - and these rumors seem to be changing constantly - the proposed Rangers/Bruins game at Yankee Stadium might not come to fruition, and if it doesn't happen, Chicago hosting Detroit is the second option.

Obviously I'd prefer the former, as it (1) involves the team that I support & (2) is close enough that I could go to the game ... but Hawks/Wings would be fine as well.

And I've also heard a rumor that Pittsburgh & Philly are pushing for an annual game between those two teams, at Penn State. I'd like to think that the league will limit the number of outdoor games each season (any more than "1" is too many) and will also try to showcase as many different marquee teams, players and cities as possible. Sorry, Pennsylvania, no annual game for you.

To "help grow the team and the sport in Florida", reports indicate that Tampa Bay could be bringing back one of hockey's all-time greatest mullets. Yes, they're hoping Barry Melrose will coach.

Tortorella's phone would be ringing before he even got to his car. Ottawa. San Jose (they need him there BADLY). Toronto. Atlanta.

Tortorella and Toronto would make the Leafs more enjoyable to watch (including pre and post game, plus off-season, draft, day off, road trips, all-star break, christmas break).

Tortorella's phone would be ringing before he even got to his car. Ottawa. San Jose (they need him there BADLY). Toronto. Atlanta.

I'm finding myself, more and more, subscribing to the theory that "You can't be a nice guy to be a good coach". (It seems like an awfully long time ago that Therrien called out the Pens, doesn't it?)

With that, Torts would fit like a glove in any of the cities you mentioned.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=239614&lid...s=topStory_main

TSN and the NHL have agreed to a new six-year broadcast and digital rights deal that provides the NHL on TSN with more coverage of Canadian teams than ever before.

The agreement commences with the 2008-09 season in Ocotber and runs through the 2013-14 campaign.

Under terms of the deal, TSN secures exclusive Canadian specialty television rights for national English-language broadcast and digital coverage of NHL games. Details of the agreement are as follows:

- TSN will televise 70 regular season games annually; for the first time, all games will feature at least one Canadian team

- TSN will televise the first three rounds of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, with the possibility of featuring a Canadian team in the Conference Quarter-Finals; marks the first time TSN would have coverage of a Canadian team in the post-season

- Vast majority of games will be in High Definition on TSN HD

- Suite of digital rights for TSN telecasts includes broadband, wireless and video-on-demand

- Continued exclusivity of Wednesday Night Hockey, in which there are no other national or local telecasts

- Continued exclusive Canadian coverage of the NHL Entry Draft and NHL Draft Lottery Special

"This landmark agreement provides TSN with its strongest NHL package ever, said Rick Brace, President, Revenue, Business Planning and Sports, CTV Inc. "Giving Canadian hockey fans more coverage of their teams has always been a top priority for TSN and this new deal delivers with greater access to Canadian teams and expanded hockey coverage on the digital platforms. The deal underscores TSN's valued partnership with the NHL and we look forward to reaching new audiences and achieving new milestones with our all-encompassing NHL programming."

Headlining TSN's increased Canadian team coverage is the Toronto Maple Leafs with 17 appearances annually, followed by Montreal with 15, and 10 appearances each for Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa.

"TSN does an outstanding job of capturing all aspects of NHL hockey, and we are extremely pleased that our fans in Canada can look forward to six more seasons of creative, innovative and passionate NHL coverage," said NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly.

Not sure why every game has to include a Canadian team, but otherwise, it sounds like a good deal.

The more I think about it, the more the fact that all the games will have a Canadian team seems dumb to me. I could understand if it was every Wednesday night game, but you're really limiting yourself in terms of match-ups if every game has to have one of 6 teams. If they pick up American feeds of some games, that's cool, but otherwise, I don't understand the logic.

Four things. It's late, so just headlines

1) Hasek to retire tomorrow.

2) Looks like Ron Wilson is the new Leafs coach, contract signing Monday.

3) What's this about the HNIC theme being dropped? I'm fully prepared to write Parliament over this.

4)

Dave Hodge, TSN: My thumb is down to everybody who developed a rash and a fever and high blood pressure when they heard Tiger Woods say that no one watches hockey. Over-reaction isn't the right term - this bordered on hysteria. First of all, maybe Tiger was just having some fun with the folks in Hockeytown. Or maybe he lacked a sense of humour and chose to promote golf by ignoring and dismissing hockey. Or maybe he hates hockey. This constant need of, Canadians, mostly, to take offence whenever hockey isn't treated religiously - the desire to make hockey fans out of those who can live without it - this is why the NHL has teams in the wrong places. Those who watch hockey - stop worrying about those who don't. And stop fussing about Tiger Woods.

I only like hockey, golf, beer, HDTV, and WalMart - surely worlds would have collided there, but why haven't I heard of this? Dave Hodge of TSN said the above on The Reporters this morning.

Woods was asked if he was rooting for Detroit or Pittsburgh.

Woods started to laugh, then landed a zinger.

"I don't really care. Let's talk about the Dodgers," the California native said. "I don't think anybody really watches hockey anymore."

It was a complete non-story.

Hasek's probably in the top five all time for goaltending and his contributions to the Wings will always be appreciated but it was time to move on. Osgood is obviously going to see an increased workload and hopefully Jimmy Howard gets some solid backup time to develop his game.

Woods was asked if he was rooting for Detroit or Pittsburgh.

Woods started to laugh, then landed a zinger.

"I don't really care. Let's talk about the Dodgers," the California native said. "I don't think anybody really watches hockey anymore."

It was a complete non-story.

Yeah, I read James Duthie's column this morning; I guess it was an off-the-cuff thing. Meh. That doesn't bother me, and I'm no Tiger fan.

And while it won't effect my enjoyment of HNIC in any way, it's beyond surreal that the theme will now be on TSN....and possibly even on ESPN, for that matter.

Continuing on with anecdotes about my brother's dislike for Nickelback, I once joked that "Saturday Night's Alright" had actually overtaken the theme as CBC began their Saturday broadcasts. He believed me, and went apeshit.

It's official. Ron Wilson is the new head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Still the team hasn't improved.

Way to go Leafs, bring in a coach before a GM. That really gives the new GM lots of say. "You can do whatever you want, just as long as ownership recomends and approves it. Oh, and you have to use this coach too. Enjoy"