CanadianGuitarist

Your Top Five Anything

Top 5 Superstars of all time:

5. Bret Hart

4. The Rock

3. SCSA

2. Flair

1. Hogan

Good top 4, but I'd question leaving Andre the Giant off the list in place of Bret Hart.

ok, I meant Top 5 Superstars since January 23, 1984. sorry

No worries, but even with that date range... I'd probably still put Andre the Giant on the list in place of Bret Hart. Even past his prime, Andre was a bigger mainstream star than Bret ever was... but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Your opinion is wrong. Andre was champ for what like, a couple of weeks. The Hitman held the title longer and main evented more. What's wrong with you man, are you French? Bret Hart> Andre and I'm sure everyone else here will agree

Top 5 Most Important/Influential Matches of All Time (Game Changers, so to speak):

5. Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart - Survivor Series 1997

4. The Main Event at Bash at the Beach 1996

3. Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon: Wrestlemania X

2. Hulk Hogan vs. Nick Bockwinkel - Super Sunday

1. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin: I Quit - Wrestlemania XIII

I don't have a rebuttal list, but:

a) I think WM14 made Austin more than 13, as least as far as influence.

b) I don't know the story on #2. I'm not HTQ as far as wrestling knowledge or anything, but if it's so important and/or influential, shouldn't I know the story off-hand? I could see Sheik-Hogan from MSG in 84, and that's a stretch, as your list is missing:

c) No Hulk-Andre?

Five favourite promos:

1) Bret's official heel turn on American fans

2) Heyman's worked shoot

3) Foley's "Cane Dewey"

4) Vince convincing Foley to fight Terry Funk on Raw, sometime in May 98

5) Michaels in Montreal before SS '05

5. Bret Hart

4. The Rock

3. SCSA

2. Flair

1. Hogan

Good top 4, but I'd question leaving Andre the Giant off the list in place of Bret Hart.

No worries, but even with that date range... I'd probably still put Andre the Giant on the list in place of Bret Hart. Even past his prime, Andre was a bigger mainstream star than Bret ever was... but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Your opinion is wrong. Andre was champ for what like, a couple of weeks. The Hitman held the title longer and main evented more. What's wrong with you man, are you French? Bret Hart> Andre and I'm sure everyone else here will agree

Ha. Needless to say, no.

b) I don't know the story on #2. I'm not HTQ as far as wrestling knowledge or anything, but if it's so important and/or influential, shouldn't I know the story off-hand?

Trust me, it belongs on this list. That was the match where Hogan FINALLY won the AWA title from Bockwinkel before having the decision reversed on the spot for throwing Bockwinkel over the top rope after a ref bump. The fans nearly rioted (in 1983!). Hogan finally realized he wasn't going to get what he wanted from Verne Gagne, and left for the WWF that year. You could pretty much point to this match as being the definitive turning point in modern pro wrestling history, as Vince got his huge draw and went national, eventually putting everyone else (including Gagne) out of business.

I would've put Hogan/Andre on the list too, though.

Top 5 Most Important/Influential Matches of All Time (Game Changers, so to speak):

5. Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart - Survivor Series 1997

4. The Main Event at Bash at the Beach 1996

3. Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon: Wrestlemania X

2. Hulk Hogan vs. Nick Bockwinkel - Super Sunday

1. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin: I Quit - Wrestlemania XIII

I don't have a rebuttal list, but:

a) I think WM14 made Austin more than 13, as least as far as influence.

b) I don't know the story on #2. I'm not HTQ as far as wrestling knowledge or anything, but if it's so important and/or influential, shouldn't I know the story off-hand? I could see Sheik-Hogan from MSG in 84, and that's a stretch, as your list is missing:

c) No Hulk-Andre?

I debated on putting Hulk/Andre on it, and that match could easily be put in place of the Montreal Screwjob.

Hogan/Bockwinkel is influential in that if the ending of that match didn't happen the way it did... Hulkamania wouldn't have happened. It was the catalyst for Hogan jumping to the WWF.

Austin/Hart wasn't influential for just making Austin. It was the match that basically said, "Alright... it's ok to cheer for the guy acting like a heel, and boo the guy acting like a face". It shifted the whole mentality of good guy/bad guy in addition to beginning the start of Austin's mega-push and beginning the fall of Bret Hart.

WTF? Is this for real?

5. Bret Hart

4. The Rock

3. SCSA

2. Flair

1. Hogan

Regardless of all that, Andre was still the bigger "superstar", even in the twilight of his career. A popular movie role in addition to having a role in drawing all those people to Wrestlemania III and wrestling in the most watched match in television history tops the list.

I don't think most people would.

If we're going purely on size of a wrestler's star so to speak...

I think the top 5 since 84 (since that what it was) for me would be in no order:

Austin, Hogan and Flair would be there.

After that I'd probably settle on Rock and Andre...

Guys, stop feeding the troll.

Anyways, here are my Top 5 Favorite Latter Day WCW Saturday Night Wrestlers

5. Mark Jindrak (the angry basketball player gimmick days)

4. Kid Romeo

3. Shark Boy

2. "Hard Work" Bobby Walker

1. Barry Darsow

Honorable mentions: Barry Horowitz, Emory Hale, and Elix Skipper

WTF? Is this for real?

Andre > Everyone ever, forever.

andre5.jpg

"I'm on the Brute Squad."

WTF? Is this for real?

Andre > Everyone ever, forever.

andre5.jpg

"I'm on the Brute Squad."

"You ARE the Brute Squad."

One of my favourite one-liners ever came as a result of Andre - from SNME, when Duggan and Andre were feuding.

Vince: "You're defending Andre's interference on behalf of Dibiase?"

Ventura: "Sure! Would you want Jim Duggan as world champion? I certainly wouldn't!"

One of my favourite one-liners ever came as a result of Andre - from SNME, when Duggan and Andre were feuding.

Vince: "You're defending Andre's interference on behalf of Dibiase?"

Ventura: "Sure! Would you want Jim Duggan as world champion? I certainly wouldn't!"

That's really damn funny. God, I miss Jesse on commentary. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Top 5 matches I've seen live...

1. Hogan/Rock, Wrestlemania X8

2. Hart Fondation Vs. Austin/LOD/Goldust/Shamrock, IYH: Canadian Stampede 97

3. TAKA Michinoku Vs. The Great Sasuke, IYH: Canadian Stampede 97

4. Kurt Angle Vs. Edge, SD! 2002, Steel Cage

5. Ric Flair Vs. Undertaker, Wrestlemania X8

Honorable Mentions: Benoit Vs. Austin RAW 2001, Taker Vs. Vader Canadian Stampede 97, HHH Vs. Mankind Canadian Stampede 97, Undertaker Vs. Randy Orton SD! 2002.

TOP 5 1980'S TAG TEAMS

5. The Midnight Express (Condrey/Eaton)

4. The Rock N' Roll Express (Gibson/Morton)

3. The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes/Gordy/Roberts)

2. The Von Erichs (Kerry/Kevin/David)

1. The Road Warriors (Hawk/Animal)