TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Speed Racer

Just thought I'd put my two cents in on this, the second big summer movie so far this year. It's not a bad film overall, but it's got some pretty severe flaws that are going to hurt it's chances with audiences.

I think the biggest problem overall is that it does not know who it wants to placate to. It's rated PG, so clearly by that standard they're aiming for the kids market. Unfortunately, the film clocks in at an astonishingly long 2 hours and 15 minutes, so many kids will be ready to leave halfway through the film. Also, while kids will enjoy the bright colors and the fact paced action during the race scenes, they will be put off by the heavy doses of dialog and exposition which will put them to sleep before they can even make it to the action sequences.

Adults and fans will like a lot of the nods to the original series, but will likely end up bored and confused by the needlessly complicated plot and large number of plot holes. Also, the character of Speed's younger brother and the monkey, while clearly written to keep kids engaged in between the scenes heavy on dialog, are combined enough to drag down this entire flick. Although I appreciate the Wachowski brothers devotion to remain true to the style of the original show, and anime in general, I can definitely see people quickly getting tired of all the bright colors in the film, it's just too damn colorful, and it gets distracting after a while.

On the plus side however, the race sequences are a lot of fun, and the Wachowski's definitely did a good job at least replicating the feel of the original series.

Overall, this film tries to be everything to everyone, and ends up failing as a result. Children will be put to sleep by the length and endless amounts of storytelling, while Adults likely won't appreciate the visuals and the story. I can definitely see dedicated fans being able to look beyond the glaring flaws of the film and enjoy it, but as it stands this movie is going to suffer at the box office, and will quickly be swallowed up by Iron Man this weekend, and Narnia the next.

I give the film a C

I wanted pure visuals, and will see it on IMAX. All that storyline sounds like a drag, and I am not a fan of the series at all. Better bring some drugs.

I am conflicted: on one hand, I am madly in lust with Christina Ricci, and watch most everything she's in. On the other hand, this movie looks awful and, based on the trailers, I have a dread suspicion that if I had to sit still and watch the whole movie, I would have a Porygon reaction to it.

I saw this.

First off there were maybe 20 people at the midnight showing after the movie ended this is what I told my friends:

This movie is gonna bomb and bomb horribly. People are gonna hate it. If you are over the age of 30 your gonna want to rip your eyeballs out. However, that's because people aren't ready for a movie this kinetic. This is a movie for a generation of kids that have 500 tv stations to chosse, an 80 gig ipod and a cell phone all before they are 10. This is the future. This is is groundbreaking film-making but no one is ready for it.

In 20 years this is gonna be a cult favorite. This is this generation's Monster Squad. A movie that is way too ahead of it's time, bombs horribly and 20 odd years later everyone loves and wishes they had seen it in theathers. If you have a 4-year old in your family in 20 years he's gonna be sitting in a bar talking to his co-workers on how he used to watch this movie all the time on his dad's old blu-ray player and wishes he saw it in Imax.

This movie is great and everyone should see it. This is probably one of the most experimental hollywood film in years. The brothers are re-writting filmmaking with every scene. Having said all that all of you will hate it. No one will get it. And the Wochowski brothers will be lucky if they get to direct Elektra 2. They're never working again. Enjoy!

I saw this.

First off there were maybe 20 people at the midnight showing after the movie ended this is what I told my friends:

This movie is gonna bomb and bomb horribly. People are gonna hate it. If you are over the age of 30 your gonna want to rip your eyeballs out. However, that's because people aren't ready for a movie this kinetic. This is a movie for a generation of kids that have 500 tv stations to chosse, an 80 gig ipod and a cell phone all before they are 10. This is the future. This is is groundbreaking film-making but no one is ready for it.

In 20 years this is gonna be a cult favorite. This is this generation's Monster Squad. A movie that is way too ahead of it's time, bombs horribly and 20 odd years later everyone loves and wishes they had seen it in theathers. If you have a 4-year old in your family in 20 years he's gonna be sitting in a bar talking to his co-workers on how he used to watch this movie all the time on his dad's old blu-ray player and wishes he saw it in Imax.

This movie is great and everyone should see it. This is probably one of the most experimental hollywood film in years. The brothers are re-writting filmmaking with every scene. Having said all that all of you will hate it. No one will get it. And the Wochowski brothers will be lucky if they get to direct Elektra 2. They're never working again. Enjoy!

Except you...

Looks terrible, but I became interested when I learned that Matthew Fox plays Racer X. The film has actually gotten decent reviews, too. Went from "last movie I'd ever want to see" to "Hmm, maybe".

Better bring some drugs.

That was my first thought when I saw the trailer: "Man, that would be a cool movie to see... but only if I was completely stoned outta my mind."

I am madly in lust with Christina Ricci, and watch most everything she's in.

Double ditto. Although that's not always a good thing, as anyone who's suffered through Bless the Child or Cursed will tell you. But truthfully by now Ricci's appeared in enough nude scenes to slake my lust so that I wouldn't go see some piece of shit like Speed Racer just to see her.

I AM MORE EVOLVED THAN ALL OF YOU. BOW BEFORE THE UBERMENSCH.

Except you...

Yeah, that came off a bit conceited to me too.

The film has actually gotten decent reviews, too.

Not very many.

I don't usually go by Rotten Tomatoes' reviews. The people there seem to hate just about everything. For me, a movie doesn't have to revolutionize the whole concept of film making to be considered quality. Shit... the Rocky movies are some of the best ever, and they made the same movie like 6 times.

The only way I'd ever want to bother with this is if I saw it in IMAX and saw all the really bizarre visuals. It might end up being a cult hit for stoners, but it will likely tank in theaters.

I don't usually go by Rotten Tomatoes' reviews. The people there seem to hate just about everything. For me, a movie doesn't have to revolutionize the whole concept of film making to be considered quality. Shit... the Rocky movies are some of the best ever, and they made the same movie like 6 times.

That's not really true, given that rottentomatoes surveys most of the top critics in the country. Speed Racer's metacritic rating is also a 36

I'm tempted to see it in theaters.

If I do, it still won't be the worst movie that I've ever seen in theaters.

After all, I've seen "Super Mario Bros.", "Batman & Robin" and "Inspector Gadget" in theaters.

You know, when I saw Batman and Robin in 1997 I mostly just thought it was sorta stupid but not all time level bad. As in like a *1/2 or ** movie. But then I checked it out again during a marathon of Batman movies before Begins came out and it's a laugh riot. Say what you want about Arnold, but at least he can pull off the really cheesy one liners, which I can't say about Tommy Lee Jones.

When I saw the trailer I wasn't sure why it seemed so many people were UBER-excited for this flick. It seemed like there was a mix of people trying to out geek-gasms each other and people who decided to PRETEND they loved the cartoon as a child just to prove they were a "REAL speed racer fan"

Most reviews I have read have backed up my skepticism.

I will be skipping this one.

EDIT: Oh and about Monster Squad. It might have bombed at the theaters, but I first saw it when I was about eight years old and LOVED IT as a child. Most people I know saw it when they were kids. It might have been overlooked in theaters, but plenty of people know it and have liked it as kids. I would hardly call it a "Cult Classic" Now being an owner of it, I don't even think it is all that "great" of a movie, but as a child I looked at it as a scary monster version of Goonies. The difference is that The Goonies still holds up as a great movie to me even as an adult, while Monster Squad I get a kick out of for nostalgic reasons but can easily recognize it not being half as good as I thought as a child.

Like the consensus, I will be checking this out only because its in the IMAX and also, under heavy influence of mary jane for sure. Otherwise I'm sure this flick would annoy me to no end if I just saw it in a regular crappy theatre completely sober. I'm shocked they actually didn't do a 3D release of this, as a movie like this looks just perfect for that technology.

It should have been completely CGI instead of the psuedo real actors with CGI crap.

Why? I wouldn't even bother going at all if it was complete CGI, that much I know.

That's not really true, given that rottentomatoes surveys most of the top critics in the country. Speed Racer's metacritic rating is also a 36

Yeah, there are no "people there", it's gathered from just about every newspaper in the country and some of the more high-profile online reviews too. It's a consensus from the entire critiic industry. And they don't hate everything. While Speed Racer got 35, Iron Man got a 92.

After all, I've seen "Super Mario Bros.", "Batman & Robin" and "Inspector Gadget" in theaters.

Hey now. The first movie, while goofy and disappointing, does not deserve the horrible fate of being lumped in with the other two.

You know, when I saw Batman and Robin in 1997 I mostly just thought it was sorta stupid but not all time level bad. As in like a *1/2 or ** movie. But then I checked it out again during a marathon of Batman movies before Begins came out and it's a laugh riot. Say what you want about Arnold, but at least he can pull off the really cheesy one liners, which I can't say about Tommy Lee Jones.

I still contest that Batman and Robin is one of the most underrated comedies of all time.

Oddly enough I might find B & R the 2nd most watchable of the original 4 movies, behind just the first Batman. Batman Forever is the one that is really dated and doesn't hold up with time, since some people thought it was a real movie when it was out instead of camp cheese. The sad aspect of the Batman sequels from 1992-97 is that they actually DO cast the right people in the villain roles and STILL fuck it all up with hideous writing, a misguided take on the characters, or bad direction.

Oddly enough I might find B & R the 2nd most watchable of the original 4 movies, behind just the first Batman. Batman Forever is the one that is really dated and doesn't hold up with time, since some people thought it was a real movie when it was out instead of camp cheese. The sad aspect of the Batman sequels from 1992-97 is that they actually DO cast the right people in the villain roles and STILL fuck it all up with hideous writing, a misguided take on the characters, or bad direction.

You think Batman & Robin is more watchable than Batman Returns?

Call me crazy, but... I liked Speed Racer. I really did, and I wasn't on drugs. I'd never even seen the series, but this movie worked for me. It took itself seriously but not too seriously, and the cast was really good. Too long, though.

Besides all that, it was probably the most visually stunning movie I've ever seen. So if you see it, see it on IMAX, like I did.

I don't care what anyone says, one of the best scenes in any Batman movie was at the Beginning of Batman Returns while Hell is being raised in Gotham and they turn on the signal and it reflects off the mirror outside @ Wayne Manor and shines threw the window of Wayne's study while he's in thought and he stands up w/ the signal behind him and Danny Elfman's theme kicks in.

Speed Racer made 5.85 million on Friday and is on pace to make 19.5 million for the weekend. Ouch, that is an even bigger flop than expected. It was predicted to make about 30 million or so.

As far as the Batman movies go, of course Batman Returns is a better movie than Batman and Robin, with better acting and direction. But the movie is flat out no fun and is really quite disturbing. And truth be told, some parts of it are as idiotic as the Schumacher movies, except this is idiotic in the Tim Burton vein. An army of penguins with bombs descending on Gotham? Burton got Catwoman right for the most part (though the origin is certainly bizarre), but his take on the Penguin is as misguided as Schumacher's take is on Two Face or Mr. Freeze. Oh, and Batman Returns is the epitome of the series almost forgetting that Batman is supposed to be the star of his own movie, with the heels running wild and the Dark Knight gets little screen time.

Why do you think Schumacher ended up doing the sequels after Returns? It's because a lot of people thought Batman Returns SUCKED and wanted a new direction.

Mr. Freeze the character is perfectly fine in Batman & Robin. It is the dialogue that ruins him. Poison Ivy is the one who's motivations and methods make little sense.

I agree about Batman Returns though. You are absolutely right. People really disliked it at the time and thought Batman Forever was a big improvement, which for all its faults at least tried to give some depth to the Bruce Wayne/Batman character by going into his backstory a little bit.

The only one I'd actually consider good is the first one, and Jack Nicholson largely carries that film on his back. Returns probably could of worked if they had just stuck with Shrek as the main villain, but all the Penguin junk completely ruins it.

Oh Em Gee, there are people who agree with me about the loathesome Penguin being a horrible film-wrecking monstrosity in Batman Returns? Well holy shit. Also agree on the "Not enough Batman in this Batman movie" point. Although I did think the Batman/Catwoman love/hate story was strong enough to still make it worthwhile, even though I really wish they had focused on that a lot more and just left Danny Devito at home. The scene at the fancy party where they discover each other still gives me a chill.

But I wouldn't go anywhere near saying Batman & Robin was any good in any way. That was the single worst comic book movie I've ever seen. And I've seen Superman IV, Return of Swamp Thing, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and X-Men 3. It's like they were trying to go back to the old Adam West style of humor, but had no idea why that was funny. Arnold's endless puns were just the dirt worst, especially since it was fairly obvious that the script had been rewritten to make his part bigger once he was cast in the role. Not to mention that none of the actors were even trying; Clooney and Thurman both looked like they just didn't give a shit and didn't want to be there. Plus, the movie also killed Alicia Silverstone's career stone dead.