TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The NHL all-time draft

I'll fill out my top four defencemen here:

laperriere_jacques.jpg

Jacques Laperriere, D

Calder Trophy winner, Norris Trophy winner, four Cups in 9 seasons, and a terrific defensive defenceman. And he's freaking tall.

And another Hab, since I've heard they tend to be good:

bgeoffrion.jpg

Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, RW

Two Art Ross Trophies, a Calder, a Hart, eleven All-Star Games, and hey, six Cups.

I've got three more defensemen in my head (I think I'll land two) and then I have another forward I want, and then I know that no one is going to take my favorite player, and I plan on picking him last. So that's what, 5? I have a list of 5. How many rounds are left?

I've got a list of six, but I threw it to the wind with my Schnieder pick.

Harry Howell

I've got a list of six five, but I threw it to the wind with my Schnieder pick.

Even though the well of great/very good defensemen is starting to run dry, I want to add one more forward before I go back to worrying about my blue line, and who better than a 70 goal scorer, a guy that averaged over 40 goals/season while with the Kings, a guy that whose run near the top could have lasted longer if LA didn't deal him to NYC ... the Northern Lights Five are proud to welcome Bernie Nicholls to the organization.

img1.jpg

Fucking MFerXtreme. Fuck that. Mother fucker (ba dum shish).

P196608S.jpg

I'll settle for Babe Pratt. Dude did win a Hart Trophy.

Forsberg. Neely. LaFontaine.

11009.jpg

Tim Kerr, W

Three-time All Star

1989 Bill Masterton Trophy Winner

NHL record for most power-play goals in a season (34)

Philadelphia Flyers record for most 50-goal seasons and most consecutive 50-goal seasons (4)

Shares NHL playoff record for most goals in a period (4)

Holds NHL playoff record for most power-play goals in a period (3)

370 goals

304 assists

The only way to stop Tim Kerr is to wrap chains around his arms and legs. No, actually, that still probably wouldn't stop him.

Tim Kerr was nearly immovable in the slot, contributing to his incredible abilities in man advantage situations, but he was plagued by injuries, playing only 655 out of a possible 1,066 games. In those 655 games, though, he scored 674 points, leading one to wonder what might have been had he stayed healthy. The Masterton Trophy means the dude's got, with apologies to Czech, da fiyah and da passion, and his 6'3", 225 size means he's going to be able to bully some of your sissy smaller players something awful. Better keep the penalties to a minimum, ladies. Tim Kerr's on the loose.

(Obviously, I decided to hold off on a modern player)

I have 3 guys I really want. Really tough figuring who to take now and who to hold off on so let's see how good my guess was:

one_bathgate04.jpg

Marcel Pronovost, D

- Won 5 Stanley Cups as a player

- 11x All-Star (includes once at 38 years old)

- 2x 1st team all-star, 2x 2nd team

The best defenseman left in my view. One of the toughest defensive defesemen to ever play the game and was the defensive cornerstone of the Gordie Howe Red Wings. A steal this late in my opinion.

Now I really hope max doesn't take one of my other two guys.

I'm still really pissed about Tim Kerr. I debated taking him over Mark Howe in the last round but thought it was too soon.

Anywho, the newly named Excitable Boys are proud to select a player who scored at least 20 goals in all but his final season, including four straight 50 goal seasons. He finished with 1152 points in 1089 games (1.06 ppg good for 32nd all time and 47th all time in points), with 178 powerplay goals (26th all time). He was a first team NHL all-star from 1983-87, second team all-star appointments sandwiching those. He was inducted into the HHOF in 1998 with teammate Peter Stastny.

Folks:

0223.jpg

Michel Goulet. LW.

For our next pick, the Excitable Boys are proud to select...Fuck it. 1036 points in 1077 games. 160 points in 184 playoff games. 1978-79 Calder winner.

000345242.jpg

Bobby Smith. C.

The man who will now centre Bure and Kariya to create the most exciting and explosive line possible:

4332lsidor7282.jpg

'The Magic Man' Kent Nilsson, C

- 9th all-time in PPG; 9th all-time in APG; 36th in GPG; 7th in goals created per game

- Averaged over 1 PPG in every season of his career but one (in which he scored 60 points in 61 games)

- 2 time All-Star

- Stanley Cup winner (52pts in 59 career plyoff games)

- Top 20 all-time in shooting percentage

- He was in the NHL for only 8 seasons but they 8 phenomenal seasons. He still holds many Calgary Flames offensive records and in his prime was the most explosive gy in hockey and was considered largely unstoppable. Centering Kariya and Bura, Nilsson will help create a line that is almost TOO good offensively and a line that will be barnone the fastest.