TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bix

So, "Ring of Hell"...

Dynamite Kid has always sounded like one of the biggest pieces of shit you would find in a locker room. He had talent, but his sadistic attitude was just way too much.

I'm interested in getting this too, although I'm not sure when I'll actually do so.

It's not a nice business and a lot of the people involved probably shouldn't be walking the streets. Some of these details will shock but as a whole nobody should be surprised.

The people all around the net pimping this hard are so fucking annoying. Their mentality is that anybody who will still be a fan of wrestling and who doesn't see these individuals as pure evil are low lifes themselves. Honestly, I don't give a crap. It's not anything new to me. Who are these people(this author and net smarks in support of this book) to label anybody anyways? They act like everybody in wrestling is the scum of the Earth, while they themselves are holier than thou individuals who can do no wrong and are all about everything that's right in the world. Someone should try to dig up dirt on this author and these fans to see if they are truly squeeky clean like they want everybody to think. Everybody alive is scummy to some degree.

Like these people don't have their own little agendas? Apparantly the author was involved with a wrestling site in the past and was always know to hate wrestling. As for the sources, like I'm going to believe someone like Paul Heyman. It's common knowledge that he and the McMahons hate each other's guts. Yeah, he has the right to dish out dirt. A guy who had a rep for being a big time liar. This is the guy who wasn't paying his talent and he skipped shows to go L.A. to film some crappy movie, while he claiming to his locker room that he was searching for a new TV deal. ANything about stuff like that in this book?

What's the agenda of these internet fans? Some spend too much time obsessing over sleeze. Some people probably want WWE to die and they constantly search for any scandal to jump on. Some people around here probably want to take WWE down so that they can use more library footage for bootleg material that they sell. Or they are these delusional goofs who think they are the rightful

owners, think they are they next Dave Meltzer or whatever.

The people all around the net pimping this hard are so fucking annoying. Their mentality is that anybody who will still be a fan of wrestling and who doesn't see these individuals as pure evil are low lifes themselves. Honestly, I don't give a crap. It's not anything new to me. Who are these people(this author and net smarks in support of this book) to label anybody anyways? They act like everybody in wrestling is the scum of the Earth, while they themselves are holier than thou individuals who can do no wrong and are all about everything that's right in the world. Someone should try to dig up dirt on this author and these fans to see if they are truly squeeky clean like they want everybody to think. Everybody alive is scummy to some degree.

Like these people don't have their own little agendas? Apparantly the author was involved with a wrestling site in the past and was always know to hate wrestling. As for the sources, like I'm going to believe someone like Paul Heyman. It's common knowledge that he and the McMahons hate each other's guts. Yeah, he has the right to dish out dirt. A guy who had a rep for being a big time liar. This is the guy who wasn't paying his talent and he skipped shows to go L.A. to film some crappy movie, while he claiming to his locker room that he was searching for a new TV deal. ANything about stuff like that in this book?

What's the agenda of these internet fans? Some spend too much time obsessing over sleeze. Some people probably want WWE to die and they constantly search for any scandal to jump on. Some people around here probably want to take WWE down so that they can use more library footage for bootleg material that they sell. Or they are these delusional goofs who think they are the rightful

owners, think they are they next Dave Meltzer or whatever.

Get off your OWN high horse, man. Read the book first and you'll see the guy isn't "anti pro wrestling" or whatever you're trying to say, just simply throwing out the very real hardships, hypocrisies, and codependent situations and idiosyncrasies of the business. I dont see any agenda here than trying to help people understand about Benoit in general, and the reality of what pro wrestling really is alot of times (more particularly for the workers themselves and families of those workers).

If you're going to criticize an author for throwing generalizations and judgemental thoughts, take a look first and what you are saying. It's pretty ironic.

And for the record, I really read this book ad nauseum today/tonight and to say Heyman is either a main source for the information in this book and/or is being treated with bias is not true whatsoever. I'll get into it later but he didn't really wear kid gloves regarding Paul Heyman, much less anyone else in the business that probably rightfully deserved to be called out on their shit.

QUOTE(TheRoyalDutchOfDukes @ May 25 2008, 12:43 AM)

Lemme see what I can throw out slightly drunk and off the top of my head:

JAPAN:

The NJPW dojo stuff, obviously, and The Madness Of Inoki-san especially. Basically trainees in the dojo were subjected to anal rape with bananas if they complained about the food quality there, Liger went around shoot punching rookies for shits and giggles, people being forced to do pushups while veteran wrestlers pissed on their backs, being sexually molested in the showers (to a degree that makes JBL's antics look pathetic by comparison), and being made to drink their own semen.

And really, I think you guys are sleeping on this: Inoki bought a fucking island from Fidel Castro because he told him it had buried treasure on it. This is like the equivalent of Hugo Chavez selling Vince a part of Venezuela where he was above the law or something. It's fucking insane to me that people are shrugging that off. But that's just the tip of the iceberg that is Inoki's insanity.

Enough stuff about the yakuza to give Zach Arnold a perpetual boner.

WCW/WWE/ECW dirt:

Heyman talking directly about his past drug use and trying to put to bed a rumor (that I'd never heard before) that he was Marty Jannetty's dealer

A whole bunch of backstage debauchery stuff from WCW and ECW, including the story about Benoit threatening to mutilate himself on live TV if forced to go through with an angle he didn't like and all the background stuff about what a piece of shit Kevin Sullivan is, how he used Nancy to get booking power, how he beat Nancy, and all the stuff about how he booked his own divorce.

A story about how Bischoff started Nitro as retaliation for a rib played on him by another major promoter.

Dave Lagana = Nipple flicker!

Former WWE writer Dan Madigan's story of sharing a limo with the McMahons and HHH in which he witnessed Vince very gently cradle and snuggle Stephanie to sleep in his arms, then fall snoringly asleep himself, only to catch HHH looking at them drool unto each other and snore into each other's faces with a mixture of utter repulsion and spectacular triumph.

Also, Dean Malenko was Eddy's drug connection for years, including after he got out of rehab.

BENOIT:

Remember a long while back, Bix and some other people took people to task for giving Benoit a free pass for hazing people, and shit all over JBL for it? Well turns out Benoit was basically the fuckin Marquis De Sade of pro wres and made JBL look relatively sane and well-adjusted.

And then all the psych background that pretty much puts the "IT WAS THE CONCUSSIONS!" nonsense to bed. Yeah, he was always a scary, dangerous dude and he entered a world that encouraged that AND encouraged him to destroy himself physically in the name of wrestling "honor".

I'll try and post some more stuff when I sober up, but honestly, if I post anymore I'm going to owe Randazzo money for giving away too much.

---

*buys book*

It is a fascinating collection and analysis of various aspects and personas within the business but the notion that some people have thrown out about it being groundbreaking and potentially damaging to the pro wrestling industry is an absolute farce.

Just finished reading it. I'd recommend it, it's a quick read and it's certainly interesting enough.

That's all I think I need to say as well, as it appears lots of what were the major parts of the book were covered here already, or are posted over at DVDR anyway. A few additions to things already posted though....

*The WCW "self mutilation" note - that was in response to potentially Bill Busch forcing Benoit to stay in WCW when Sullivan briefly took power again when Russo got demoted/released from creative. Benoit was so fed up with the politics of the company (and bit his tongue so long as a company guy) that he threatened casually to a WCW employee that if they don't let him go, he'll go ahead and walk out to the ring, bash both of his fists in the ringposts, and sit out until as long as it takes for them to heal. So it had nothing to do with a particular angle.

Within this same situation, Benoit's true "out" to get released from WCW when Busch was hemming and hawing about not letting him go since they DID give him the belt at Souled Out (over Sid) was that Mike Graham, who was aligned heavily with Sullivan at the time, pretty much confronted Benoit, asked what was going on, said he "heard" that Benoit mentioned he wanted Graham released along with Sullivan in order for him to stay in WCW (which wasn't true) and when Benoit denied such an accusation, Graham told him it's good he didn't try to get him released or else he would have had to cut his throat and kill him. If Benoit wouldnt have gotten his way and have gotten his full release from WCW, he was intending to file a lawsuit against the company for the comments from Graham.

There's a TON of other WCW craziness in this book, which alot wasn't in Death of WCW, etc. I never really knew that apparently (and this is moreless all heresay) that Benoit and Nancy never hooked up at all until Sullivan's maniacal out of control shit on Nancy got to it's breaking point, when Sullivan beat the living shit out of Nancy over in Japan for thinking they were sleeping with each other, but apparently they werent --- yet.

What probably was already reported before, but I just wasnt aware of, was just how drugged/drinking heavily Nancy was doing near the end there as well. And the detail in which they covered how many of this pill and that pill both Nancy and Chris were on near the end there was mind boggling.

Ironically enough, "Dr." Astin got the full court smackdown today in regards to the illegal prescriptions. I'm sure he's going to probably never see the light of day, given the circumstances.

On a side note, I didn't really finish this book thinking, "Wow, the McMahon's are really pieces of shit" that much, much less than I expected to. Some of the sources used against the McMahons (in particularly Dan Madigan) came across less than credible in my eyes and more jaded in a way towards the company. I do think the shit regarding Lagana has to be 110 percent true though, given the hush hush nature of the situation of his firing (I recall an excuse being used that he was "leaking info to the sheets" or something like that). The reality of that was that he was sexually harrassing/provoking not just women in developmental, but guys on the current roster. The guy who ratted him out finally (apparently this has been happening privately for awhile but nobody was confident enough that they wouldn't lose their job if they told the company about Lagana's behaviour) was Kevin Thorn, which explains why he's been inexplicably off TV for months now.

Yeah, Jason Powell said that Lagana approached Thorn in the shower and told him he'd blow his mind with a blow job. Thorn was nervous (if not a little intrigued) and went to Undertaker. Taker thought it over (he also was a bit intrigued) but ultimately decided to go to talent relations.

Fertig has been given so many chances he has to have dirt on somebody. He came out of Memphis right? Maybe it's Lawler. However Jason Sensation claims Fertig was an attacker/attempted molester of his, so who knows what side of things he is on.

I started reading it today.

I like what he's trying to do but his writing style is awful. He calls towns shitholes. Refers to Benoit as a babykiller lunatic in one passage when it has nothing to do with him killing babies or being a lunatic.

It'd be like writing a book about Manson and constantly refering to him as a "sick maniac fuck from hell" in a passage about what he did in school in the 4th grade. Some shit seems too biased.

Don't get me wrong, the intention of the book is great and some of this info is mnid-boggling, I just wish all this juicy shit fell into the lap of someone who had a better writing style. I hate to say this but some passages I can hear the robin leech-like VH1 Fabulous life of.... announcer screaming the words over shitty hip-hop beats to still photos of stampede. That's not a good thing.

Refers to Benoit as a babykiller lunatic in one passage when it has nothing to do with him killing babies or being a lunatic.

The whole book is about him being a lunatic. I seem to recall that passages that mention the murders in future tense tend to be about him being crazy.

I think this former internet "writer" is using message boards to try and market his book.

Care to explain?

The author of the book and Bix both post at a board called Crush Kill Crush, where there's a private folder dedicated to sharing techniques for virally marketing the book. Bix started threads here and Loss's board, some other dude started the thread at DVDVR. And there ain't nothing wrong with that, I say. It's a good book.

So how much is everyone paying for this book? I want to get it, but everyone says it's a "quick read" and I'm not really wanting to pay 30 bucks for a quick read.

I started reading it today.

I like what he's trying to do but his writing style is awful. He calls towns shitholes. Refers to Benoit as a babykiller lunatic in one passage when it has nothing to do with him killing babies or being a lunatic.

It'd be like writing a book about Manson and constantly refering to him as a "sick maniac fuck from hell" in a passage about what he did in school in the 4th grade. Some shit seems too biased.

Don't get me wrong, the intention of the book is great and some of this info is mnid-boggling, I just wish all this juicy shit fell into the lap of someone who had a better writing style. I hate to say this but some passages I can hear the robin leech-like VH1 Fabulous life of.... announcer screaming the words over shitty hip-hop beats to still photos of stampede. That's not a good thing.

This is basically how I feel about the book. This would've been a much better book had it been written by a better writer. Randazzo tries to overdramatise and overdescribe everything, and it gets tiring.

Benoit and the Japanese wrestlers peeing on Pee Wee Moore is awesome, as is Vader punching an old woman in the face.

Yeah, Jason Powell said that Lagana approached Thorn in the shower and told him he'd blow his mind with a blow job. Thorn was nervous (if not a little intrigued) and went to Undertaker. Taker thought it over (he also was a bit intrigued) but ultimately decided to go to talent relations.

Lagana asked Thorn "Would he like to fuck his face" while rubbing his nipples. Thorn told Taker, Taker went to the office with it. It says nothing about Taker being "intrigued".