TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 5/26 - 6/1

I can't believe we're losing a series to the Orioles. And we're in last place. Not that I'm worried, I never panic with the Yankees, but this is still pretty pathetic. And I'm definitely not thrilled about moving Joba to the rotation, or the month long process it involves. Maybe it helps solve some of our starting pitching issues down the line, but it's just going to cause problems in the bullpen and wreck a perfect combination we had going, one of the few things working right with this club, and in the short term the usage of Joba in preparation of the move leads to losses like tonight where we can't pitch Joba when we need him because he's on a stretching out schedule. Like tonight we used Mo for two innings in a tie game when it should be Joba in that situation, and that's exactly the kind of shit that wore him out when Torre was managing. Mark my words, and I've been saying it since the offseason, trying to balance this change from reliever to starter with the bullpen options we have is going to bite us in the ass big time.

Maybe Hughes can work the 8th when he comes back. And maybe we can trade Joe Girardi for Willie Randolph, that would solve everyones problems. Does Don Mattingly still want the joba?

Wah wah wah. The Yankees lose 5 out of 8 to the Os and get outscored 44-31 in those games and Yankees fans act like its the end of the world.

Joe Angel said last night that the plan was for the Yankees to use Joba tonight to keep on schedule with moving him into the rotation and because Pettite hasnt been able to go more than 6 innings. Ian Kennedy is going on the DL now after getting injured last night. The Yankees pitching staff overall is amazingly average at best to maybe even on the terrible side..In the 5 games they have won so far against the yankees they've scored 42 runs (8+ runs avg) and the 3 they lost they scored a grand total of 2 runs. Joba might be their best bullpen guy, but what good is he if they cant make it to the late innings of the game with a lead because the starters couldnt get it done and the bullpen doesnt do any better? If I was a Yankees fan Id be wanting him in the rotation over whoever else they could throw in the rotation.

Wah wah wah. The Yankees lose 5 out of 8 to the Os and get outscored 44-31 in those games and Yankees fans act like its the end of the world.

Shut the fuck up Marvin. Was I acting like it was the end of the world? Really. I'm pretty sure I wasn't, and I'm pretty sure I said I don't panic with this team. I'm disappointed because it sucks losing games to your pathetic franchise, that's all.

As for Joba, I stand by it being a bad move for this team.

The Yankees were only in the game because they scored eight runs. Had they a reliable starter who throws a quality start (three runs, six innings), they win that game easily.

Maybe, or maybe the bullpen blows the lead as they did so many times in the period between having Tom Gordon and Joba Chamberlain. There's going to be a trickle down effect by removing Joba from the pen, and it's going to make the entire thing more unstable. AND there's no guarantee of performance from Joba as a starter, it's not like we should have total confidence that he'll immediately be a stopper. He might struggle a bit.

I might be wrong, I just don't like the move for this particular team. I still think they'll make the playoffs or come damn close either way.

Guest Desensitized

Yeah, I'm guessing by the end of June, early July, they rattle off nine straight wins against divisional opponents and get right back in it. Isn't that how it's gone every year since 2004?

Guest Desensitized

Yeah, I'm guessing by the end of June, early July, they rattle off nine straight wins against divisional opponents and get right back in it. Isn't that how it's gone every year since 2004?

Guest Smues

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, I'm guessing that by the end of August/early September, they'll rattle off 20-21 straight wins against everybody and get right back in it. Isn't that how it's gone every year since 2007?

Guest Smues

Yeah, pretty much.

Yeah, pretty much.

Yeah, pretty much.

Yeah, pretty much.

Guest Desensitized

The Rockies are cooked. God's Team is suffering like Job.

Wrigley Field bleacher security has been instructed to eject anyone who harasses Alfonso Soriano. Unbelievable. How dare they. Say what you will about Cliff Floyd, Jacque Jones, Jeromy Burnitz, and Internet Martyr Matt Murton, but they took their heckling like men.

EDIT: insert Jim Edmonds joke

EDIT2: insert "insert Jim Edmonds" joke

Poor Pirates. Reds put up a six spot on Gorzelanny and the guy slinks off the field before he can even get three outs.

Bruce up again, will he stay perfect? *Dun-Dun-Dunnnnn*

Nope, lined out to center.

Guest Desensitized

I think Tom Gorzelanny looks like a squirrel, and doesn't seem to be very good. The Cubbies have waxed his ass thrice now.

Man, Carlos Beltran can hit with the power of Doug Mientkiewicz for all I care. He's almost worth the money for his defense alone.

A few weeks ago, Czech inquired whether met fans were satisfied with Beltran's performance. I present center fielders from 2005-08, sorted by OPS+.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/shareit/NNub

The second best center fielder in MLB and the best in the National League, by a clear margin. He's not unworldly dominant. But when you have the best player at that position, you can't be too unhappy about things.

I'll be honest, in 2005 I was unhappy and did boo him the one time I got out to Shea. But since the beginning of 2006 I've been delighted with his performance and those who say otherwise must have had their minds warped by 2004 NLCS.

Endy Chavez picks an opportune time to hit his first homer of the year, as he laces a floating fastball over the right field fence to tie the game at five in the bottom of the ninth. That was pretty dramatic.

Billy Wagner is untouchable this year. This game makes me think the Mets can definitely snap out of this funk, and win some games again.

I've never been less excited watching a player trying to join the 500 home run club than I am watching Manny's at bat. This is brutal. His one ab took an ENTIRE half inning. God damn Manny.

And shame Z had to do it all himself to get out of that. Missed the Dodger pitcher striking out the side, so not much was lost.

Fernando fucking Tatis just won the contest with a two-RBI double in the bottom of the twelfth.

Best game of the year so far.

Just got back from the reds game, bruce went 1-3 with a double, a walk, a SB and a run. Hit the ball hard twice, once was a lineout to center. Uh oh, they're breaking into the cubs game for Manny's AB now.

Bruce has reached base in 8 of his first 10 plate appearances.

Kerry would just nailed the outside corner at the knees with a fastball to K Eithier. Nasty stuff.

Kerry has really found his role now, hopefully he stays healthy

shit, i just looked up, that's not kerry out there

Kerry would just nailed the outside corner at the knees with a fastball to K Eithier. Nasty stuff.

Who?

Yeah man, it's Bob Howry out there. Kerry was being nasty with his fastball last night.

Who?

Yeah man, it's Bob Howry out there. Kerry was being nasty with his fastball last night.

Yeah, i just got in and turned the game on, saw the fastball on the corner and just assumed, how embarrassing.

Who?

Yeah, i just got in and turned the game on, saw the fastball on the corner and just assumed, how embarrassing.

Don't worry about it, I thought it was Kerry at first too. Bob usually throws that pitch and it ends up somewhere in Canada. This series has been nothing but great pitching, bad to great defense (no in between) and just late scoring. I love it. I want these two teams to meet in the post season.

Chan Ho Park is still around? Wow, I was wondering what the hell happened to that guy.