TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Guest Deft

[barnett]Mirko... you are already dead![/barnett]

Nothing would please me more than to see Josh pounding out Mirko come October 23rd.

Guest Army Eye

Good that they're getting Barnett back in the picture. Barnett/Fedor is pretty much the last money match that they have to book Fedor in.. unless they do something goofy like Mark Hunt, Rulon Gardner, etc...

Shame that Mike Goldberg isn't leaving UFC. I really just can't handle much more of his hyping in lieu of commentary

Guest Greg Valentine

A little help - I'm pretty new to UFC, just got into it post-Ultimate Fighter 1 and needed a little advice. I just watched UFC 51 today, thought it was pretty enjoyable and wanted to get a couple of dvds of some recent shows. They had a couple of 2 packs for $15 at Best Buy, one with 43/44 and one with 45/46. What's the better buy?

Guest Brian

43 and 44 I liked better. You've got main events of Randy/Chuck and Randy/Tito on those two.

Mike Goldberg is back with the UFC now, I believe.

Get UFC 43/44, 45 is ok and 46 has the most disappointing main event in UFC history, the Couture/Belfort glove incident.

Trevor Prangley is fucking good, I'd even say better than Van Arsdale. He's 11-2 with some wins over some notable opponents (Sonnen, Semenov, Stout, Lutter) and one of his losses is to Babalu who he went the distance with. I like this change.

Guest Greg Valentine
Mike Goldberg is back with the UFC now, I believe.

Get UFC 43/44, 45 is ok and 46 has the most disappointing main event in UFC history, the Couture/Belfort glove incident.

Trevor Prangley is fucking good, I'd even say better than Van Arsdale.  He's 11-2 with some wins over some notable opponents (Sonnen, Semenov, Stout, Lutter) and one of his losses is to Babalu who he went the distance with.  I like this change.

Thanks for the advice, I'll pick up 43/44 later this week!

Guest Army Eye

OK I don't get these Superbrawl tape infomercials (they have Roy Jones Jr. hosting them). They show a bunch of cool fight clips but every single punch, kick, etc. is accompanied by these cheesy joke sound effects like you'd hear in a Looney Tunes cartoon or something. Are they trying to market these fights as comedy? Bizarre.

PRIDE results:

Zuluzhino def. Henry Miller via TKO, Rd.1

Murilo Rua def. Murad Chunkaiev via sub (heel hook), Rd.1

James Thompson def. Alexandru Lungu via TKO, Rd.1

Quinton Jackson def. Hirotaka Yokoi via TKO, Rd.1

Sergei Kharitonov def. Fabricio Werdum via Split Decision

Makoto Takimoto def. Yoon Dong Sik via Unanimous Decision

Kazushi Sakuraba def. Ken Shamrock via TKO, Rd.1

Mirko Filipovic def. Josh Barnett via Unanimous Decision

Sounded like a pretty meh show overall, with even the two anticipated HW bouts underwhelming, though Ninja/Chunkaiev supposedly rocked. Also, seeing Ken nearly dive out of the ring from Sak's punches was worth a laugh.

And UpstandingFuckingCitizens' MMA rankings, which are scientifically proven to be better than any other website's (these were from before the latest PRIDE show, so no spoilers):

Heavyweight

1. Fedor Emelianenko

2. Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira

3. Mirko "Cro-Cop" Filipovic

4. Andrei Arlovski

5. Sergei Kharitonov

6. Tim Sylvia

7. Aleksander Emelianenko

8. Fabricio Werdum

9. Paul Buentello

10. Brandon Vera

Light Heavyweight

1. Chuck Liddell

2. Mauricio Rua

3. Ricardo Arona

4. Randy Couture

5. Wanderlei Silva

6. Renato "Babalu" Sobral

7. Antonio Rogerio "Minotoro" Nogueira

8. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson

9. Alistair Overeem

10. Tito Ortiz

Middleweight

1. Rich Franklin

2. Dan Henderson

3. Matt Lindland

4. Nathan Marquardt

5. David "The Crow" Loiseau

6. Murilo Bustamante

7. Evan Tanner

8. Akihiro Gono

9. Ivan Salaverry

10. David Terrell

Welterweight

1. Matt Hughes

2. Georges St. Pierre

3. Frank Trigg

4. Karo Parisyan

5. Akira Kikuchi

6. Sean Sherk

7. Nick Diaz

8. Renato "Charuto" Verissimo

9. Drew Fickett

10. Jake Shields

Lightweight

1.Takanori Gomi

2. Tatsuya Kawajiri

3. Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro

4. Hayato "Mach" Sakurai

5. Joachim Hansen

6. Yves Edwards

7. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto

8. Josh Thomson

9. Koutetsu Boku

10. Mitsuhiro Ishida

Featherweight

1. Gilbert Melendez

2. Ivan Menjivar

3. Joao Roque

4. Rumina Sato

5. Yoshiro Maeda

6. Antonio Carvalho

7. Hatsu Hioki

8. Jeff Curran

9. Miki Shida

10. Tyson Griffen

Pound for Pound

1. B.J. Penn

2. Fedor Emelianenko

3. Matt Hughes

4. Takanori Gomi

5. Georges St. Pierre

6. Dan Henderson

8. Gilbert Melendez

9. Hayato "Mach" Sakurai

10. Rich Franklin

I don't agree with all of the rankings, but they're far better than the likes of MMAWeekly's, for example.

Brandon Vera's stock should have dropped after how Whitehead performed on the show.

I used to think that Mike Naimark was a good MMA guy, but I just read through a thread where he went over reasons as to why Royce Gracie would beat Matt Hughes if they were to fight (which is an actual rumour). I now think he's crazy of course.

It leads me to believe that there are many who just look at fights as "Who has better striking, submissions and wrestling" and then fitting in the pieces. To me, this seems to be way too simple and rarely works that way. A few examples include Lindland-Militech, Henderson-Busta, and GSP-Hughes. To think that Royce, even in his prime, could beat Matt Hughes is just so...weird. That would be a beating and a half, and it makes me believe that some people overstate what Royce did in the first UFC's.

Anyway, Kid Yamamoto is truly the best P4P fighter in the world, but due to the fact that he fights out of his weight division that will never be known. It's akin to Dan Henderson going from P4P nobody at that place to a top ten ranking, you have to actually be successful in more than one weight division to warrant a spot. It makes sense, but sometimes due to certain situations (like the lack of a division) it stops more promising guys from getting a spot.

Some bad news about the Hughes fight with Parisiyan:

Welterweight Karo Parisyan (Pictures) puts his chances of fighting UFC champion Matt Hughes (Pictures) at 70 percent, he told Sherdog.com sunday evening, after the 170-pound UFC No. 1 contender pulled a quadriceps muscle while grappling in his Huntington Beach training camp.

The injury, which Parisyan described as a "strain," has forced him out of the gym the since Monday, Oct. 17. Parisyan will test his injured leg tomorrow for the first time in a week, and based on how it feels he will inform the UFC of his status for the November 19 fight.

-Vera's resume is hardly earth shattering, but I like the guy's potential and am infinitely more impressed with his in-ring performances than the likes of Aleksandr or any other number of HW's.

- The biggest hinderance to Kid's P4P status is that he never made it to the top of his own division. He thoroughly dominated the likes of Kadowaki, Katsuta & Curran, but hopped ship to K-1 before facing the world's best featherweights (most of whom he'd be favored against). Had he actually stuck around and dominated 143lbs. a while, then moved up as he has, he'd probably have a much stronger P4P claim.

How do you think he matches up with Melendez or Menjivar? Menjivar seems just as well rounded, if not more so than he.

Also, I was watching some earlier UFC's, and it was kind of surreal to see them acknowledge guys in other promotions as contenders. They showed a contender's chain and Randy Couture was at the top with Noguiera below him, or Anderson Silva challenging Matt Hughes. Nowadays, they seem pretty WWE-ish with their complete ignoring of other companies and fighters. Hell, they talked about Wanderlei Silva challenging Tito at one point, like that was ever going to happen. Seeing them pimp Coleman so hard even after he lost to Nog was the weirdest.

Not only will I say that Alexander Emilienenko would have looked much more impressive against Scherner than Vera did, probably knocking him out in the first round, I will go so far as to state that he would probably be the second best heavyweight in the UFC were he to fight there.

-Kid would handle Menjivar much like he did Curran, though Ivan would have a much better chance of stopping the takedown and/or gaining top position than Curran, though I highly doubt he's going to Menji-plex an Olympic caliber wrestler. Kid's submission skills are still not well developed, but with his power he's dangerous both on the ground (at least from up top) and on the feet. He also has a proven chin, and I could see him keeping up the agression enough to earn a clear JD over Ivan.

- Eh, I'm not sold on Aleksandr at all. Thus far he's been able to overwhelm some overmatched competition, but the two live bodies he's faced so far have predictably shut down him down to verying degrees. I'd highly doubt he'd win a prolonged striking exchange against Sylvia (or arguably even Buentello), and his ground game has looked pretty average. Add in a questionable gas tank, and I think Alkesandr is looking to get taken out by the next true contender he faces.

As far as Aleks vs. Scherner, I actually wouldn't be too suprised to see a sumo-style first round before both gas and Aleks whacks Scherner with some sloppy punches.

In terms of rankings, I'm glad they did away with them because putting the two top ranked guys against each other isn't always going to happen and when it doesn't -and you have those rankings advertised- it hurts the match you are presenting.

Naimark is a huge Royce fan, so any zaniness he says about Royce should be taken with a grain of salt and shouldn't take away from his other views on MMA (which I often agree with and usually am one of the few that do :) ). From his position, Royce = Great Submissions, Matt Hughes = Subbed Easily, therefore, Matt + Royce = Submission by Royce.

No one has done more for MMA than Royce Gracie; that he beat low calibre opponents shouldn't take away from that. Plus, it's not like Royce was from the future who came back with the knowledge current MMA fighters have. He was a single disciplined fighter too.

In terms of rankings, I'm glad they did away with them because putting the two top ranked guys against each other isn't always going to happen and when it doesn't -and you have those rankings advertised- it hurts the match you are presenting. 

Naimark is a huge Royce fan, so any zaniness he says about Royce should be taken with a grain of salt and shouldn't take away from his other views on MMA (which I often agree with and usually am one of the few that do :) ).  From his position, Royce = Great Submissions, Matt Hughes = Subbed Easily, therefore, Matt + Royce = Submission by Royce. 

No one has done more for MMA than Royce Gracie; that he beat low calibre opponents shouldn't take away from that.  Plus, it's not like Royce was from the future who came back with the knowledge current MMA fighters have.  He was a single disciplined fighter too.

Royce is the ultimate pioneer in the US. Sakaraba is the ultimate pioneer in MMA in the world. Just my opinion.

PRIDE results:

Zuluzhino def. Henry Miller via TKO, Rd.1

Murilo Rua def. Murad Chunkaiev via sub (heel hook), Rd.1

James Thompson def. Alexandru Lungu via TKO, Rd.1

Quinton Jackson def. Hirotaka Yokoi via TKO, Rd.1

Sergei Kharitonov def. Fabricio Werdum via Split Decision

Makoto Takimoto def. Yoon Dong Sik via Unanimous Decision

Kazushi Sakuraba def. Ken Shamrock via TKO, Rd.1

Mirko Filipovic def. Josh Barnett via Unanimous Decision

Sounded like a pretty meh show overall, with even the two anticipated HW bouts underwhelming, though Ninja/Chunkaiev supposedly rocked. Also, seeing Ken nearly dive out of the ring from Sak's punches was worth a laugh.

And UpstandingFuckingCitizens' MMA rankings, which are scientifically proven to be better than any other website's (these were from before the latest PRIDE show, so no spoilers):

Heavyweight

1. Fedor Emelianenko

2. Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira

3. Mirko "Cro-Cop" Filipovic

4. Andrei Arlovski

5. Sergei Kharitonov

6. Tim Sylvia

7. Aleksander Emelianenko

8. Fabricio Werdum

9. Paul Buentello

10. Brandon Vera

Light Heavyweight

1. Chuck Liddell

2. Mauricio Rua

3. Ricardo Arona

4. Randy Couture

5. Wanderlei Silva

6. Renato "Babalu" Sobral

7. Antonio Rogerio "Minotoro" Nogueira

8. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson

9. Alistair Overeem

10. Tito Ortiz

Middleweight

1. Rich Franklin

2. Dan Henderson

3. Matt Lindland

4. Nathan Marquardt

5. David "The Crow" Loiseau

6. Murilo Bustamante

7. Evan Tanner

8. Akihiro Gono

9. Ivan Salaverry

10. David Terrell

Welterweight

1. Matt Hughes

2. Georges St. Pierre

3. Frank Trigg

4. Karo Parisyan

5. Akira Kikuchi

6. Sean Sherk

7. Nick Diaz

8. Renato "Charuto" Verissimo

9. Drew Fickett

10. Jake Shields

Lightweight

1.Takanori Gomi

2. Tatsuya Kawajiri

3. Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro

4. Hayato "Mach" Sakurai

5. Joachim Hansen

6. Yves Edwards

8. Josh Thomson

9. Koutetsu Boku

10. Mitsuhiro Ishida

Featherweight

1. Gilbert Melendez

2. Ivan Menjivar

3. Joao Roque

4. Rumina Sato

5. Yoshiro Maeda

6. Antonio Carvalho

7. Hatsu Hioki

8. Jeff Curran

9. Miki Shida

10. Tyson Griffen

Pound for Pound

1. B.J. Penn

2. Fedor Emelianenko

3. Matt Hughes

4. Takanori Gomi

5. Georges St. Pierre

6. Dan Henderson

8. Gilbert Melendez

9. Hayato "Mach" Sakurai

10. Rich Franklin

I don't agree with all of the rankings, but they're far better than the likes of MMAWeekly's, for example.

These are the best rankings i've seen, except, and i know i'm going to catch a lot of flack for this, If Arlovski beats Sylvia again or if he ever fights Mir and beats him I might put him ahead of Cro Cop. Mirko is a great fighter, but when he fights TOP flight comp he doesn't fair so well. I'd have him ahead for now because Arlovski has yet to even face top comp yet.

Guest Big_Jay101

I'm ready to see Mike Pyle go to UFC, I could see him beating the likes of Diaz and Sanchez, and even parisyian and giving trouble to GSP and Hughes, but not beating them, several pro fighters agree as well, like Trigg and Couture.

Pretty funny, as usual from Diego:

http://www.ufc.tv/articles/news/articleFul...ticleMainID=325

My favourite line has to be "He fights like a street fighter". Still, I don't know, I kind of think Diego says a lot of stupid things, but I have to agree when he says that Diaz can't stop the takedown. Diego has a much better chance in this than most are giving him credit for. He's adequate enough on the ground to defend what Nick Diaz might throw at him, so I can easily see him wearing him down for a JD. Of course, I don't think his cardio is on par with Diaz, so perhaps he might get caught with that looping hook or submitted because of that. We will see.

So this thing is going down on Friday (October 28) here in Auburn, with tickets going between $10 - 15: Auburn Fight Night. Pain on the Plains, to the max.

I'm not sure if I'll go, since I have a feeling it'll be really crappy. A super-heavyweight tournament? That doesn't sound like it'll be slow and boring at all! It doesn't help that nowhere does it say exactly who will be fighting (Though, I'm pretty new to MMA-dom, so I probably wouldn't have recognized many names to begin with).

Anyone know any other information about this/think I should go?

Guest Brian

It's only a four-man super-heavy tourney at least, it's not like it's a sixteen-man. And for $10, a live card can't be that horrible.

Guest Army Eye
These are the best rankings i've seen, except, and i know i'm going to catch a lot of flack for this,  If Arlovski beats Sylvia again or if he ever fights Mir and beats him I might put him ahead of Cro Cop.  Mirko is a great fighter, but when he fights TOP flight comp he doesn't fair so well.  I'd have him ahead for now because Arlovski has yet to even face top comp yet.

I'll give you some flack then :P . The 'top competition' that Cro Cop struggles with (Fedor, Minotauro).. those fighters are far better than anyone Arlovski has to face, or will ever face. So I don't think it's fair to penalize Cro Cop, and drop him below Arlovski just for being in the better promotion. Comparing UFC to Pride competition is not exactly comparing apples with apples.

This is the problem with a lot of MMA rankings IMO. For instance I see that Wanderlei plummted in the rankings, apparently because of one single loss by decision, in a two-round fight, which was part of a tournament. Now tell me, what tournmanents have Liddell and Couture been fighting in?? For Wandy to fall behind Liddell and Couture, who are sitting on their ass (or fighting Jeremy Horn, in Iceman's case) while he is fighting in arguably the toughest tournament ever, is bullshit.

I'm not sure I"d rank Shogun or Arona above Wandy yet either, but that's another issue.

- I'm one who ranks Arlovski over Mirko, simply because while their wins are mostly over similar comeptition (though Mirko's record is far more bloated), Arlovski has continually impressed against that level of comeptition while Mirko often seems content to mail it in. Sylvia, Buentello & Matyushenko are pretty comparable to comeptition that Mirko has beaten (and in Sylvia's case, above it), and none have made it out of the first round with Andrei (or even the first minute, sans Matyushenko). Add in leaving Justin Eilers with a list of injuries you're likely to see stem from a car crash, and I think it's safe to say Arlovski has looked far more impressive lately. Hell, I'd probably rank Kharitonov over Mirko nowadays.

- Outside of 2 wins over Rampage, Wanderlei has been doing little of note over the past few years, aside from beating undersized and/or fringe competition. He also certainly hasn't helped himself any with the lackluster performances he's put on as of late, while a number of other LHW's have stepped up in that same period (Shogun & Liddell being prime examples) and utterly mauled their competition.

In other news, with Karo Parisyan on the shelf with an injury, Joe Riggs has seemingly been able to dehydrate himself into a title shot. Let this be a lesson: if you can't succeed in your current weight division, cut enough weight until you eventually find a division where you're ridiculously larger than eveyone else. Then, maybe your head-first G&P style will cease getting you traingled.

Hey, I'm looking forward to this match thought admittedly not as much as without Karo. Riggs is a strong dude with some pretty brutal GNP and if he ends up on top or with side control Matt could be in trouble.

But he won't be. Seeing Hughes slam that big lug around should be fun while it lasts, which won't be too long.