TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

So Duane 'Bang' Ludwig stopped TUF II alumni Sam Morgan with a wicked body shot from on top while Sam was on his back at the StrikeForce show in Denver last night. Bang crumpled him standing with a left hook to the liver that would make Bas proud and when Sam went down Bang hit him with some ground and pound before hitting the standing body shot that had Morgan tapping.

In other StrikeForce highlights Pete Spratt showed that to this day he is goddamn incapable of defending the rear naked choke as Donnie Lilies put him away in round three. Frank Trigg took home a lackluster decision against Faliniko Vitale who pretty much spent all 3 rounds absorbing the weak shots Trigg was throwing at him but offering nothing in return.

Sounds like Hioki lived up to the unofficial "Iron Broomstick" moniker, surviving an early knockdown to submit Thierry Quenneville via traingle choke in the 1st round of his TKO fight last night.

The other result that jumped out at me was TJ Grant apparently beating Forrest Petz handily, winning via arm-triangle in the 2nd round. Petz isn't a world beater by any means, but he's a solid fighter, and taking him out in the distance is no easy feat.

Shaw doesn't mind being called a "retard".....

During an interview with MMAJunkie.com, EliteXC Vice President Jared Shaw responded to comments made recently by UFC President Dana White. White had the following to say about Shaw during an interview with NBC Sports a few days ago:

"There's guys out there in the industry that know what they're doing and run a real business. ProEliteXC, you think that business is being run well?

"Hey Jared (Shaw), you're $60 million in the hole, retard. Get over it.

"These idiots pop up and they start throwing all this money around, and they think they're going to come out and go head to head and compete with the UFC? It'd be like me starting a fast-food joint saying 'I'm going to take down McDonald's.'"

Shaw had the following to say about Dana White's latest outburst:

"Names will never hurt me. But I'm sure it may have hurt a lot of disabled and handicapped people in this world.

"My only message for 'Simple Dana McDonald' is this -- The last time I checked the fast-food industry, the recognized No. 1 global franchising opportunity for a fast food chain was Subway. And their spokesperson's name is Jared."

Sounds like Hioki lived up to the unofficial "Iron Broomstick" moniker, surviving an early knockdown to submit Thierry Quenneville via traingle choke in the 1st round of his TKO fight last night.

I know you're probably pleased about this, but I was pretty disappointed because I had high hopes for Thierry. I've actually been helping him with this fight (not much, but we did some wrestling together and some footwork drills also. He was getting really good at cutting off the ring) and I've seen him work with Firas for a few weeks now and he looked like a man possessed. His striking was unreal and his speed and timing with the mitts was awesome. I thought he was gonna knock out Hioki who seems to have a tendency to be lackadaisical, and I was almost right. A shame, really.

I know you're probably pleased about this, but I was pretty disappointed because I had high hopes for Thierry. I've actually been helping him with this fight (not much, but we did some wrestling together and some footwork drills also. He was getting really good at cutting off the ring) and I've seen him work with Firas for a few weeks now and he looked like a man possessed. His striking was unreal and his speed and timing with the mitts was awesome. I thought he was gonna knock out Hioki who seems to have a tendency to be lackadaisical, and I was almost right. A shame, really.

I'm glad Hioki won as I have a total mancrush on the guy, but it sucks that it came at Thierry's expense. I didn't know he was your boy, and if he did, I probably would've been able to handle the idea of him taking Hioki's head off easier. Hioki's been fancying himself a striker for too long, and I was worried he was going to get beat up a la the Takaya fight. The irony is that not that long ago he fucking smoked Baret on the mat, yet still doesn't realize that that's where he needs to keep fights.

I could be alone in this but I see TJ Grant getting called up, so to speak not before long. I imagine an octagon debut before the end of 2009 isn't outside the realm of possibility.

So GSP has become the first ever MMA athlete to sign with the Creative Arts Agency whose clients include Tony Hawk, Derek Jeter and LeBron James. Their sponsorship partners include Coca-Cola, Sprint, e-bay, Mattel and Harley-Davidson.

What's French for Ballin' Outrageous?

I highly doubt that. Alvarez in less then 6 months beat higher competition then Diaz has in his entire career.

Is that a fucking joke? I thought when you didn't realise BJ Penn was once the best LW in the world you just hadn't been watching MMA that long, but it sounds like you just have a really shitty memory.

Diego Sanchez, Karo Parisyan and Takanori Gomi all SCREAM hello. Robbie Lawler tried, but he's kind of retarded.

I highly doubt that. Alvarez in less then 6 months beat higher competition then Diaz has in his entire career.

Is that a fucking joke? I thought when you didn't realise BJ Penn was once the best LW in the world you just hadn't been watching MMA that long, but it sounds like you just have a really shitty memory.

Diego Sanchez, Karo Parisyan and Takanori Gomi all SCREAM hello. Robbie Lawler tried, but he's kind of retarded.

He never beat Sanchez, or Karo... I think that's LOTC's point.

And techncially, he never beat Gomi to (but we all know the real deal).

The GSP Coke and eBay commercials will be hilarious.

Pepsi Employee: "Excuse me, sir. Would you like to take the Pepsi Challenge?

GSP: "I would like that."

*George takes a drink of Pepsi*

GSP: "Ehh, I'm not impressed by your soda."

*George takes a drink of Coke*

GPS: "Mmmm, always Coca-Cola."

Yeah I misread that, but I still think he deserved the decision over Karo, not Sanchez though. He DID beat Gomi (Fuck a CSAC) and he beat Lawler too. The Gomi win trumps everything else. Also, Alvarez lost to Nick Thompson, who was pistol whipped by Karo.

Nick Diaz has made a habit of facing bigger comp his whole career, as has Alvarez before this year. I think it's going to be a great fight, but considering how Flaky Diaz can be, this might be Alvarez' fight to lose. If Diaz comes in like he did against Gomi though, then I think he takes it. It all depends on him in my opinion. The Denny fight leads me to believe that he might come in off-beat again.

I meant at LW but yes I did forget the Gomi victory. I'd still put Alvarez taking out Dida, Hansen and Kawijiri in 8 months up with Diaz beating a lethargic Gomi. I'd also bet the house that Gomi stomps Diaz in a rematch where it to happen.

Yeah I misread that, but I still think he deserved the decision over Karo, not Sanchez though. He DID beat Gomi (Fuck a CSAC) and he beat Lawler too. The Gomi win trumps everything else. Also, Alvarez lost to Nick Thompson, who was pistol whipped by Karo.

LOL, please tell me we're not going back to MMAth again.

That's not MMAth, that's the cold hard truth that Alvarez got beat up by a WW who is essentially a JTTS. Every time Nick Thompson has faced someone worthwhile at WW he's gotten his ass handed to him. That certainly means something, especially considering Nick Diaz has spent a career out of giving top WW's tough fights.

I still say beating Lawler is more impressive than any of those also. I know you said at LW, but I don't see why that should be irrelevant, considering wins at a higher weight class might even be more impressive.

Diaz has some good wins but has been way too hot and cold throughout his career. For every Lawler or Gomi there's a Denny or Fickett. Alvarez, since dropping to LW has shown the skills and consistency to take Nick out.

Don't get it twisted, Diaz is one of my all-time favorites simply for the fact that he's rarely, if ever in a bad fight but I see Eddie hurting him bad in this one.

Do you mean "take (Diaz) out" literally? Because the only dude to ever successfully do that (outside of Noons' cut) was Jeremy Jackson, and that was based largely on Nick being caught off guard and Jackson having better boxing than just about anyone Diaz has faced. That isn't to say that Alvarez can't or won't mess Diaz up, but finishing him is another story.

It's true, if anything Alvarez has shown himself to be far more chinny in his career, getting dropped in pretty much all of his DREAM fights. Not that this is not understandable, he faced tough strikers all the way through and came back to beat them all. Diaz has only been finished once, after fighting in a tournament and getting gassed and going against a guy who was a far better striker (at the time) as well as being much fresher. Also, he was like what, 19 at the time? He took Robbie Lawler's, Gomi's and Noons' hardest shots and didn't go down. While Alvarez has fight ending power, I don't see him being able to use it on a guy like Diaz. I can only see him winning a decision where he batters him around, or cuts him for a stoppage. If anything, I think it's far more likely to see Diaz use his reach and knock him out long range. Like you said though, he's hot and cold.

Also, didn't he run through Fickett? I don't remember him struggling much in that one.

It's true, if anything Alvarez has shown himself to be far more chinny in his career, getting dropped in pretty much all of his DREAM fights. Not that this is not understandable, he faced tough strikers all the way through and came back to beat them all. Diaz has only been finished once, after fighting in a tournament and getting gassed and going against a guy who was a far better striker (at the time) as well as being much fresher. Also, he was like what, 19 at the time? He took Robbie Lawler's, Gomi's and Noons' hardest shots and didn't go down. While Alvarez has fight ending power, I don't see him being able to use it on a guy like Diaz. I can only see him winning a decision where he batters him around, or cuts him for a stoppage. If anything, I think it's far more likely to see Diaz use his reach and knock him out long range. Like you said though, he's hot and cold.

Also, didn't he run through Fickett? I don't remember him struggling much in that one.

So that vagina Gomi opened under Nick's eye was a result of what?

Oh, yeah. Diaz gets dropped a fair bit actually. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was talking about his ability to absorb punishment and keep going.

If that's what he was going at I will not disagree. Nick's a tough bastard. I think Eddie is a strong enough wrestler to avoid the ground game but if Nick can get him down it'll be a different story.

I fully agree with Curry in that Eddie Alvarez has fought much stronger competition lately. What you've done historically in the fight game doesn't matter. You're only as good as your last few fights, and Eddie Alvarez has been a monster. HOWEVER, that doesn't change that Nick Diaz for all his "patty cake striking" is a tough and possibly mentally retarded angry man. Diaz will stand there and trade even when he should clearly change tactics.

I haven't been impressed with Diaz's last few fights, while I'm exactly the opposite with Alvarez. So for that alone, I have to pick Alvarez. That doesn't mean Diaz can't win, but I'm struggling to see *how* he can win this fight. His striking may be better technically, but Alvarez has more power. Diaz would probably have the advantage on the ground, but he has to get it there first which won't be easy.

It'll be a tough night for Nick Diaz.

But I think we can all agree. KJ Noons is a goof.