TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Well, considering Miller took him down and got his back, I'd hesitate taking Trigg over a middleweight with BJJ as good as Lutter's just yet.

And he did make Condit & Jhun look much better than they had any right to look.

Yeah I didn't know about the back-taking.

Still, he survived it this time, and actually took Miller's back, which is more than I've seen from him in the past. I just hope he keeps smashing cats. Very few can match his excitement as far as GnP is concerned. He's vicious with that shit.

At BoDog's PPV last night, Roger Gracie submitted Ron Waterman in his MMA debut, "Junior" Silva lost to Eric Pele, and Trevor Prangley's chin is still too ridiculous to lose to the likes of Semenov.

The K-1 WGP was fun, but not a blow away show.

I don't get why it had to run 5+ hours, but whatcha gonna do.

Did you watch it live? If they had gotten rid of the stupid magician and not had two 10-15 minute nut checks than I think it would have run shorter. Although it IS the biggest martial arts show in the world annually, so it's not like 5 hours was an unusual length for it or anything.

With that said, Semmy Schilt is going to be tough to stop.

I watched it live. I usually have a few friends around, and we voice chat during events, but alas, not for K-1. I was the only one looking forward to it.

Schilt is going to be nearly impossible to beat. The problem is, anything that might work can be negated by his freakish reach. People act as if all Schilt has is his size, which a totally laughable claim. Schilt's a fantastic striker who would probably hold his own in K-1 if it weren't for his size. The problem is, what do you do? Leg kicking may work, but he's not some lumbering giant, it'll take awhile to really hurt him and when there are only three three minute rounds who knows if that'll work. You come in close like Aerts did with punches, and Schilt grabs you and knees you. Try to keep your distance, and he cracks with with his hard jabs. He can be hurt, but how do you manage to keep him hurt with out him grabbing your or countering?

What amazed me, is Peter Aerts was smarter about fighting Schilt then Hoost was. Hoost should have chopped the living fuck out of Schilt's leg, and even if he lost, Schilt would have been hurt for the finals. I don't even know WHAT Hoost's gameplan was, it was like he went in there like he would against Sapp, and let him dictate the pace of the fight for him. Le Banner thought he could outbox Schilt...he was pretty much proven wrong. Aerts was the one who had the gameplan. One more round, and he probably would have won when Schilt couldn't walk forward anymore. The fans marrrking for Aerts was pretty amazing. They wanted to see him tie Hoost's record. In one night, I became a fan of Aerts, for his "...Meh, fuck it, I'll fight" attitude, and MISIRLOU~!

One problem for me, is I always judge K-1 fights by MMA rules, specificially PRIDE. Aerts would have beat Schilt under PRIDE Judging, he did more damage and tried to end the fight more...but Schilt hit more stuff, and got a knockdown, so it's understandable why he won.

I wonder if one of Bonjasky's balls collapsed the way he was acting from those low blows.

I watched it live. I usually have a few friends around, and we voice chat during events, but alas, not for K-1. I was the only one looking forward to it.

Schilt is going to be nearly impossible to beat. The problem is, anything that might work can be negated by his freakish reach. People act as if all Schilt has is his size, which a totally laughable claim. Schilt's a fantastic striker who would probably hold his own in K-1 if it weren't for his size. The problem is, what do you do? Leg kicking may work, but he's not some lumbering giant, it'll take awhile to really hurt him and when there are only three three minute rounds who knows if that'll work. You come in close like Aerts did with punches, and Schilt grabs you and knees you. Try to keep your distance, and he cracks with with his hard jabs. He can be hurt, but how do you manage to keep him hurt with out him grabbing your or countering?

What amazed me, is Peter Aerts was smarter about fighting Schilt then Hoost was. Hoost should have chopped the living fuck out of Schilt's leg, and even if he lost, Schilt would have been hurt for the finals. I don't even know WHAT Hoost's gameplan was, it was like he went in there like he would against Sapp, and let him dictate the pace of the fight for him. Le Banner thought he could outbox Schilt...he was pretty much proven wrong. Aerts was the one who had the gameplan. One more round, and he probably would have won when Schilt couldn't walk forward anymore. The fans marrrking for Aerts was pretty amazing. They wanted to see him tie Hoost's record. In one night, I became a fan of Aerts, for his "...Meh, fuck it, I'll fight" attitude, and MISIRLOU~!

One problem for me, is I always judge K-1 fights by MMA rules, specificially PRIDE. Aerts would have beat Schilt under PRIDE Judging, he did more damage and tried to end the fight more...but Schilt hit more stuff, and got a knockdown, so it's understandable why he won.

I wonder if one of Bonjasky's balls collapsed the way he was acting from those low blows.

Well Remy was vomiting backstage after the match, if that gives you any indication of how badly he was hurt. Oftentimes the nut shots that hurt the worst are the ones that don't even look painful.

I'm not sure if Aerts did more damage against Sem or not, I had Sem winning 10-9, 10-8, and 10-9.

I really think if someone nails him with a good punch like Ignashov did, that's the only way.

Iggy's looked like shit for the past couple years, and I'm wondering if he'll ever live up to his potential.

I can't honestly say. My memories of the fight could be messed up from the fans. That sometimes happens to me. The fans were SO pumped for Aerts to win. I get caught up in the moment.

Another thing I forgot to add, Schilt is fucking smart. Everytime they bodylocked, Schilt would turn himself before or right after the referee broke them up so that Aerts was against the ropes, even if Schilt himself had been backed up against the ropes. I didn't see ANYONE else during the night do that, but Schilt was doing it constantly, and Aerts couldn't counter when he was against the ropes.

From what I read, it's not up, so much as he will not sign an exclusive deal to PRIDE. One of Fedor's biggest desires is to make MMA popular in Russia, and BoDog is helping him do it.

UFC will want an exclusive deal too, so I doubt he'll go there. PRIDE will atleast deal with him on a PPA basis.

Plus, Fedor's a gamble. As much as I think he'd work as a Tyson-type draw, Fedor just doesn't draw that well in Japan. PRIDE's been hoping for awhile that someone would dethrone him due to that. They were praying that Mirko would KO him, but it didn't happen. The whole reason they didn't rush Josh/Mirko v.s. Fedor, is because they want whoever challenges to be in perfect condition so they'll have the best chance to dethrone him. On top of not drawing super well, he also has his history of hand injuries, so who knows what you'd get for multiple millions.

From what I read, it's not up, so much as he will not sign an exclusive deal to PRIDE. One of Fedor's biggest desires is to make MMA popular in Russia, and BoDog is helping him do it.

UFC will want an exclusive deal too, so I doubt he'll go there. PRIDE will atleast deal with him on a PPA basis.

Plus, Fedor's a gamble. As much as I think he'd work as a Tyson-type draw, Fedor just doesn't draw that well in Japan. PRIDE's been hoping for awhile that someone would dethrone him due to that. They were praying that Mirko would KO him, but it didn't happen. The whole reason they didn't rush Josh/Mirko v.s. Fedor, is because they want whoever challenges to be in perfect condition so they'll have the best chance to dethrone him. On top of not drawing super well, he also has his history of hand injuries, so who knows what you'd get for multiple millions.

I don't know, Fedor is probably the third biggest draw in Pride as far as non-native fighters go, behind Hunt (mainly due to winning the K-1 in 2001) and Cro Cop.

Anyone less lazy than I care to get started on a Year End Awards thread so I can rep some relatively obscure fighters?

Just tell us now. Is one of them Hioki by any chance?

"Sub of the Year" candidate, but he wasn't one of the particular guys I was thinking of.

Who the hell determains what fights count and what don't?

Example

I remember on the first season of TUF Bobby Southworth was talking about his record of blah blah blah, anyway, 30+ fights. Before his fight on the show it was a smaller number on the graphics (for the Sincade fight) and according to Sherdog his record is only 6-4 with a no contest.

Can you ever get a real number anywhere? I understand some of these fights may not be recognized by a sanctioned board or whatever, but it's confusing.