TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atticus Chaos

The Happening

Guest Smues

I'm seeing this tonight. I don't have high hopes for it, but like every Shamalongadingdong movie the trailer has me interested. I just hope he didn't cast himself as Jesus Christ this time.

I don't like that a lot of people now want to see him fail. Yeah, he's an egotistical prick, but he's still 10 times more talented than most directors in Hollywood. Maybe he needs to start directing scripts he didn't write himself since with his recent films its usually been the writing that's the problem.

Fucker can't write a love story to save his fucking life... actually fucker just can't plain out right. He's on my top 10 list as one of the best mainstream directors right now... shame someone so talented in one field can't give up the other one that's ruining him.

I think his awfullness is one of the more overrated things in Hollywood.

I haven't disliked any of his films that I have seen (didn't see Lady in the Water. Will probably watch that tonight). I like the Sixth Sense, I liked Signs(waits for a certain member to rip into this movie again), I liked the Village, I liked Unbreakable.

its like he gets punished for not making AMAZING movies. And then I hate hearing how "the twist wasn't that great" even when people are talking about Signs. This looks interesting, I will probably like it, the critics won't because its not another sixth sense...

If what I read about the ending is true, lord help us all.

I think he gets an unfair rap with the popularity, shock & awe of the Sixth Sense that now he's expected to bring that same thing every single time...people want too much out of him. He followed it up with two good movies and now people are like "Okay, EVERY movie he makes better be good, dammit!"

People tend to forget that even noted directors such as Oliver Stone, Francis Ford Coppola, Stanley Kubrick and Brian DePalma have all made their fair share of stinkers. You can't expect perfection every time out of the gate. Granted, he's no Oscar winner, but we've seen he certainly has it in him. I don't think that should be denied.

That being said, I think this movie will be better than Lady in the Water and The Village...but not by much.

My problem with him is he has some great ideas... but he fucking sucks as a writer in leading you towards ending. Sixth Sense and Unbreakable happen to be fucking awesome... before he blew up and thought he was the most important figure of our time with his stories and shit... Signs wasn't bad, but the shit has been unbearable the last two films.

I can see it doing well, because the trailer does look make it look like a must see (especially the red band one). Granted, its up against the Hulk but it probably won't be the flop lady in the water was.

its like he gets punished for not making AMAZING movies. And then I hate hearing how "the twist wasn't that great" even when people are talking about Signs. This looks interesting, I will probably like it, the critics won't because its not another sixth sense...

I don't think most people don't expect another Sixth Sense, Ripper(it'd be nigh impossible to top that, IMO). They expect something worth their time and money. Unbreakable, and to a lesser extent Signs both did that. The Village was full of terrible acting(whispering does not equal acting, Mr. Phoenix), muddled pacing and a supposed twist that even Sloth from The Goonies could figure out within the first twenty minutes. The only bright spot was Bryce Dallas Howard. After Lady in the Water flopped, despite being a decent film, I just hope Mr. Night didn't decide to go for the cheap gore thrill with this movie.

Guest Smues

I'm one of the few who didn't care for Sixth Sense, but I loved Unbreakable and Signs, was only midly disgusted by the Village, and liked Lady in the Water. My only complaint I have about him lately is his role in his own movies. I don't care about directors putting themselves in movies, but IMO they shouldn't be in them in any kind of important role (Kevin Smith as Silent Bob is the exception to this.) I wasn't a big fan of his role in Signs, but it was tolerable. Less so in The Village where he basically just explains everything for the audience, but still ok. But then he goes and basically makes himself Jesus in Lady and the Water and that pissed me off. I hope that doesn't happen in The Happening.

Guest Smues
I just hope Mr. Night didn't decide to go for the cheap gore thrill with this movie.

Considering this is his first R rated film and it's being hyped incessantly as such, I wouldn't get your hopes up on that.

As for Marky Mark, I like him well enough as an actor, but I still can't see him on screen and not think "Where's the funky bunch?" His stint as a rapper will forever haunt him. FEEL THE VIBRATIONS.

Good to know. I had a feeling all the good deaths were in the trailer. Yes, I just said I hoped it wasn't a gore-fest. Fuck you, I'm still a guy.

I heard there's a scene where

where Mark walkberg apologies to a plant

which sounds pretty out there.

That's the movie, that's how he saves the world

. This whole movie sounds daft as a brush to be honest, even fans of this guy's work will come out thinking what the fuck. Sixth Sense is the only decent movie he's done, and then Unbreakable, but only because Unbreakable was like the B-Script of Sixth Sense.

I still stand by my opinion The Village is a good movie, and the backlash is just pepole bitching that the twist wasn't so great.

Based on the spoilers, I'm glad I'm saving my $9. I tought the trailers looked great.

The thing I don't like about his movies are how he refuses to go away from his set formula. He directs all the actors to show no emotion in their dialogue. It's like this serious, hushed tone that is present in every movie. Real people do not converse like that. Then there is a twist that everyone is now expecting. Why not do a different style of movie every now and then?

i predict that in the coming years, diablo cody's career will have the same pattern as m. night shyamalan. she has that same sort of vibe about her.

And then I hate hearing how "the twist wasn't that great" even when people are talking about Signs.

explain how that twist doesn't make the aliens into just the dumbest possible sentient beings in the history of anything.

People tend to forget that even noted directors such as Oliver Stone, Francis Ford Coppola, Stanley Kubrick and Brian DePalma have all made their fair share of stinkers. You can't expect perfection every time out of the gate. Granted, he's no Oscar winner, but we've seen he certainly has it in him. I don't think that should be denied.

not a fair comparison, because the criticism of shyamalan isn't that some of his movies are bad; it's that he only knows how to make one kind of movie. all of the directors you mentioned have tried different styles, different narratives, not writing the same kind of ending over and over again, etc. you can knock scorsese for making 'new york, new york'; but you can't say "it was exactly the same as 'taxi driver' only not as good."

I saw it last night. It may be the best comedy of the year, and he didn't even try.

Running from the wind!

I liked all of his movies, but reading those spoilers just pretty much killed my interest of seeing this movie. Usually spoilers make me want to see a movie to see how it gets to that point. That however makes me want a refund for a movie I haven't even paid to see yet.

Yeah, I hate to say it. But this movie is terrible. From handling of plot, to the pace to the acting. It really isn't redeemable. He should really start directing other people's scripts because his shit is brain fart ideas that should never be developed further.

Signs was total shit.

The Village is actually pretty good if you view it as if you're supposed to know the twist from the beginning (which I did).

The movie looks incredibly interesting from the trailers. But hey, I liked Lady in the Water. The Village, however, was the worst movie I had ever seen, until epic movie.

actually fucker just can't plain out right.

LOL.