TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyBlaze

2008 Summer Olympics

Don't look now, but the women's basketball team is in a tight one with Russia as well (don't forget the Becky Hammond storyline either).

EDIT: Well, it's not such a tight game anymore.

Damn. If my car weren't already paid off, I'd have put the car note on USA winning the gold in softball.

It's a helluva thing where the manager of a team basically says to her pitching staff, "You know what? I'd rather make my ace pitch three games in two days, than take my chances with any one of the rest of you worthless hoes." And it's another helluva thing when said ace goes out and shuts down the best offense in the tournament.

Give full credit to Japan, but... god damn...

Damn. If my car weren't already paid off, I'd have put the car note on USA winning the gold in softball.

It's a helluva thing where the manager of a team basically says to her pitching staff, "You know what? I'd rather make my ace pitch three games in two days, than take my chances with any one of the rest of you worthless hoes." And it's another helluva thing when said ace goes out and shuts down the best offense in the tournament.

When I saw the score on ESPN's bottom line I thought it was a mistake. Team USA has been choking hard everywhere (except on the beach and the hardwood) since Phelps finished swimming.

The women's soccer match between USA-Brazil was epic.

USA wins 1-0 in Extra time to win the gold.

Who would have ever thought that watching the Brazilian women's team would be more exciting than watching the men.

The coach that benched her in the Women's World Cup has to be one of the biggest morons in the history of sports. I have no idea what he was thinking where the day before the biggest game of the tournament he basically decided, "hmm, let's bench our young goalie who is in great form, for someone who has hardly played, has been injured, and is in her mid 30's because she was great against Brazil ten years ago. Yeah, that's the ticket!"

As much as it sucks that the Americans lost the gold to Japan in softball, someone made very good sense when they said it was probably the best thing that could happen for the sport in terms of returning to the Olympics in 2016.

When I saw the score on ESPN's bottom line I thought it was a mistake. Team USA has been choking hard everywhere (except on the beach and the hardwood) since Phelps finished swimming.

Well, you're sure not gonna like what happened on the track today.

Those relays were brutal. USA track and field is in rough shape right now.

I heard about that, but I didn't expect us to beat Jamaica in either relay so I wasn't completely caught off guard. If we couldn't challenge them individually, I didn't see how we were going to beat them as teams. The softball squad had already beaten Japan twice in the Olympics and had given up a handful of runs in the last two entire Olympic tourneys. Getting beat 10-8 I could have seen, but 3-1 with a pitcher who had thrown over 300 (I think that was the # I heard) pitches the day before is crazy.

I heard about that, but I didn't expect us to beat Jamaica in either relay so I wasn't completely caught off guard. If we couldn't challenge them individually, I didn't see how we were going to beat them as teams. The softball squad had already beaten Japan twice in the Olympics and had given up a handful of runs in the last two entire Olympic tourneys. Getting beat 10-8 I could have seen, but 3-1 with a pitcher who had thrown over 300 (I think that was the # I heard) pitches the day before is crazy.

Well, sure, but you still expect them both to medal, or at least make the final.

That's true. Maybe after the latest debacle USA track & field will learn to leave Lauryn Williams off of all future relay teams.

Misty is an awesomely bad dancer when she's goofing around. I love when they show her entrance dances on the AVP tour. I also thought it was hilarious when she started busting moves on the Great Wall of China and freaked out some of the people behind her. Not the greatest quality, but there's some of her antics.

Hacker Uncovers Chinese Olympic Fraud

IOC orders investigation into He Kexin's age

If they stripped the medals from the underage gymnasts the changes in standings would be:

Team

Gold - USA

Silver - Romania

Bronze - Russia

All Around

Gold - Nastia Liukin (same)

Silver - Shawn Johnson (same)

Bronze - Ksenia Semenova

Bars

Gold - Nastia Liukin

Silver - Beth Tweddle

Bronze - Anastasia Koval

If they strip the medals, how do they upgrade them? Do they hold another medal ceremony, or do they just like, FedEx the medals back and forth? If you go from silver to gold do you get to keep your silver and they make another one, or do you give the bronze medalist your silver and they give the 4th place person their bronze?

So many questions, I'm glad China's apparently a bunch of lying cheats so I can learn these things.

IOC: Despite questions, no proof Chinese gymnastics squad cheated

BEIJING -- Despite persistent questions about the ages of several members of the Chinese women's gymnastics team that won the gold medal, the International Olympic Committee said Friday there is still no proof anyone cheated and believes the controversy will be "put to rest." Advertisement

The IOC asked the International Gymnastics Federation to investigate "what have been a number of questions and apparent discrepancies," spokeswoman Giselle Davies said. But all of the information the Chinese gymnastics federation has presented so far supports its insistence that its athletes were old enough to compete.

"We believe the matter will be put to rest and there's no question ... on the eligibility," Davies said. "The information we have received seems satisfactory in terms of the correct documentation -- including birth certificates."

If the federation had found evidence that the gymnasts were underage, it could have affected four of China's medals. In addition to the team gold and He Kexin's gold on bars, Yang Yilin won bronze medals in the all-around and uneven bars.

Chinese coach Lu Shanzhen told the Associated Press they gave the FIG new documents on Thursday to try to remove any doubts about He's age, including an old passport, residency card and her current ID card.

Lu said all the documents were issued by various departments of the Chinese government, and that he had nothing more to put forth as evidence.

"If these valid documents are not enough to clarify this problem, then what will you believe?" an indignant Lu said.

The FIG has said repeatedly that a passport is the "accepted proof of a gymnast's eligibility," and that China's gymnasts have presented ones that show they are age eligible. The IOC also checked the girls' passports and deemed them valid before the games began.

Andre Gueisbuhler, secretary general of the FIG, said the federation would release a statement later Friday.

"For the time being, there is nothing I can add," Gueisbuhler said.

A gymnast must be 16 in an Olympic year to compete at the games. But questions about the ages of at least three of the athletes have persisted. Online records and media reports suggest three Chinese gymnasts -- He, Yang and Jiang Yuyuan -- might be as young as 14.

The IOC said previously that it had verified the passports of all athletes competing at the games.

"We are not in a position to say 'It's good, it's not good.' It's a government document," FIG president Bruno Grandi said earlier this week in an interview with the AP.

There was never any way they were going to overturn the results which is why I don't understand why NBC went so nuts to have Bela and everyone else on the gymnastics announce team continue to point out something that was never going to matter. Yes, they were underage but the documents they needed to have to "prove" they were going to be 16 this year were there and unless the Chinese government is going to benevolently admit they lied the medals will stay where they are.

What do you think about this article posted a few days ago? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olym...nion/index.html

BEIJING -- Recently I asked a Chinese journalist about the underage gymnast controversy. What, I asked her, did Chinese sportswriters who cover gymnastics think about the assertions that at least three of the members of the Chinese team were under 16? Was it western prejudice? Sour grapes? A cultural misunderstanding?

She didn't bat an eye. Chinese journalists generally knew that the gymnasts in question, He Kexin (two golds), Jiang Yuyuan (one gold), and Yang Yilin (one gold, two bronze) were underage by Federation International Gymnastics (FIG) rules. Indeed, as newspaper reports both inside and outside the country suggested, they were probably only 14 (the rules state that gymnasts must turn 16 in the year of the competition). These girls had competed in provincial and city competitions for several years, so their histories were not unknown. None of the journalists were able to say so on the record, she said, because it would cost them their jobs. Or worse. But it was common knowledge that the underage allegations were true.

If I can get that much from a single conversation with a one journalist, imagine what a full-bore IOC investigation might unearth. Where are the parents of these children? Where are the hospitals that delivered them? Where are their medical records? Their childhood neighbors and friends? The gymnasts they used to train with? Tracking down the age of these gymnasts wouldn't be rocket science, but it would take some time and effort. It might even exonerate China, and prove that, all along, the host nation was telling the truth. So why on earth hasn't it been done?

Why indeed. Cheating is cheating. The IOC spends millions of dollars trying to ferret out drug cheats. Yet they ignore allegations of institutionalized cheating by an authoritarian government that has the ability to alter the dates on a passport anytime it wants. The IOC's response to the whole underage gymnast controversy? One statement saying that they'd checked out the passports of the gymnasts in question and they were in order. Any other questions should be directed to the FIG. All's well in China. Let the Games begin.

It's an outrage. For the IOC to sit idly by while an inept organization like the FIG -- the geniuses who meekly asked Paul Hamm to return his gold medal four years ago because their judges screwed up in the middle of the competition -- allows the Chinese to operate behind a cloak of secrecy makes a mockery of the concept of fair play. Asking the FIG to certify that China's gymnasts are really 16 is like asking the International Cycling Federation to do its own drug testing. See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. The three monkeys ride again.

I'm sure they could easily find proof if they cared enough to launch a real investigation. And it really is a joke that they're just asking the FIG to investigate.

I think everyone knows that most of the Chinese team was underage, but there's no way to "prove" it unless the Chinese gov't decides to let everyone know that the passports were bogus. I remember hearing earlier today during the platform diving that in 2004 the two Chinese female representatives were 16 and 17 and no one knows where they are now even though they'd clearly be of age to still be competitive. This time around they have a 15 and 16 year old. I'd wager that the Chinese use underage athletes in almost every event that emphasizes tumbling and then discards them four years later when the next crop of 12-14 year olds are used as 14-16 year olds and then they repeat the process again four year later. No one can prove it though so there's nothing that can be done.

On a more positive note, the men's indoor volleyball team made the gold medal match by beating Russia 3-2.

Guest WhackingCockDick
This speed walking shit is ridiculous. Goddamn. Who the hell strives to become an Olympic walker? Run.

I can remember as far back as 1st grade, my teachers would be like "wow, Dan, you should try out for the Olympic speedwalking team!" because I've always been such a brisk walker. Maybe I should strive to become an Olympic walker, f/k/a atomsk.

Man, is this Olympic shit over yet? When will it be socially acceptable for me to only follow baseball again?

Yeah, I don't really give a shit about it myself outside of basketball and the occasional boxing match. I don't actively dislike it. I just want my Late Night with Conan O'Brien and SNL reruns back, dammit!

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I like watching top-level badminton and ping pong. Dressage is cool for a few minutes, when some huge horse is absurdly prancing sideways, and I don't mind race sports that are predicated on a person's top speed.