TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Alternate movie draft

OK cool, just wanted to make sure as to not throw any of you guys off. My latest pick is...

195491~Ski-School-Posters.jpg

Ski School, 1991

I knew this was in no real danger of going (at least I didn't think so), but I'm making sure that my favorites get on my list as fast as they can. This is one of those movies that some people might not recall right off the bat (most that I know tend to get it mixed up with Ski Patrol, another entertaining comedy from the same timeframe), and really should be more popular that it already is. It's gotten a new lease on life in the last year or so thanks to repeated viewings on Comedy Central. I remember buying this movie on a whim from the used bin at a local video store when I was barely a teenager, and I'm surprised that the tape never wore out given how much I watched it. Hysterical comedy starring "that guy", Dean Cameron (of Summer School and Men At Work fame...you know him when you see him), and really no one else of note. Followed by an incredibly lame followup a few years after that saw Cameron reprise his role of Dave Marshak, only to have the backstory completed retconned with a love interest and a different cast of misfit friends (including Will Sasso and Bill Dwyer). If you're gonna watch either of them, go with the first.

wow, didn't think I'd see that go this early, nice pick...I need to get this on dvd, heh

I was so happy when it was released last year, as I was getting by on my VHS to DVD transfer. Plus, part 2 had made it to DVd before this one, which is a crime. Not that I loathe part 2, but it barely hits the "passable" mark, IMO.

425220American-Splendor-Posters.jpg

American Splendor

Fuck the superheroes, this is my favorite comic book movie of all time. Another movie I can just rewatch over and over again and it never stops being fantastic.

blow.jpg

Blow, 2001

Excellent movie depicting the rise and fall of a notorious drug dealer who built a life for himself knowing nothing but that trade. Johnny Depp plays the lead as a sympathetic character despite his underworld ties, and is aided by a great supporting cast in Ray Liotta, Penelope Cruz, Jordi Molla, and even Paul Reubens.

indiana_jones_and_the_last_crusade2.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, 1989, Spielberg

I needed an Indiana Jones movie, and Raiders was already taken. I'm often back and forth between this one and Raiders being my favorite, so missing out on the first isn't a big loss.

Sorry guys, I did not know I was up. My bad.

With my 5th selection, I take:

post-2806-1216010429_thumb.jpg

Tombstone/Cosmatos/1993

Probably not a great value pick, but I have seen this movie dozens of times, and there are some memorable scenes. One of my faves.

exorcist3%20(WinCE).jpg

Exorcist III: Legion

For my money the scariest movie ever made.

violence1.jpg

History of Violence (2005)-Cronenberg

Easily the most overall satisifying Cronenberg effort with his mutation and repression themes translating well into subtle modern noir. Intruging performances, brutal violence, and one of the better mainstream sex scenes; not bad for a desert island movie.

Coffin's time is up, and since Detox has now missed 3 picks maybe we should put him on auto-skip till he does his make ups?

Works for me. I'm way too lazy to run this... by the way, I'll update the list when I pick myself. I'm also going to stop including the year and the director, and just name the film, unless anyone strongly objects.

I know I missed a pick somewhere in there so I'll just follow the Lethal Weapon blueprint of another movie love which no one else will take but I'm taking early anyway:

bronx_tale.jpg

A Bronx Tale

One of my favorite movies and pretty criminally underrated.

Well, this died real quick.

dean5.jpg

Get Carter-1971 Michael Hodges

A violent sociopathetic anti-hero viciously beating and killing people to one of the most badass soundtracks ever laid down. Easily one of the all time great noirs and possibly the greatest British movie ever made. Michael Caine brings the hate like no other.

Wow, someone actually has this on youtube. Great scene.

since this is pretty much doa, to keep it going for those still around for it, let's just do what we started doing the last few rounds in the tv draft. Each new round will start at midnight, everyone has 24 hours to make a pick.

21_STAND_BY_ME.JPG

Stand By Me

one of my must haves, could never get tired of watching it.