TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 6/30 - 7/6

Bah, I had the wrong team on my mind when looking at the standings. I was speaking of Toronto, who are right below the Orioles.

Duaner Sanchez just got his ankle rocked by a hard ground ball. I'm putting the over/under on his DL stay at 30 days.

Brett Myers was optioned down to AAA. On a professional level, he may be physically hurt and trying to pitch through it. Hopefully he can relocate his stuff in any case. On a personal level, fuck him and his wife-beating ass.

The Phils also signed their first round pick, Anthony Hewitt and assigned him to Clearwater. Unless the intent is simply to condition him in their Spring Training facility, that's awfully optimistic.

R.J. Swindle has been called up to Philadelphia. Swindle's numbers speak for themselves, a 10:1 K/BB ratio, three career home runs allowed in over 200 professional innings. He does not have overpowering stuff, he's a lefty with two breaking pitches. A mid 80s slider, and an eephus curveball.

Yahoo sports gave every team a Midterm grade.

Grade: B-minus

Baltimore Orioles: Such a shame the Orioles are in a division with those powerhouse Rays, and, oh by the way, the Red Sox and Yankees as well. This has quietly become an excellent team six days a week. Inexplicably, the Orioles have lost 12 in a row on Sundays, having won on the Sabbath only on April 6, dragging them into fourth place.

Someone over at the OH parsed the numbers out on the effect the 12 sunday losing streak has had. Take out those 12 loses and the Os are 42-28 which is a .594 winning % which would equal a 49-33 record which would put them in 2nd place 1.5 games behind TB, not counting the fact that 2 of the 12 sunday loses were to TB which if converted to wins would put the Os in first place.

Baltimore Orioles: Such a shame the Orioles are in a division with those powerhouse Rays, and, oh by the way, the Red Sox and Yankees as well. This has quietly become an excellent team six days a week. Inexplicably, the Orioles have lost 12 in a row on Sundays, having won on the Sabbath only on April 6, dragging them into fourth place.

Someone over at the OH parsed the numbers out on the effect the 12 sunday losing streak has had. Take out those 12 loses and the Os are 42-28 which is a .594 winning % which would equal a 49-33 record which would put them in 2nd place 1.5 games behind TB, not counting the fact that 2 of the 12 sunday loses were to TB which if converted to wins would put the Os in first place.

If you take out all the Reds losses and replace them with wins, they would be in first place. Drastic, I know, but so is that guy's logic.

Guest Vitamin X

The Rockies got an F on that same report, but who cares really. Something that's actually kind of funny is the fact that Colorado owns a winning record at home (21-20) despite being 33-51 overall, and they've performed better against teams outside their division (6-8 and 8-11 against the East and Central respectively) than against the NL West. What the fuck, Rockies.

And the Matt Holliday trade rumors aren't making the situation any better for whatever fans they acquired last year, plus the decline of Todd Helton's bat.

The Rockies have had a few players injured for large amoutns of time. If not for that, they would have been better. The NL West doesn't look good at all right now, and they probably would have been right up there with Arizona if not for those injuries.

I shudder to think what these threads will look like if the O's are ever actually good again.

Polanco just got robbed of an RBI thanks to one of the most unorthodox putouts I've ever seen. Grounder up the middle stopped by the shortstop and rolled from the glove to the second baseman's glove for the out.

The Rockies got an F on that same report, but who cares really. Something that's actually kind of funny is the fact that Colorado owns a winning record at home (21-20) despite being 33-51 overall, and they've performed better against teams outside their division (6-8 and 8-11 against the East and Central respectively) than against the NL West. What the fuck, Rockies.

This is really true throughout their history. The Rockies usually have the greatest differential between their home and away records in baseball.

Guest Vitamin X
The Rockies have had a few players injured for large amoutns of time. If not for that, they would have been better. The NL West doesn't look good at all right now, and they probably would have been right up there with Arizona if not for those injuries.

Which is precisely why it makes those Matt Holliday trade rumors all the more puzzling. I mean, why trade away your best player if your team is just a few healthy players and a good streak away from contending again, whether it's this season or next? Their pitching has been pretty awful as well- Jimenez, Francis, and Morales, even former closer Manny Corpas have all completely lost their touch that they seemed to have been getting last year.

If your a Red Sox fan on this board, you don't know who to hate more. The Yankees because their the Yankees, the Rays cause they're whooping your ass in their stadium, or the Orioles cause Marvin won't shut up about them.

If your a Red Sox fan on this board, you don't know who to hate more. The Yankees because their the Yankees, the Rays cause they're whooping your ass in their stadium, or the Orioles cause Marvin won't shut up about them.

I'm indifferent to them all.

What an absolutely ridiculous post. I'm tempted to bring back the Gulag simply to punish you for this.

Guest !!!

I gave into temptation.

"If they hadn't lost games, their record would be better." Get the fuck out of here.

Guest !!!

If it weren’t for my horse, I wouldn’t have spent that year in college.

If the Mets had won those 8 games they lost to the Phillies down the stretch last year, their record would be 8 games better and the Phillies 8 games worse, so instead of losing the division by one, they'd have won by 15! Baseball is a game of fucking inches, man.

Here's a first (for me at least). In the Scranton/Lehigh Valley game, Jason Lane scored from first on a WALK. Eric Duncan walked with ball four a wild pitch. Lane took off for third, catcher Jason Jaramillo threw the ball past third base to allow Lane to score.

I'm indifferent to them all.

I'm kinda exaggerating. You know what I'm going for here.

If it weren’t for my horse, I wouldn’t have spent that year in college.

Good old, Lewis Black. That line fits your avatar quite well, by the way.

Were it not a paraphrased post, Marvin's post would be the dumbest thing he's ever said on here. As it is, he didn't ridicule the notion, which suggests he, somewhere in his warped reality where the O's stand a prayer of finishing higher than fourth, agrees with it.

What kind of bizarro world is this where the Rays are the best team in baseball heading into July 4th weekend?

Guest Smues
I remember when Steven J. Rogers said that wins in September count more

Last time I checked games in September are weighted more than games in April and May.

I love that quote.

What kind of bizarro world is this where the Rays are the best team in baseball heading into July 4th weekend?

One where managers believe calling a hit and run with Jason Varitek at the plate is a wise move?

I'd like to say that the Rays are just playing over their heads and will settle back to third by the end of July (which I believe), but nobody else in the division is playing that well right now. This four game series this weekend is going to be painful to watch (well, as painful as a typical 5-hour Red Sox-Yankees game usually is).

Edited by KingPK

The hit and run was bad enough with Varitek batting, it was downright retarded with Mike Lowell running.

The Rays are absolutely not playing over their heads. They have the best starting pitching in baseball. That always equates to wins.