TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 6/30 - 7/6

LaPorta was the Brewer's best prospect. He was being looked at as probably Prince Fielder's successor, to give you an indication of his potential.

They obviously will sign Fielder long term and that wont be a problem.

Scott Boras is his agent.

From everything I've read, no other team was close to offering a package comparable to the one the Brewers put together. And again, no team is going to unload its farm system for three months service, regardless of the stakes. Just because Seattle is an incompetent organization doesn't mean the Indians should or could have sat on C.C. waiting for a better offer to come around.

Guest !!!

The Brewers will rue the day they gave up Matt LaPorta for under three months of C.C. Sabathia.

Agreed. Sheets and CC are both walking after this year. There are rumblings they may deal Fielder this offseason due to Boras. This could be their last chance to compete for a few years, especially without LaPorta to replace Fielder. If they don't make the playoffs this year they have really hurt themselves for the next 2-3 years.

If you keep LaPorta you could deal fielder for a great package, probably including a great starter, and then have LaPorta ready at first. This is really mortgaging the next few years.

Do they have any pitchers ready to step into the rotation next year? They still have some solid bats without Fielder.

The Brewers will rue the day they gave up Matt LaPorta for under three months of C.C. Sabathia.

Possibly. But if you have a player who is clearly blocked at two positions (he's been put in left but Ryan Braun is now there), you need to do something with him. And besides LaPorta, the Brewers now have a prospect named Mat Gamel who is hitting .381 at Huntsville. Gamel's a third baseman with an .870 career fielding percentage, so obviously his future lies at another position. Figure he could step in by 2010, and again you have a talent surplus.

The Brewers have Mat Gamel waiting in the wings...so either he or LaPorta were probably expendable.

The upside, even if Sheets and Sabathia both walk (though I have the feeling the Brewers will aggressively try to re-sign at least one of them, probably more likely Sheets), is that they will get four high draft picks in next June's draft. They'll just keep re-stocking their farm system, just like they did last month with all their extra picks.

The Brewers are showing how important a good draft is. The Cubs could get in on trades like this if they weren't hung up on toolsy position players and pitchers who want to moonlight as football players.

Anyway, this is a trade that you totally do if you're the Brewers. The NL is so weak that the Brew Crew had to be the wild card favorites before the trade. Assuming Sheets stays healthy (never a sure thing), they have a real shot at the Central. They're within striking distance of the Cubs. Unless the Cubs counter this trade with a trade of a Burnett or Harden, their regression could mean the Brewers overtaking the Central.

It's a complete "win now" move, but when you're in the Brewers' spot, you make that move. Sheets is gone after this year and you can't just assume you'll only improve next year. The 2006 Tigers and 2007 Indians are proof that if you're in a position to make a real run at it all, you go all in.

Here is the rumored complete trade:

To bolster their starting rotation for a playoff run, the Brewers were forced to part with top prospect Matt LaPorta, an outfielder, plus Triple-A left-hander Zach Jackson, Class A right-hander Rob Bryson and a player to be named later. According to some reports, that player will be 2007 Brewers Minor League Player of the Year Taylor Green, a third baseman.

Is Taylor Green a big prospect? I haven't heard much about him.

I'm waiting on doing an MLB draft until a later date. However, I'm interested in doing a sort of mini-draft on my blog. An All-Yankees draft. I'd want no more than six people for it, myself and five others. Only serious inquiries. Anyone interested?

I'm interested, depending on when you are doing it.