TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Question about 'Taker's Wrestlemania streak: when did they first acknowledge it? Was he 3-0 before they said, "Hey this guy has a streak" or was it deeper in? Just asking this, because after thinking about it, I rrally think that is one thing that they have that's untouchable in the ring. I think he is going to retire undefeated, but that's just me.

I don't know the answer to this question, but I wouldn't consider something to be a streak until at least the 4th time it occurs. Maybe 3rd, if it's something that's really hard to accomplish, but when you have a "50/50" shot of winning, 3 in a row isn't THAT incredible.

I'm pretty Undertaker's Streak was first noticed at Wrestlemania 12 or 13.

I think it was the time that his 20 year aniversity was coming up. They started talking about his Wrestlemania streak...or maybe it was before his match with HHH.

If it was mentioned in 1997 it was just "Hey, Taker is unbeaten at WM" and they moved on. I don't recall it being any sort of significant storyline mention in 1998 or 99 and of course he missed WM in 2000 due to injury. During the HHH feud in 2001 it became a bigger deal and has taken more added importance each year since.

Any update on Greg Helms? I thought he was set to return and working house show matches months ago. I don't quite know how he'd fit in on Smackdown now though since we already have a cruiserweight in a main event role (Kendrick).

Wow, I totally forgot Gregory Helms was still employed. How long has he been injured anyway? It seems like its been over a year, and they also buried the cruiserweight title with Hornswoggle getting it, so I don't know what he'll do when he gets back.

I wonder when there was a concious decision backstage to keep his streak going.

It'd be interesting if they had booked WM9 to be a DDQ or have him lose by count-out. I'm sure if you go back, they had to at least mention that 'Taker had never lost a WM match by the time he got around 3-0.

I think I was a few years ahead of my time at Mania XII because I had thought a "great idea" would be since "everyone" (the people who knew Nash was leaving) knew Diesel had no chance of beating Undertaker on his way out, he SHOULD win just to fool everyone. Undertaker could then beat him on free TV to pop a good rating against Nitro. So yes, apparently in 1996 I thought exactly the same way Vince Russo would years later.

Eh, I can just see UT's reaction to that booking meeting. "I'm not feeling it" wouldn't even begin to describe it.

Man, how sad would that be though if he did in fact have that 1 WM loss via countout to Gonzalez? That said, he would likely have more than 1 loss since there would be no point in him winning all of these other matches in that case.

Eh, I can just see UT's reaction to that booking meeting. "I'm not feeling it" wouldn't even begin to describe it.

Man, how sad would that be though if he did in fact have that 1 WM loss via countout to Gonzalez? That said, he would likely have more than 1 loss since there would be no point in him winning all of these other matches in that case.

I don't think 'Taker had the power to reject booking plans that early since a great deal of his power comes with tenure (at that point 6 years isn't that long when others were around longer at that point) and loyalty (Undertaker hadn't shown that loyalty to Vince yet by not going to WCW when he could've).

It's possible they would have simply made it to be a "never beaten/pinned" but it'd still be be 15-1*.

When you look at each brands respective roster pages, you cant help but notice that alot wrestlers are scarcely seen on TV so should WWE invest in a HEAT/Velocity esqe show to facilitate them?

Theres certainly room for another show and most definetley the guys on the roster to fill it, I was thinking it would be kind of cool to create a D show that is multibranded, so you get an ECW match, a SD match and a RAW match with various promos and highlights dotted in between. The show could have its own governer/governing body to create a differant atmosphere to that of HEAT/Velocity because I think they would definetley need to shy away from a likeness to those shows as they truly died a death near the end.

Could a D show legitimatley help raise the profiles of some of the lowercard guys? Over to you.

post-5934-1220178591_thumb.jpg

Haha, I'm just saying if UT did in fact attempt to reject a booking plan involving jobbing to Nash when Nash was leaving the company he would have been within his rights to do so. I've often thought it was amazing how much heat Nash had when he arrived in WCW considering all the high profile jobbing he had done in the last 6 months of his WWF run. I guess his character was so bad ass though that it didn't hurt.

No it's because the fans don't care how many matches a wrestler loses. Maybe one day you'll understand this, fans don't keep track how many times someone wins or loses.

They don't keep track of records but they will notice if someone has a tendency to lose often and would be less inclined to get behind them unless it's someone they have already built a connection with (which is why Cena can lose so many PPV events and only the cabbageboy's of the world take notice while the fans aren't bothered) or it's the point of that particular person.

Dreamer jobbed all the time but he was always over. That's where good booking can save a guy regardless of the non-existant win-loss record.

Well that's a different story. I think if someone is established enough, I really don't think fans are going to keep track of his/her win-loss record. Unless they're losing to people they shouldn't be losing to. That might be one thing, but if that wrestler is losing to other just as established wrestlers, then the fans aren't gonna care. It also depends on how the match goes and what happens during the match.

I'm sure this won't be reported anywhere, but I have a friend in the touring concert industry (he's a guitar tech for a bunch of mainstream bands) who I got together with last night as he worked the Black Crowes show here in MN, and he mentioned that ZZ Top (who he is tight with, he's Billy Gibbons guitar guy) is supposedly going to be doing the theme for Mania XV and they will also be performing there live next year in Houston. On top of it, I got invited already to go to the show, but as a stagehand for the band during the event. Saying I'm fucking excited is probably an understatement!

I'm sure this won't be reported anywhere, but I have a friend in the touring concert industry (he's a guitar tech for a bunch of mainstream bands) who I got together with last night as he worked the Black Crowes show here in MN, and he mentioned that ZZ Top (who he is tight with, he's Billy Gibbons guitar guy) is supposedly going to be doing the theme for Mania XV and they will also be performing there live next year in Houston. On top of it, I got invited already to go to the show, but as a stagehand for the band during the event. Saying I'm fucking excited is probably an understatement!

ZZ Top is the best they can get for the 25th anniversary WM?

ZZ Top is the best they can get for the 25th anniversary WM?

Well, it's in Houston. They'll probably have multiple theme songs like they did this year and in previous years.

Stuff like wins/losses should at least matter in terms of a guy's placement on the card though. Cena had lost to JBL on PPV, then Batista on another PPV without any real controversy....so why exactly is he in yet ANOTHER PPV main event with a title on the line? Other than getting a blatant push? Wins and losses may not matter in a case like The Rock in 2000 where he was being screwed and ripped off at every turn and just needed a fair shot. But Cena? He's had numerous fair shots, jobbed out, so if he hadn't gotten hurt he needed a trip down the card to build back his heat.

Anyway the best example I can think of in terms of a guy being jobbed totally out is Taz. He lost all of his invincible aura late in 1999 when he lost to Awesome, Sabu, and RVD in ECW. Mind you, the WWF's booking didn't do him any favors, but once he lost repeatedly I don't think he ever regained that aura.

ZZ Top is a good twenty five years past their prime but they really are a good catch by WWE standards.

ZZ Top performed a concert in Hill Valley in 1885 for God's sake!

This thread will also be locked, closed, and replaced by a Venkman Original (not really but I'll try and think of something) when I get up tomorrow morning, so pay homage to my reference while you all still have the chance.