TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

Discussion: Possible DC Universe Movies

OK...rewatching eps of Justice League and JLU have made me ponder this:

What would be some possible movies that can be made of DC Universe characters?

I'll list three "Big" choices first:

Wonder Woman: With an upcoming animated movie release coming out, I'm starting to wonder if it's finally time for Hollywood to get its act back together to give the Amazon princess a live-action movie of her own. For a first installment, I could easily see them focusing more on the ancient Greece aspect of her character rather than the contemporary villains she faces in "man's world". The only trick would be finding the right woman for the part...

Green Lantern: Here, you have 3 (four if you wanna go an alternate route and do the ORIGINAL Green Lantern) possible choices for the story: Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner or John Stewart. In any case of the choice...this would be a more fantastical, space based story to do, and with CGI having improved for a while now, the effects of the ring in real life could be very interesting.

The Flash: A little bit more tricky to do...or maybe not (I never saw the short-lived Flash TV series, so I don't know how well a film version would do). Nevertheless, you have 2 (or 3...again, if you choose to do the ol' Mercury helmet Flash) choices here...Barry Allen or Wally West. This hero could be the wisecracker that the movie Spidey SHOULD have been in fights. ...though I can't see some of his villains (Captain Boomerang, Captain Cold, Grodd) translating well to the big screen.

Aquaman: ...you may laugh at this choice, but here's something that people tend to forget: he has to patrol 3/4 of the planet. And he doesn't necessarily have to be portrayed as a pure hero. The 90s Superman cartoon, as well as Justice League, portrayed him as somewhat of a jerk. A little bit playing up on that could possibly work.

Now for some lesser ones I thought of.

Blackhawks: Could be a fun period piece...

Zatanna/Dr. Fate: Two seperate characters I included as one here...not enough mystical heroes out there, IIRC.

Doom Patrol: A team of heroes that could serve as a "testing ground" movie of sorts to a possible Justice League movie in the future.

The Atom: ...hey if Marvel's planning an Ant Man movie, why not?

EDIT: Captain Marvel. Mix Superman with a child like innocence...having a kid having to act like an adult when a hero...could be a pretty fun movie.

Thoughts?

OK...rewatching eps of Justice League and JLU have made me ponder this:

What would be some possible movies that can be made of DC Universe characters?

I'll list three "Big" choices first:

Wonder Woman: With an upcoming animated movie release coming out, I'm starting to wonder if it's finally time for Hollywood to get its act back together to give the Amazon princess a live-action movie of her own. For a first installment, I could easily see them focusing more on the ancient Greece aspect of her character rather than the contemporary villains she faces in "man's world". The only trick would be finding the right woman for the part...

This live action movie has been in developmental hell for years. The last person they tapped to direct this, Joss Whedon, pulled out I beleive due to creative differences with Warner Bros.

Green Lantern: Here, you have 3 (four if you wanna go an alternate route and do the ORIGINAL Green Lantern) possible choices for the story: Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner or John Stewart. In any case of the choice...this would be a more fantastical, space based story to do, and with CGI having improved for a while now, the effects of the ring in real life could be very interesting.

Five, actually: Everyone forgetts Guy Gardner. This could be a good movie, but it might be tricky to pull off if they go the route of the Green LAtnern Corps. Kep it on Earth for one movie, then move it to space for any subsequent films.

The Flash: A little bit more tricky to do...or maybe not (I never saw the short-lived Flash TV series, so I don't know how well a film version would do). Nevertheless, you have 2 (or 3...again, if you choose to do the ol' Mercury helmet Flash) choices here...Barry Allen or Wally West. This hero could be the wisecracker that the movie Spidey SHOULD have been in fights. ...though I can't see some of his villains (Captain Boomerang, Captain Cold, Grodd) translating well to the big screen.

Again, you forgot about Bart Allen. Sure, he was only Flash for about a dozen issues before they freakin' killed him off, but he was a Flash. And I could see the studios using him, as he might better relate to younger audiences. Though personally I'd love to see a live ction, Barry Allen Flash movie.

Aquaman: ...you may laugh at this choice, but here's something that people tend to forget: he has to patrol 3/4 of the planet. And he doesn't necessarily have to be portrayed as a pure hero. The 90s Superman cartoon, as well as Justice League, portrayed him as somewhat of a jerk. A little bit playing up on that could possibly work.

I beleive that is actually in the workds- as a campy comedy. Yeah....

Unfortunately not very well known outside of the more die hard fans (or those who read Birds of Prey), but I agree this would make a great period piece

Honestly, I think that you could do it as a mix of Amazon/Man's World, and have a villian, say an evil Amazonian threaten the adopted world WW lives in.

I'd go with the ultimate space based story that I can find, with Hal Jordan as GL and probably Sinestro as the Villian. Would be a great story, (as long as Jack Black is nowhere near this one, as his rumored GL would have killed the franchise.

There's a rumor that this is in development, with Ryan Reynolds as Flash, but I'll believe it when I see it. You probably would have to cap Flash's speed here, but you could make a believeable movie that is really good with Flash, I'd probably either split between either the Allen or the West version here.

Interesting idea, maybe do some sort of environmental piece with an action hero, something along those lines, but don't get so heavy handed

Never read it

Zatanna/Dr. Fate: Two seperate characters I included as one here...not enough mystical heroes out there, IIRC.

I'd probably shy away from Dr. Fate, but Zatanna would be good, especially with the fishnets

Doom Patrol: A team of heroes that could serve as a "testing ground" movie of sorts to a possible Justice League movie in the future.

Are we talking regular Doom Patrol, or Morrison-era DP?

The Atom: ...hey if Marvel's planning an Ant Man movie, why not?

Go completely campy sci-fi, but in a good way and this could be a go.

EDIT: Captain Marvel. Mix Superman with a child like innocence...having a kid having to act like an adult when a hero...could be a pretty fun movie.

In pre-production, with I believe The Rock starring as Capt Marvel

A movie I'd love to see is something on the Books of Magic (imagine a Harry Potter type movie) or Major Bummer (slacker becomes a superhero, good fun)

I think that Flash got cancelled didn't it? David Goyer wrote the script, and Ryan Reynolds was going to star. I'm not sure what happened there, maybe WB thinks that besides Batman and Superman, no one cares about DC?

I too remember those rumors about The Green Lantern being a comedy starring Jack Black, but that has the chance of a snowball in hell now. Of course they probably considered doing that around the time that the awful Catwoman movie came out.

not enough mystical heroes out there, IIRC.

Sure there are. Some writers make a running joke out of the number of similarly-attired modern sorcerors in the DC canon. One of them even got his own major motion picture. Or don't you remember the blond trenchcoat-wearing Englishman being played by brunette business-suited Keanu Reeves?

Unfortunately not very well known outside of the more die hard fans (or those who read Birds of Prey), but I agree this would make a great period piece

Well, to be honest...how many people outside comic book fans knew about Watchmen?

I hope Warner Bros finally gets their shit together after seeing the major bank that a serious, faithfull version of Batman is pulling in.

I mean, the godawfull version of the Justice League movie that was so close to being made, had the writers strike not happened, sounded just terrible. Then there was the comedy Green Lantern where Jack Black would play a bumbling moron that happens across a power ring and accidentaly becomes a superhero because the ring keeps doing it for him. And then there was Catwoman.

The ones that had potential were the Joss Whedon Wonder Woman and that Flash movie that was written by Goyer and was possibly going to star Ryan Renolds. Too bad those didn't happen.

Are we talking regular Doom Patrol, or Morrison-era DP?

Being that most of my experience with DC comic heroes and such comes from either the cartoons, movies, or Wikipedia...I have to ask...

What's the difference between regular DP and Morrison-era DP?

Another character I could see getting a movie of his own.

Lobo.

Start him off in a Superman movie (yes, they are still doing a sequel to Superman Returns) as either a villain or an anti-hero (kinda like his role in the Superman cartoon...first he fights Supes, then has to team with him for a bigger threat) which leads to a spin-off movie of his own.

NO. Dear god, NO! No Lobo! He's the shittiest character in the history of shitty characters! I can't stand the sum-bitch! I never what to see him on any screen, big or small!

That beign said, I think Teen Titans could be a good movie for the younger crowd- the problem being either Robin or Nightwing- if you want to keep the movies in the same univers (a'la Marvel), how could you use either of them?

NO. Dear god, NO! No Lobo! He's the shittiest character in the history of shitty characters! I can't stand the sum-bitch! I never what to see him on any screen, big or small!

That beign said, I think Teen Titans could be a good movie for the younger crowd- the problem being either Robin or Nightwing- if you want to keep the movies in the same univers (a'la Marvel), how could you use either of them?

Robin/Nightwing: ...well, you could have Nightwing work as someone who likes Batman's style, and takes his own spin on it. Maybe. *Shrug*

I might be the only one who but I think the Superman franchise needs a reboot ala The Hulk. I didn't hate Superman Returns at all but it was clearly a single up the middle instead of the home run it should have been (and Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were). Routh is too bland, even for a relatively straight laced character like Clark Kent/Superman.

I might be the only one who but I think the Superman franchise needs a reboot ala The Hulk. I didn't hate Superman Returns at all but it was clearly a single up the middle instead of the home run it should have been (and Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were). Routh is too bland, even for a relatively straight laced character like Clark Kent/Superman.

I'm willing to give Routh the benefit of the doubt until this next movie [Tentatively titled "Superman: The Man of Steel"] comes out, to see if he grows into the part.

I think Routh is fine.. I just think that they picked a really bad angle for the new movie. They should've rebooted completely and not made this a "continuation" to Superman 2 with Reeves.

I might catch some crap from this statement (I've never had more than a passing interest in comic books but have always liked comic book movies) but I think there was too much angst in Superman Returns. I mean, angst is understandable I guess given that he's the last survivor of his home planet but the movie didn't have the sense of sly, tongue in cheek humor and wonder it should have and the '78 film did have.

The continuation idea was terrible too, just awful.

I think Routh was a great Superman/Clark and the film was good enough, it just lacked anything really great. I mean, the climax was Superman fighting an island.

A reboot would definately not be the way to go. The first one made enough money (about the same as Batman begins, actually more worldwide) and had pretty darn good critical reception, so Singer deserves to make another in the same continuity. There just seems to be this retarded internet meme that the movie was a total flop and was complete shit.

Singer has talked about his plans for a second one which he said would have more action, a more credible threat, and be darker (he mentioned Wrath of Khan vs the first Star Trek movie as a comparison). Hopefully that means the kid bites it at least. He also said that a second one wouldn't have the references and homages to the original series like he felt was necessary in Superman Returns.

I have never liked Superman either. Why should I care about a superhero who can't be hurt, and his archenemy is a guy who can't do anything to him? I also think Superman Returns flopped because Superman is just an outdated character. I mean, he just screams old timey to me. Batman is a timeless character because he is the most realistic superhero, and has dark and psychological stories.

What was good about Routh was his Clark Kent was a different spin on the bumbling take Reeve did. He played him as a guy who tries to sound confident when speaking but no one pays attention so he just starts to trail off while talking.

The problem was Bosworth as Lois Lane, she just didn't click, honestly I'd have picked a brunette Kate Hudson, she'd have at least given the role spunk.

I'm just hoping that in a future Superman movie, we get a scene similar to this one.

Batista IS Superman!

The problem was Bosworth as Lois Lane, she just didn't click, honestly I'd have picked a brunette Kate Hudson, she'd have at least given the role spunk.

Yeah Bosworth was a bad bad casting choice.

I'm just hoping that in a future Superman movie, we get a scene similar to this one.

Looks like a scene from Dragon Ball Z

Nah, if it were DBZ, Supes would have a red and blue aura around him, wouldn't have the speech and insted would be screaming as he charged up for 10 minutes, his hair would be gold, and at various points in the fight he would give Darkseid the opportunity to redeem himself.

Getting back on subject though, anyone have any casting choices for some of the movie ideas I listed in the first post?

Batista IS Superman!

Yea, I got a little laugh out of the music playing.

And unless in the episode Metropolis was evacuated, Superman totally just killed quite a few people there. Throwing Darkseid through the buildings. Not to mention the reconstruction that streets gonna need. Although that's quite the norm in comics.

Batista IS Superman!

Yea, I got a little laugh out of the music playing.

And unless in the episode Metropolis was evacuated, Superman totally just killed quite a few people there. Throwing Darkseid through the buildings. Not to mention the reconstruction that streets gonna need. Although that's quite the norm in comics.

If I remember correctly, Luthor and the remaining members of the Legion did warn the Justice League about Darkseid...so I'm assuming Metropolis for the most part WAS abandoned.

Been a while since I've seen the episode though.

My favorite superhero is Superman and after watching "Superman Returns" I vowed that I would never watch that movie again. It doesn't exist in my mind.

Routh was good as Clark but he didn't inspire as Superman. He looked like Reeve but was not built like him. For Superman you need a larger than life person. I would seriously cast Dwayne Johnson as Superman if I were making a Superman movie.

Bosworth as Lois was not a good choice.

However the thing that bugged the shit of me was the portrayal of Lex Luthor. He needed to be the Lex from "Smallville", from the animated series, and from the "52" comic book series. The evil business man that is basically the smartest, heartless, richest, most powerful person in the world.