TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/28 - 8/3

The one knock on Hanley is that he kind of fades under pressure. His numbers w/ RISP are not very good and he just handled that at-bat very poorly.

Ricky Weeks can't settle for just being a .200 lead-off hitter, he has to throw away important double plays as well.

0-162!

Gotta love how Santana gave the bullpen a day off, opening the door for Maine to leave early the next day and overwork the bullpen all over again.

It's true. This team needs an arm in the bullpen, even more so than they need an outfielder. They can't afford for Minaya to be complacent here, with the Mets only now half a game ahead of Philly and one game ahead of Florida.

I suppose when I told a few of you guys that the first team to score in our game would win, I was right. Not very good.

Marvin, "nearly missed" means it actually happened but almost didn't, not the other way around. George Carlin talked about this during one of his specials. He said that news anchors often made the misnomer of saying a "near miss" for aircraft that almost collided. His take was two planes spectacularly collide in mid-air and there is carnage all around. An on-looker says, "Aw, look...they nearly missed!"

Guest The Elements of Style

"If they hadn't (one of two possible outcomes) they would've (other of two possible outcomes)," is some serious Tim McCarver shit. Yet another communicational pratfall that the poor bastard will never be allowed to live down for the rest of his time here. This isn't sympathetic.

i think its clear that the tigers need to be sellers. of course, i'd love to be proven wrong, but i don't see them coming close to sniffing the playoffs. if they can get anything worthwhile for renteria, pudge, kenny rogers, nate robertson, sheffield, or even the abysmal todd jones (a bag of balls?) they should pull the trigger. no doubt. beef up for the next few years.

Jayson Stark reports a Jason Donald for Ron Mahay deal possibly in the works. Donald would will the Royals' gaping organizational void at shortstop. Mahay would gives the Phillies an actual relief pitcher.

For kicks here is my favorite Jason Donald picture.

l_4bade81c10f935b380d842c8292a6613.jpg

That does not seem like appropriate value. Isn't Casey Kotchman a free agent next year?

I like the deal from both sides. The Angels have the best record in baseball. With Vlad Guerrero possibly beginning to slide, they need to go balls out to win a title. The Braves get three years of a strong young first baseman, and a reliever with some upside (Marek has dealt with extremely difficult pitchers' environments the last two seasons).

Os fans are pissed because it looks like they'll miss out on signing Tex whos from around the area and they were hoping to sign him as a FA.

Did they really think that Tex was going to take about a $30+ million hometown discount? The Yankees are going to break the bank to get him.

Os fans are pissed because it looks like they'll miss out on signing Tex whos from around the area and they were hoping to sign him as a FA.

Did they really think that Tex was going to take about a $30+ million hometown discount? The Yankees are going to break the bank to get him.

Peter Angelos supposedly REALLY wants him which means he might be willing to outspend even the Yankees to get him. Which basically means if they get him, he'll end up being the next Albert Belle since Belle was the last guy Angelos wanted badly enough to overspend to get.

the Os will probably have a lot of salary coming off the books anyway here if they can trade guys like Payton and Huff, though Aubrey is making a case for them to think twice about dealing him.

I like the trade too, because that's another player off the market that the Dodgers can't trade Matt Kemp for.

Even though it was the Angels that got him.

A note from Jim Callis of Baseball America in the "Ask BA" column. I personally still am interested in Olympic baseball (it IS baseball after all), but I agree with his opinions. The new rules are ridiculous.

I witnessed a lot of crazy things when I covered the international baseball beat for Baseball America from 1989-97, and I never thought I'd see anything more ridiculous than a play in the 1990 Goodwill Games. Mexico wanted to end a game against the Soviet Union via the mercy rule, so shortstop Javier Acosta tried to steal home. Outfielder David Trejo took a full swing anyway, almost decapitating Acosta while hitting a grounder to second base. Acosta's slide took out Trejo at the plate, so the Soviets threw him out at first base while he lay on his back in the batter's box.

But now that absurdity has been topped. The International Baseball Federation has adopted a speed-up rule that will be used in international competition, starting with the Beijing Olympics. Beginning in the 11th inning, teams will open each frame with runners on first and second base. Additionally, to start the 11th inning, clubs can decide where they want to begin in the batting order (though they won't be able to further reset the order in later innings).

"The upcoming Beijing Olympic competition may be our last unless we are successful in adding the sport back to the Olympic program for the 2016 Games," IBAF president Dr. Harvey W. Schiller said. "We must demonstrate to the International Olympic Committee not only does our game belong alongside the other great sports of the world, but our sport is manageable from a television and operational standpoint."

This asinine rule is going to restore baseball's status as an Olympic sport? I had little interest in watching Olympic baseball, and I have even less now.

I cant believe how well the Os are playing vs the Yankees. 13-4 last night, 6-1 tonight so far in the 7th, with excellent starting pitching from Guthrie and Cabrera. This bats have stayed hot through the slump which was mostly caused by the starting pitching get shelled around. Trembley shook up the rotation sending Liz down and moving Sarfate to the rotation for tomorrow, so maybe its the start of a good turn around here..

No hitter broken up after 8 1/3.

I don't know what Met fans think, but I personally think that I'm Keith Hernandez is a damn fine color man. He always compliments both teams, he's fair and biased and not at all a homer. He might be my favorite road color guy to listen to.

I think he's good for the most part, but when the game's not competitive and he goes off on ridiculous tangents he can be a little grating.

Im seriously pissed that I missed Dave "Captain Kirk" Trembley on Regis and Kelly this morning even if he was just in the audience.

Regis: "So...what did my boy Mike Mussina do?"

Dave Trembley (smiling): "He threw the ball over the plate."

HOLY CRAP

D-Cab got thrown out for hitting ARod..he didnt hit him intentionally..damnit

Guest The Elements of Style
HOLY CRAP

DAMN HIM STRAIGHT TO HELL

HOLY CRAP

DAMN HIM STRAIGHT TO HELL

For Cabrera to hit a batter intentionally would suggest that he has some semblance of control. That is obviously false. Now if he gets one over the plate, THEN he should get tossed for headhunting.