TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/28 - 8/3

Reds get:

IF Danny Richar

P Nick Masset

yep, a bag of balls!

The two players I idolized as a youth, Griffey and Thomas have now both been players on my favorite team. This is a good day. Even if he doesn't contribute much... this is a good day.

Swisher to first, Griffey platoons at center with Brian Anderson, Paulie sits for a while.

Occasionally Griffey DH's

Reds get:

IF Danny Richar

P Nick Masset

yep, a bag of balls!

The two players I idolized as a youth, Griffey and Thomas have now both been players on my favorite team. This is a good day. Even if he doesn't contribute much... this is a good day.

Swisher to first, Griffey platoons at center with Brian Anderson, Paulie sits for a while.

You think there's a legit chance Griffey plays center? I didn't think about it too much, but considering how he's struggled in right this year I just don't see him being an option there.

Reds get:

IF Danny Richar

P Nick Masset

yep, a bag of balls!

You think there's a legit chance Griffey plays center? I didn't think about it too much, but considering how he's struggled in right this year I just don't see him being an option there.

I think he is serviceable. I cant see them moving Quentin or Dye, and It seems silly to solely have him sit and exclusively share DH time with Thome

Guest Cal Moriarty

And now they're talking about John Lannan for Brian Anderson. Don't do it, Jim Bowden. Don't be a fucking retard and give up your ace for a Mendoza line outfielder. Sounds like the Sox won't pay any of Griffey's salary, either. Well, they're having a good day.

And now they're talking about John Lannan for Brian Anderson. Don't do it, Jim Bowden. Don't be a fucking retard and give up your ace for a Mendoza line outfielder. Sounds like the Sox won't pay any of Griffey's salary, either. Well, they're having a good day.

Actually it'd probably be for Josh Fields. I don't even know this Lannan dude, and how he came to be an ace of a major league team. But I wouldn't probably be too excited acquiring a pitcher out of the Nationals' system. I mean, it's Washington.

Guest Cal Moriarty

Crede is hurt. Who's going to play third? That's what scuttled the Fields for Duchscherer trade.

If Griffey is going to be the everyday center fielder, the White Sox' outfield doesn't field very well. Carlos Quentin could be the American League MVP, though.

On Sunday, if you had bet me $100 that the Cubs would sweep this series, I'd have taken that action.

If this holds up...wow. What a message to send!

Guest Cal Moriarty

Brewers should perk right up again in Atlanta, but the Cubs are coming home to Wrigley to face the Pirates without Nady, LaRoche, Capps, Marte, and possibly Bay.

Lannan or Hanrahan to the White Sox is dead, by the way. I wonder if Randy Lerner yanked the phone out of Bowden's hand and hung it up.

Finally, the Sox do something good at the trade deadline! Griffey's nowhere near what he used to be, but he's still solid and the Sox barely gave up anything (Nick Masset and Danny Richar) for him!

Marty Brennamen just told this story on the radio:

Marty and Griffey were on an elevator in the team hotel this morning at about 6 am after flying in on the red eye from Houston. Griffey's room was on 7, Marty's was on 6. When the elevator stopped at 6 Marty went to get off but griffey stopped him and pulled him aside, and told him he had something to tell him. Griffey held out his hand, thanked Marty and told him he was always fair with him. Marty asked what this was over, Griffey said he was just traded to Chicago. At first Marty thought he was joking, but griffey showed him the message on his phone. They then held each other as the tears slowly rolled down their quivering faces.

LOL, Griffey in Center. You guys have no clue what you're getting. Griffey was easily the worst outfielder in Cincy, and they have Dunn in left. He is beyond horrible, his legs are shot, and is a virtual statue out there, but hey, have fun with him.

Guest Cal Moriarty
He is beyond horrible, his legs are shot, and is a virtual statue out there, but hey, have fun with him.

Actually, the White Sox probably plan to build a statue of him. They build statues for pretty much everyone. Monument Park has Ruth, Gehrig, and Mantle. AT&T Park has a statue of Mays. Comiskey Park has a statue of Juan Uribe. Load up the minivan, honey, we're going to Aaron Rowand Statue Dedication Night.

LOL, Griffey in Center. You guys have no clue what you're getting. Griffey was easily the worst outfielder in Cincy, and they have Dunn in left. He is beyond horrible, his legs are shot, and is a virtual statue out there, but hey, have fun with him.

I have to reiterate the fact that I'm geeked out about this griffey trade solely because he is Ken Griffey Jr., one of my childhood heroes. I have no illusions about Griffey's defensive performance, I like the pop he'll bring to the 5 , 6, or 7 spot, and I honestly can't wait to see him in a white sox uniform. It's a mark out moment, kids.

The fact that I've grown more and more disillusioned with Paul Konerko adds to the excitement because this gives an opening to have him sit for a while....Konerko/Griffey are a wash defensively, but offensively I have much more faith in Jr.

Griffey is a shell of his former self on defense, but to say he is the worst outfielder on the team is unfair. In my opinion, it is a statement that has grown out of fans' bitching about him overall, and trying to hold him to the level of play he was at in his prime. He still made countless catches on the run, diving catches, and still has a strong accurate arm. He has great instincts on where to throw and gets it done quickly.

Dunn has improved his Magellan-like routes, but he is still a lackadaisical fielder. He is fast for his size, but not quick in the slightest definition of the word. He has a lot of carry on his throws, but not a lot of velocity. Also, he has a habit of double-pumping and trying to figure out the very best place to throw the ball. Runners always challenge him, which is the result of the scouting reports on who to run on. Watch him in the field and you will see the things I am talking about. He never fields the ball with his momentum geared toward the desired target ready to throw before it gets there. He just sort of "quarterbacks" the ball to where it is going, which is apropo considering he is a former QB.

Griffey is slower than he once was (by far), and doesn't try to break his neck on every play (which is good), but he is still diving and jumping and making great catches. It is popular to hate Griffey right now because he should not be batting third, but the hate he gets on his fielding is not justified. And let's not start sucking each others' dicks because Adam Dunn doesn't fall down or drop as many routine fly balls as he used to.

I have to reiterate the fact that I'm geeked out about this griffey trade solely because he is Ken Griffey Jr., one of my childhood heroes. I have no illusions about Griffey's defensive performance, I like the pop he'll bring to the 5 , 6, or 7 spot, and I honestly can't wait to see him in a white sox uniform. It's a mark out moment, kids.

The fact that I've grown more and more disillusioned with Paul Konerko adds to the excitement because this gives an opening to have him sit for a while....Konerko/Griffey are a wash defensively, but offensively I have much more faith in Jr.

Griffey has been swinging the bat pretty good since the all star break. Just last night he drilled one into the upper deck in Houston. If he gets hot he can still swing it. Prior to this streak he has had a slow bat all year, getting beat on fastballs easily, and just picking on offspeed stuff. His 600th HR was a good example of that, it came on a breaking ball, I bet 12 of his 15 HR's have come on offspeed pitches. But since the break he's been pulling fastballs again, I could seem him giving the Sox a good to great 2 months with his bat.

Griffey is a shell of his former self on defense, but to say he is the worst outfielder on the team is unfair. In my opinion, it is a statement that has grown out of fans' bitching about him overall, and trying to hold him to the level of play he was at in his prime. He still made countless catches on the run, diving catches, and still has a strong accurate arm. He has great instincts on where to throw and gets it done quickly.

Dunn has improved his Magellan-like routes, but he is still a lackadaisical fielder. He is fast for his size, but not quick in the slightest definition of the word. He has a lot of carry on his throws, but not a lot of velocity. Also, he has a habit of double-pumping and trying to figure out the very best place to throw the ball. Runners always challenge him, which is the result of the scouting reports on who to run on. Watch him in the field and you will see the things I am talking about. He never fields the ball with his momentum geared toward the desired target ready to throw before it gets there. He just sort of "quarterbacks" the ball to where it is going, which is apropo considering he is a former QB.

Griffey is slower than he once was (by far), and doesn't try to break his neck on every play (which is good), but he is still diving and jumping and making great catches. It is popular to hate Griffey right now because he should not be batting third, but the hate he gets on his fielding is not justified. And let's not start sucking each others' dicks because Adam Dunn doesn't fall down or drop as many routine fly balls as he used to.

They have a stat that measures range and number of catches for outfielders. Dunn is right around average to above average in left this year, Griffey was near the bottom in right. Those diving catches are rare (which I don't blame him for given his age and injuries) but those are catches a good RF makes standing.

I have seen stats that show Brandon Phillips with lower range than some others that have far less range. I'm not sure how many of you guys played years and years of baseball, but stats can lie sometimes. I went to many camps as an outfielder and have watched 90% of the Reds games this year. I know a bad outfielder when I see one, and Dunn is a worse outfielder than Griffey. What are the stats on how often Dunn stands around holding the ball wondering where to throw it to? What are the stats on how quick he turns and throws a strike to the cut off man? I don't care if they show Griffey's range as being one of the lowest in RF, the man still gets to a lot of balls others don't, and is not the albatross that people make him out to be.

Guest Cal Moriarty

Well, looks like that's pretty much it for the trade deadline, huh. Another year, another deadline, another pile of Manny Ramirez bullshit that never amounts to anything.

I have seen stats that show Brandon Phillips with lower range than some others that have far less range. I'm not sure how many of you guys played years and years of baseball, but stats can lie sometimes. I went to many camps as an outfielder and have watched 90% of the Reds games this year. I know a bad outfielder when I see one, and Dunn is a worse outfielder than Griffey. What are the stats on how often Dunn stands around holding the ball wondering where to throw it to? What are the stats on how quick he turns and throws a strike to the cut off man? I don't care if they show Griffey's range as being one of the lowest in RF, the man still gets to a lot of balls others don't, and is not the albatross that people make him out to be.

Well, I really don't want to get in a pissing match over this, so this will be my last post on Griffey's Defense, but I'm listening to 700 WLW right now. They have Chris Welsh on, who has broadcast virtually all the games this year, and he is talking about how Griffey has played prevent d all year. Meaning he plays a very deep right field because he's knows he can't go back and into the gaps, and is slow on his first step so everything falls in front of him.

As for me, I have never played outfield, but I played for UC for 3 years before leaving the team. I wasn't great or anything but it's easy to see when someone has a slow first step.

Does he give you hope that you too can be a successful black athlete?

Genius, due to your collegiate level of play, you should also notice that Dunn has a poor understanding of good defensive baseball knowledge. My argument was not whether or not Griffey had lost several steps, it was that Dunn was not a better outfielder than him. Surely you can tell that Dunn has poor fundamentals which result in erratic play?

Well, looks like that's pretty much it for the trade deadline, huh. Another year, another deadline, another pile of Manny Ramirez bullshit that never amounts to anything.

SI is saying Manny is going to the Dodgers.

D'OH!

Could be a three-teamer here with Jason Bay and prospects. I am satisfied.

EDIT: It is Jason Bay to Boston per WEEI.

Edited by KingPK