TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/28 - 8/3

Absolutely crushing loss

The bullpen needs to be blown up in the off season.

They can't continue trotting out the same guys over and over.

and as I say that Ron Darling says the exact thing in the post game

That god damn Billy Wagner.

I'm waiting for Bruiser to come in and be a smartass. Besides the 0.00 ERA he had through April, Wagner has been a complete and total disappointment this season.

I'm waiting for Bruiser to come in and be a smartass. Besides the 0.00 ERA he had through April, Wagner has been a complete and total disappointment this season.

I'm not going to defend the guy when he's regularly blowing games. You guys were crapping on him the moment he hit a bump in the road after a great start because of your existing bias against him.

I'm not going to defend the guy when he's regularly blowing games. You guys were crapping on him the moment he hit a bump in the road after a great start because of your existing bias against him.

That bump in the road was giving up 2 game tying/losing multi-run homers in 4 days and blowing another 2 run save within that same week.

After tonight I just have to ask what other closer has blown at least 6 save opportunities with a 2+ run lead this year? Wagner is never asked to get more than three outs and he hardly ever pitches in one run games, so it's not like he's being asked to do more than pitch an inning without giving up 2 runs, and he's proven that he can't get that done on a regular basis. That doesn't even reference Aaron Heilman's complete inability to not implode with a game on the line, Scott Schoenweis inexplicably having a job, and Duaner Sanchez and Joe Smith forgetting how to get people out. When your entire bullpen is the drizzling shits and Wagner can't be trusted with a 2 run lead there's really not a lot of great things to take out of the fact that Wagner's ERA looks great and he's the best of a horrible bunch.

The Twins and Tigers look like they're going to waste a perfectly good White Sox loss to the Royals.

Any clue what the reason behind Andruw Jones' steep decline so quickly? It was only a couple years ago he seemed like he'd turned a corner and taken his offensive game to a new level.

I'm not quite ready to give up on the Tigers' playoff chances yet, but it just feels like it's not their year. They started out so bad and had to expend a lot of energy just to get back to the .500 mark. They haven't been able to get more than 2-4 games above that. Hopefully Dave Dombrowski spends plenty of money on pitching in the offseason.

The Twins and Tigers look like they're going to waste a perfectly good White Sox loss to the Royals.

Any clue what the reason behind Andruw Jones' steep decline so quickly? It was only a couple years ago he seemed like he'd turned a corner and taken his offensive game to a new level.

I'm not quite ready to give up on the Tigers' playoff chances yet, but it just feels like it's not their year. They started out so bad and had to expend a lot of energy just to get back to the .500 mark. They haven't been able to get more than 2-4 games above that. Hopefully Dave Dombrowski spends plenty of money on pitching in the offseason.

In all fairness I don't see how you think the Tigers have any chance. They are in 3 place and have a losing record against both the White Sox and Twins.

NY Daily News thinks the Orioles still have a shot at the Wild Card

Could the Os be this season's Colorado/Philladelphia?

If they get the kind of starting pitching they've gotten in the past week vs teams like the Angels, Yankees and the lowly Mariners, then maybe..the starting pitching has been the only problem they've really had all year.

The O's are 9 games behind Boston and there are FIVE other teams between them. Come on now.

In all fairness I don't see how you think the Tigers have any chance. They are in 3 place and have a losing record against both the White Sox and Twins.

Well, it's not like I think they have a good chance, but there's still over 50 games left in the season. At 6.5 games back, all it takes it one good hot streak and they're right there. They start another series with the White Sox on Tuesday so I'm at least gonna see how that one plays out before I decide to pull the plug. Most people still have the Tigers in the discussion for the playoffs.

The O's are 9 games behind Boston and there are FIVE other teams between them. Come on now.

If they hadn't lost all of those Sunday games, they would be in first place.

Just when you think Marvin can't get any more delusional about the O's. Look, they're terrible. They aren't going on some huge run where they're able to leapfrog teams such as the Red Sox, Yankees, Twins, and Tigers. You know why? Because those teams don't suck like the O's do. There are only three teams in the AL who have a worse winning percentage than Baltimore does. Marvin is perhaps unfamiliar that even shitty teams go through the occasional hot streak during a six-month season.

And they have at least one series with all 5 of them. They still have 7 games with Tampa Bay (who will end up falling into the wild card lead), 6 games with Boston, 6 games with Toronto, 6 games with NY, 3 with Minnesota and 3 with Detroit. They also have 11 games vs Cleveland (8) and Oakland (3) still to play as well which should help them out a bit.

The article pointed out that Colorado had a 63-60 record on 8/20 last year. The Os are 53-56 and the 17 games between today and 8/20 the Os have 1 game with Seattle, 3 at LA, 3 with Texas at home, 4 at Cleveland, 3 at Detroit and 3 vs Boston at home. Realistically they should be able to go 10-7 over that stretch and make it back to .500. Then over the last 36 games they have 24 (+1 for the 11 inning suspended game) games at home where they have a better record.

I said earlier that the WC possibilities are far fetched, but they are positioned just like Colorado and Philadelphia were last year to make the playoffs so its not entirely out of the question. I seriously would just like to see them finish .500 this year though, which is a lot more likely to happen.

Colorado went 13-1 over their last fourteen games just to force a playoff, and it took the chased team blowing a clinching game with two strikes in the ninth to come to that. There is no "this year's Rockies." It's a one in a generation phenomenon.

What the hell is going on in the Bronx? Nady hit that homer and when the Angels had one down in the eighth, I changed the channel. I switch back and they're up by one? I would've loved to see that unfold.

Guest Cal Moriarty

HERE COME THE YANKEES!

Tweedy's doing the 7th inning stretch today. I care more about this than anything else from today's rather pedestrian game.

I missed Eddie Kunz's debut this afternoon. I see he made an error. How'd he pitch otherwise, met fans?

Unrelated: hey, grammar nerds, do z's work like s's? Is it "Eddie Kunz' debut" or is "Eddie Kunz's debut" right?