TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/28 - 8/3

"They haven't asked me for anything," Ramirez told ESPNdeportes.com's Enrique Rojas on the phone from Fenway Park before the Red Sox-Angels matchup on Wednesday night.

"The Red Sox don't deserve a player like me," Ramirez said. "During my years here I've seen how they [the Red Sox]have mistreated other great players when they didn't want them to try to turn the fans against them.

"The Red Sox did the same with guys like Nomar Garciaparra and Pedro Martinez, and now they do the same with me. Their goal is to paint me as the bad guy," Ramirez added. "I love Boston fans, but the Red Sox don't deserve me. I'm not talking about money. Mental peace has no price and I don't have peace here."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3511804

Yeah, this isn't the same old bullshit.

Why would the Marlins assume Manny's contract? This is just more inflated Boston Booyah bullshit. We're fools for discussing it.

Feel free not to.

The Angels are looking really good right now. The Yankees are making the right moves to get better and the Rays aren't going away. It's going to be really interesting to see who comes out of the American League this year.

.....I guess we are writing off any team in the central?

So Carpenter goes four innings and gives up one run. Looked pretty shaky at times, as you might expect, but I'm pretty excited about the future now. Wainwright is coming back in like a week or so too.

This could be huge:

I’m hearing that a multi-team deal involving Jason Bay and the Florida Marlins is in the “final stages.” This could involve the previously in-place dealings involving Manny Ramirez as reported by our own John Perrotto. Joe Frisaro of MLB.com thinks that Bay could end up in Boston, Jeremy Hermida in Pittsburgh, and prospects flying every which way. My sources agree, though I will update as details become clearer.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=966

It's Will Carroll, so take it with a grain of salt although it had crossed my mind that the only way the Red Sox would trade Ramirez midseason is if they were able to get a third team involved where they received a good corner outfielder in the process. Still doubt he's going anywhere.

And the Pudge Rodriguez trade makes absolutely no sense for the Tigers. Doesn't help them now, doesn't help them later, and probably cost them a draft pick as it's very possible Rodriguez would be a Type-A free agent which Farnsworth will not be.

Breaking news: Ed Wade keeps going for that championship! He just traded for LaTroy Hawkins. Seriously why haven't Astros fans killed him yet?

Jayson Stark saying that the Sox/Marlins deal is dead and Will Carroll is saying it's been sent to the commissioner for approval. Who knows.

What I do know is that the Marlins just won their series with the Mets to move 1 back of them but most likely 1.5 back of the new division leading Phillies.

What a miserable time it must be for Astros fans. They'd be a force if they had any pitching. As it is, they've got a stacked lineup with few players likely to improve over the next couple of seasons. Meanwhile, their rotation is awful, the pen is spotty, and they are trading anything they can from their farm for guys like Wolf and Hawkins.

The Brewers seem to go in the tank this time of the season every year.

I'm leaning towards this being a mere slump and not a total collapse like the last few seasons

Guest The Elements of Style
The Angels are looking really good right now. The Yankees are making the right moves to get better and the Rays aren't going away. It's going to be really interesting to see who comes out of the American League this year.
.....I guess we are writing off any team in the central?

The White Sox are streaky, the Twins have bad pitching, and the Tigers don't seem to think they're really in this race. After tonight's rout, the Twins would have to be retarded not to call up Liriano. That's how we'll know if they're serious about this thing.

The Brewers seem to go in the tank this time of the season every year.

I'm leaning towards this being a mere slump and not a total collapse like the last few seasons

Soriano's having a hot week and the Brewers are totally freezing up with RISP. I don't see a total collapse either.

I don't know how the hell the Tigers won this one, but I'll take it. That was both the best and the worst game game I've seen in awhile.

Best part is that they've got to come back at noon now lol.

What a miserable time it must be for Astros fans. They'd be a force if they had any pitching. As it is, they've got a stacked lineup with few players likely to improve over the next couple of seasons. Meanwhile, their rotation is awful, the pen is spotty, and they are trading anything they can from their farm for guys like Wolf and Hawkins.

No way! Football season is right around the corner man..we couldn't be any fuckin happier.

Guest The Elements of Style
The Tigers wouldn't have traded for a guy they perceive will shore up their shaky bullpen if they really thought they weren't in the race.

I'm sorry, I still have a lot of residual Kyle Farnsworth dislike and can never take him seriously. Trading Pudge for Farnsy is not a fair trade. Y! A! N! K! E! E! S! YES! HERE COME THE !!! YANK-EEEEES SHOUT IT OUT LOUD

No way! Football season is right around the corner man..we couldn't be any fuckin happier.

Hilarious.

And while everyone is focusing on Manny Ramirez - Ken Griffey Jr. got traded to the White Sox... pending his approval, of course.

I can't find any information on what the White Sox are giving up. Can't imagine it's much more than a bag of balls, though.

Sad day for me. Griffey is my favorite player of all time, and I loved having him on my favorite team. I put off trips to the ballpark three or four times this year due to money/job reasons, and now that I have every weekend off and plenty of money to go, he probably will no longer be there. What pains me is how a lot of Reds "fans" have shit all over Griffey this year. Granted, these are message boarders over at espn.com (seriously, check out the Reds board there, it is atrocious!), but he has been getting shit on by some fans in the stands as well.

I think there will be another trade or two for the Reds today.

I can't find any information on what the White Sox are giving up. Can't imagine it's much more than a bag of balls, though.

It should remain hidden until Griffey agrees to the deal. Otherwise if he blocks the trade, it makes things quite awkward.

I'm glad I'll be at work for the duration of the trade deadline. Trades themselves are interesting, rumors are tiresome. And there's something to be said for an event that gives a hack like Will Carroll an audience, just because people are desperate for information.

Gaby isn't considered one of the top arms in the system but he's young and will most likely make the major leagues in some capacity.

Eh. Fringe contending can have its detriments. 2009 was supposed to be the year.