TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!

New WWE Writer

HOLLYWOOD NAME JOINS WWE CREATIVE TEAM

by Mike Johnson @ 3:51 PM on 7/28/2008

In what has to be seen as a surprising addition, actor Freddie Prinze Jr. started with World Wrestling Entertainment as a member of the creative team at today's Raw/Main Event taping in Washington, DC. Prinze, a big WWE fan, was at a number of events in recent months, including Wrestlemania weekend in Orlando, Florida and had been a "celebrity" blogger on the WWE Fan Nation online service.

:blink:

Wow, you gotta be kidding me. This is like a bad April Fools joke, regarding Prinze. I would think he has better things to do, like, umm, acting?!

I don't expect anything good from this.

Maybe he'll join the Priceless Stable. He does have writing credits for his godawful sitcom and something called Mutant X. That's good enough for Vince.

This is more of a befuddling move than outright terrible one. Who know whether Prinze will be good or not or whether he'll even serve much of a role on the writing staff? The only precedent for "celebrities joining the writing staff of professional wrestling promotions" is Bob Mould's brief stint on the WCW writing staff in late '99/early '00.

And besides Freddie Prinze Jr's career isn't exactly flourishing. His sitcom flopped and his last few movies have all been direct to DVD. He's probably just following his passions now that his career has kind of tanked.

He's a wrestling fan (if memory serves he's one of those celebs often shown in the crowd when he attends events) so that's a positive. Just because he's an actor doesn't mean he can't have good ideas, you know (even though some bad ones were cited by Hawk 34). Let's reserve judgment for now...

Maybe he'll join the Priceless Stable. He does have writing credits for his godawful sitcom and something called Mutant X. That's good enough for Vince.

Granted, Freddie didn't make it past one season, but I remember that it was pretty decent and had a few funny moments.

He's a wrestling fan (if memory serves he's one of those celebs often shown in the crowd when he attends events) so that's a positive. Just because he's an actor doesn't mean he can't have good ideas, you know (even though some bad ones were cited by Hawk 34). Let's reserve judgment for now...

Him being a wrestling fan isn't positive. They don't want wrestling fans anywhere near the creative department because real wrestling fans tend to pick up gaping holes in logic and crap angles that have no business on television. I have a feeling Prinze will be finding that out soon enough. As mentioned before, Vince might use him as a show pony because of his name, but outside of that, I see very little happening.

There was an article published a week or so ago about how a Hollywood writer was hired because he had a Ph.D., although he was a big wrestling fan. The article mentioned how Pat Patterson gave him hell because he was viewed as some Hollywood guy coming in to ruin the business, and then when he mentioned to Johnny Ace about how he enjoyed his work in Japan, Stephanie gave him hell for talking like a mark.

I fully support WWE using B level actors to write their storylines. Bruce Campbell can be next.

Seriously, I can't see why this is a bad thing. Its some fresh blood at least. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But his contributions can't be much worse than the annual Vince-death angle, Maury storylines ( who is Hornswaggle's daddy?) and Edge banging every woman he lays eyes on. Iactually think he'll veer away from the crazier storylines in favour of more conventional ones. And since he's a big name (by Vince's standards anyway) they'll listen to him.

Comedian Patrice O'Neal was on the creative team at some point in 2002 or 2003. But he didn't last very long

But I am encouraged by the fact that Prinze is a long-time wrestling fan. He at least knows the business somewhat.

Comedian Patrice O'Neal was on the creative team at some point in 2002 or 2003. But he didn't last very long

But I am encouraged by the fact that Prinze is a long-time wrestling fan. He at least knows the business somewhat.

Regardless of what he knows, the majority of the people behind the scenes will see him as nothing more than a celebrity mark. I'm not trying to knock Prinze, but that's how this is going to turn out.

I think this is topic-worthy. Someone, do it.

I agree, but to save us from repeating previously discussed things, let's just wait for 909 to manually extract our posts one by one. He'll be happy to do it :)

Granted, Freddie didn't make it past one season, but I remember that it was pretty decent and had a few funny moments.

Yeah. I liked that show. It was with Brian Austin Green right?

And I actually like the move. I've seen some of his posts on wwe.com and he knows his stuff.

HOLLYWOOD NAME JOINS WWE CREATIVE TEAM

by Mike Johnson @ 3:51 PM on 7/28/2008

In what has to be seen as a surprising addition, actor Freddie Prinze Jr. started with World Wrestling Entertainment as a member of the creative team at today's Raw/Main Event taping in Washington, DC. Prinze, a big WWE fan, was at a number of events in recent months, including Wrestlemania weekend in Orlando, Florida and had been a "celebrity" blogger on the WWE Fan Nation online service

This deserves it's own thread. So here we go. It'll either be a good or bad thing, one hand he's a WWE fan so maybe he understands Pro Wrestling then again if you've seen what Steve Corino had to say when he tried out to become a writer then yeah we might be just as screwed.

So, I've checked the date and its not 1st April... what the hell?! Freddie 'Space Commander' Prinze Jr, is a writer for the WWE now? Has he ever wrote anything before? Has he started?

There is no way Prinze would be willing to put in the hours required by the writing staff. Of course Vince has a hard-on for main stream/Hollywood types so maybe Prinze will get some special treatment.

And if he does, the resentment level amongst the rest of the staff will get even higher.

So, I've checked the date and its not 1st April... what the hell?! Freddie 'Space Commander' Prinze Jr, is a writer for the WWE now? Has he ever wrote anything before? Has he started?

We covered this in the other thread but Prinze does have writing credits to his name (most notably his failed sitcom) but he does have a legitimate interest in pro wrestling, which is considered a bad thing for virtually every writer in WWE.

The only precedent for "celebrities joining the writing staff of professional wrestling promotions" is Bob Mould's brief stint on the WCW writing staff in late '99/early '00.

I didn't know about that until I read a recent Mould interview. That was just a mindfuck for me.