TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Debuts than Downfalls

So, who had great debuts in any company and then just fell FLAT afterwards. Basically their debuts were the best part in the company.

This thread begins with Steiner pretty much, because after his debut, his ringwork wasn't pretty.

Also, Goldberg can be up there, but again, he was pretty consistent in terms of being made to look bad.

Who else had a spectacular debut with a huge intial crowd pop and then as the weeks went by, the slowly faded either because they sucked, were booked bad, or looked like an idiot. That looking like an idiot part has to be doubt taken by Booker T. when he debuted in WWE.

Taz started off with a bang at the 2000 Royal Rumble, and then it quickly became clear that he wasn't going to be able to be his old ECW self.

Which is a shame since he really was a solid mid-card worker. They debuted him and then didn't they quickly pair him with Piper? I think the main problem was that they didn't keep him doing little back stage segments doing his, "But I'm not telling you something you don't already know."

He could have been a catalyst to tag team break ups, valets leaving for another wrestler, all kinds of fun shenanigans, but they debuted him and then nothing.

Which is a shame since he really was a solid mid-card worker. They debuted him and then didn't they quickly pair him with Piper? I think the main problem was that they didn't keep him doing little back stage segments doing his, "But I'm not telling you something you don't already know."

He could have been a catalyst to tag team break ups, valets leaving for another wrestler, all kinds of fun shenanigans, but they debuted him and then nothing.

I'm still bitter towards WWE for their reluctance to utilize O'Haire in that gimmick. As far as I'm concerned they still owe me for that one.

O Haire bombed with a live mic. End of push.

It was a pre-taped program.

Does The Shockmaster count since he took a literal downfall right after his debut?

Don't you mean during his debut?

Does The Shockmaster count since he took a literal downfall right after his debut?

Good point. :lol:

When he debuted it live, it was basically him telling a wrestler to run around naked, and then saying "I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Bad

Technically, he was intro'd by Sting, and a split second after that he tripped.

Hmmm. I can't think of too many guys who had an awesome debut and then went downhill, but I can think of tons of guys who had anticipated debuts and then did nothing afterwards. I would say Jericho last year was this, since everyone was hyped over the "Save Us 222" videos, but then he showed up, and cut a pretty bad promo on Orton, and then was booked badly for months, until his career got back on track from his recent heel turn.

When he debuted it live, it was basically him telling a wrestler to run around naked, and then saying "I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Bad.

You mean when he manipulated Brian Kendrick into streaking through the arena wearing only a scarf? Bad that was not!

When he debuted it live, it was basically him telling a wrestler to run around naked, and then saying "I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Bad.

You mean when he manipulated Brian Kendrick into streaking through the arena wearing only a scarf? Bad that was not!

That streak spot was hella over. It played into both men's gimmicks. Kendrick who would do anything to get a job with the company, and Sean O'Haire who is playing the Devil's Advocate. Also it was a nod to a commercial that was hot at the time, which is rare in WWE land to touch on something that's current.

They just debuted him, and then did a couple of live spots with him manipulating people, but then did nothing after that.

Can we include Carlito in this conversation? Granted the fall wasn't immediate, but this is a guy who won the US title on his debut on Smackdown and ALSO won the IC title on his Raw debut and now you hardly hear from him anymore.

Ahmed Johnson will always be the biggest disappointment, in my eyes. That dude was flowing with awesome potential.

I admit, the tempting of Kendrick could have been good, but they only did it in spots, and did not build into anything really worthwhile.

Yeah the potential was built in, they just didn't do anything with it.

You can add Vader to the list too. Wasn't his debut or bigger moments early on when he attacked Gorilla. Then he got poorly booked and the rest is history.

Sean O'Haire and Nathan Jones both prove that the WWE's production department was way way beyond Creative.

Hakushi only had a shelf life of a few months.

The Great Muta's WCW run in 2000 fizzled pretty badly too.

Pretty much everyone in the Dungeon of Doom not named Hugh Morrus or Meng. Even The Giant was kind of just there.

Berlyn - Stupid gimmick, whose debut was cribbed from WWF. Duggan sandbag sealed his fate

Ultimo Dragon (WWE) . Supposedly Vince was unfamiliar with his work and eventually was left unimpressed after weeks of vignettes. Thought they were getting another Mysterio

Highlanders - Face it, these cats suck. What were they thinking?

Glacier - Classic flop.

Kronik (WWE) - Infamous match with Taker/Kane stopped their push cold.

Taka Michinoku - Hilarously forced himself to give Taka a push in response to WCW's red hot cruiser division. But soon enough, Vince gave in to his anti-cruiser impulses.

They certainly pushed Taka as a face, but the turn and joining of Kai en Tai didn't do much for him. An endless feud with The Oddities ruined him.

As mentioned, Waylon Mercy was an awesome character, and even had a house show series with Diesel for the strap. It's too bad.

I'll probably recall Ahmed for his backstage antics more than anything else, but, bad mic work aside, he was insanely over in 96.