TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

WWE SummerSlam 2008

Edge vs. Undertaker (Hell in a Cell Match)

WWE Champion Triple H vs. The Great Khali

World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk vs. JBL

ECW Champion Mark Henry vs. Matt Hardy

John Cena vs. Batista

Montel Vontavious Porter vs. Jeff Hardy

Kofi Kingston & Women’s Champion Mickie James vs. Santino Marella & Beth Phoenix in a winner take all match

Why does WWE want to take the only two things I like about RAW at this point (I-C division, Women's division) and ruin them in one fell swoop? How can that match end in a way that doesn't either a) kill the Intercontinental Title or b) kill the Women's title, without a Dusty Finish?

The only way that can happen is for Kofi/Mickie to simply retain and thus spare us the bizarre notion of Santino as women's champ or another chick with the IC belt in the Chyna vein. Actually I could find some amusement in Santino as women's champ, but not so much Phoenix with the IC.

Edge vs. Undertaker (Hell in a Cell Match): The way this has been set up has to lead to Edge taking some sick bump like Michaels or Foley. For a variety of reasons UT obviously is going over here.

WWE Champion Triple H vs. The Great Khali: Crappy title match #1! Ah hell, I am going to shock everyone and say Khali gets the belt and is a transition champ to UT. Call that a bold prediction.

World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk vs. JBL: The entire storyline here is that Punk has no credibility according to JBL. Thus the only way it can go and be satisfying is for Punk to go over clean.

ECW Champion Mark Henry vs. Matt Hardy: This is actually pretty tough to call, but since I can't see Matt getting the belt this soon I'll say Henry retains.

John Cena vs. Batista: Toughest match to book on the show. Far too soon for it as well, since Cena and Batista both need the win. I think this will end in some sort of lame no decision in order to kick off a proper build to another PPV.

Montel Vontavious Porter vs. Jeff Hardy: Hey, it's MVP doing what he does best, namely jobbing to the Hardys. Why MVP keeps running in on Jeff's US title matches with Shelton I have no idea, since he could be going for a belt here if he had simply let Jeff win the match.

Kofi Kingston & Women’s Champion Mickie James vs. Santino Marella & Beth Phoenix in a winner take all match: Well, there almost has to be a title change here. I don't really want it that bad since Kofi is at least fun in the IC role. They could just have the champs retain, or they could have Santino as IC, Beth as women's champ. But why do I feel they'll do the Russo inspired foolishness of Santino as women, Beth as IC?

Cogeco sent me TWO postcards telling me to order this show (and reminding me that September is Forever Flair month in WWE 24/7). One I can ignore, but TWO? It would be downright rude to not order the show now.

I absolutely agree that we're getting Santino as Women's Champion out of this PPV. It's the only reason why they have this "Adamle Original" set-up.

I also agree that Edge is taking a Foley bump. I could even see Foley getting involved in the match as his write-off, not taking a big bump, but possibly trying to stop one, or catching Edge as part of one.

I think Cena/Batista is going to be a non-finish. Maybe Orton gets involved in a "Did you guys forget about me?" sort of way. Last I read was that the facts surrounding the motorcycle accident were murky at best.

John Cena vs. Batista: Toughest match to book on the show. Far too soon for it as well, since Cena and Batista both need the win. I think this will end in some sort of lame no decision in order to kick off a proper build to another PPV.

I suspect this is the match that Randy Orton makes his return in. Yes I'm a guy that thinks they are trying to fool the fans into thinking Orton is injured.

The only way that can happen is for Kofi/Mickie to simply retain and thus spare us the bizarre notion of Santino as women's champ or another chick with the IC belt in the Chyna vein. Actually I could find some amusement in Santino as women's champ, but not so much Phoenix with the IC.

But, if it's winner take all, wouldn't either Kofi or Mickie retaining mean that they would also win the other's title?

And, regarding your other comment, I fall on the other side of that point of view: as someone who likes the women's division and didn't hate Chyna's run as IC champion, I'd be bothered either way, but I'd be far more bothered by Santino winning the women's title than I would be by Beth winning the IC title.

Besides, you know that if Santino wins, it's just going to lead to Beth beating him for both belts, anyway... :ph34r:

I thought it was simply if Kofi and Mickie won, they kept their belts, if Santino/Beth won, Santino would be IC champ and Beth the Women's champ? Or am I wrong?

As the sense I get is "winner" means the "winning tag team", not the "single person who wins the fall wins all the belts" idea.

I thought it was simply if Kofi and Mickie won, they kept their belts, if Santino/Beth won, Santino would be IC champ and Beth the Women's champ? Or am I wrong?

You're right, but Santino is likely to claim the Womens title when he and Beth win the match.

As the sense I get is "winner" means the "winning tag team", not the "single person who wins the fall wins all the belts" idea.

The winning tag team gets both belts but the WWE preview doesn't specify that Beth is going for the Women's belt and Santino the IC belt. Yes, that's worrisome.

Edge vs. Undertaker (Hell in a Cell Match)

Undertaker wins here. And I don't see Edge taking a 'Mick Foley bump'. WWE have gone away from that sort of thing for a long time now, and even if they were to go back to it, I don't see them doing so with someone who is both a franchise player and a little injury prone.

WWE Champion Triple H vs. The Great Khali

Triple H wins, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a DQ win. Smackdown has a dearth of people they can headline with, so I think they'll use the fact the HIAC is going last to go with a non-finish here and extend the program a little more.

World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk vs. JBL

CM Punk retains, but it'll be another finish where he pulls the win out of nowhere, rather than the more decisive major win he really needs.

ECW Champion Mark Henry vs. Matt Hardy

Henry retains here, but they'll keep the program going because there isn't really anyone else on ECW who can 'main event'

John Cena vs. Batista

I don't see a finish here, and if they have one, no matter who is involved, it'll be even more stupid than having the match take place this quickly with so little build. I think we'll see the match start out clean and then tempers will flare and it'll become a total brawl. The match will wind up in a double disqualification but eventually both guys will calm down and we might even see a show of mutual respect. I think it's clear Batista is turning heel at some point, but I don't think it's now. I think we'll see it a little later in the year, maybe in time for both men to captain opposing teams at Survivor Series.

Montel Vontavious Porter vs. Jeff Hardy

MVP seems to be the whipping boy of the Matt Hardy, and it'll probably be no different here.

Kofi Kingston & Women’s Champion Mickie James vs. Santino Marella & Beth Phoenix in a winner take all match

Don't care.

Why does WWE want to take the only two things I like about RAW at this point (I-C division, Women's division) and ruin them in one fell swoop? How can that match end in a way that doesn't either a) kill the Intercontinental Title or b) kill the Women's title, without a Dusty Finish?

I thought it was obvious that if Santino and Beth wins, he gets the I-C title and she gets women's title

Even though its probably a 90% chance that Edge won't take a horrible bump, this PPV really needs it. There needs to finally be another really violent Hell in a Cell match, and this is the perfect time to do it, now that Edge has become a psychopath. The card on the PPV is really bad besides this match and Cena/Batista (though, the match will suck), so it needs Edge taking a brutal bump to save it.

I think this actually looks like the best overall Summerslam since 2002. Really, the only match I don't have any interest in is the IC/Women's title match. I would be ordering, but I'm currently saving my money for moving. And, last I checked, Comcast isn't offering HD PPVs yet. The two PPVs I have ordered post-HD (Rumble & WM) have had really shitty picture quality, so it's hardly worth the money. I'll just watch a stream.

Predictions:

HHH over Khali

Punk over JBL

Henry over Matt

Jeff over MVP

Taker over Edge

Batista over Cena

Kofi & Mickie over Beth & Santino

The chance of a no contest in Cena/Batista is probably greater than a winner, but I just see Batista getting the win by going full blown heel, cheating behind the referee's back or whatever.

I'm picking Kofi & Mickie to retain, but if Beth & Santino do win, I bet it'll be when Santino pins Mickie. Then Santino & Beth celebrate with their respective titles, only for Adamle to come out and say that Santino gets the women's title since he pinned Mickie, and Beth gets the IC title. God I hope Kofi & Mickie retain so I don't have to possibly endure Santino's "hilarious" antics as women's champion.

Edit: I'm almost kind of sad. This is the first Summerslam I won't be ordering since 1996. :(

The card looks pretty bland, I'm not excited for this PPV at all. I just hope its better than last year's shitfest.

Predictions:

HHH - Hopefully, he'll do us all a favor, squash Khali in 5 minutes, nailing him with the sledgehammer and then finishing this suckass feud once and for all with the Pedigree.

Undertaker - Duh.

Punk - with GTS on JBL for the win.

Cena - Batista defeated him to win the 2005 Royal Rumble and has a pinfall win over him from the NWO 2007 rematch on RAW right before WM 23. Cena also took the pinfall on the last RAW to lose the tag titles. I say Cena wins with the STFU.

Tag Match - Beth and Santino as your new champs.

Jeff Hardy - Swanton Bomb for the win.

ECW Match - Piss break.

As for Michaels, he says its not over and we get ANOTHER match with him and Jericho at Unforgiven in a Street Fight or something.

In regards to the mixed tag, I wish we could get a mix of both here. I haven't cared at all for Mickie James' latest title run, so put the belt back on Beth. That said, I think it's lame for Kingston to lose the IC title in a goofy stipulation mixed tag when he's been getting over thus far on Raw. Especially when it comes to either losing to a chick or a comedy act.

More than most HIAC matches this one really seems to be set up for some horrific spot. Given Edge's psycho behavior, the mentions of Foley's past antics and Edge beating him up, the whole "descent into hell" aspect of it....all of it has to lead to Edge taking a vicious bump. Like HBK in the first one, not the UT/Mankind type deal.

If you want to go by what the storyline is building to, Edge would take the bump but take Taker with him during the bump. Which isn't going to happen. Therefore the people saying there won't be a killer bump would probably be correct.

If you want to go by what the storyline is building to, Edge would take the bump but take Taker with him during the bump. Which isn't going to happen. Therefore the people saying there won't be a killer bump would probably be correct.

Taker took a pretty huge bump in the TLC retirement match.

I think Beth is going to pin Mickie, Santino is going to rush around and celebrate and crap, and then tomorrow both former champs will get rematches. Beth will pin Mickie again (with Santino's help), but when the moment comes for Beth to help Santino she will be distracted somehow and Kofi will win the IC title back.

Am I the only one who thinks that Summerslam has been shit the past few years? Hell, the 2004 show was one of the worst PPV's ever, and I really think the 2002 show is overrated. Besides HHH/Michaels there isn't anything on that show I like watching.

Am I the only one who thinks that Summerslam has been shit the past few years? Hell, the 2004 show was one of the worst PPV's ever, and I really think the 2002 show is overrated. Besides HHH/Michaels there isn't anything on that show I like watching.

Summerslam 2004 was pretty good in my opinion, but I suppose that was because I absolutely loved the main event between Randy Orton and Chris Benoit.

Shame actually, as that was a great, great match in my eyes.

I think that HHH/Michaels match is overrated. I don't remember what else is on that show...wasn't that Rock/Brock? That was really fun.

Rey/Angle, an underrated match with Test/Taker, RVD/Benoit, Bookerdust/Un-Americans, Edge/Eddie, Flair/Jericho, it was a fucking awesome PPV. Problay one of my favorites of all time.