TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 8/28 - 9/1

Guest Smues

Glad to see Hawaii get stomped in week 1 this year, hopefully killing them off early.

Hawaii wasn't going anywhere this year anyways as they were picked to finish 4th in the WAC.

And another epic fail by the Waanstache. There goes any job security he earned from the West Virginia win.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Late to the party, but hooray to the VT upset! I saw a bit in passing earlier while I was out, and Tech was up comfortably. Pity I missed the game, but the thing I like about college ball is that I'll see plenty more like it, and better.

Pitt was TERRIBLE in the second half. Just terrible. They read off their possession in the half just now: Punt, Punt, Turnover (that would have been a TD had they not blown the whistle incorrectly), Tunover, Turnover on downs, Turnover.

Yeesh.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Weird watching Michigan run an offense like this. They also got lucky as hell twice on that drive. Bastards.

I wasn't buying the Pitt hype but at the same time I wasn't expecting them to go out and lay an egg in the first week.

Pretty solid opening game for Florida. Good to see that they showed that even without Harvin and Spikes they still have a nice stable of playmakers on both sides of the ball.

Big boo to the VT upset, as I've become a VT fan by proxy due to Mrs Slayer and her family, and I'm sure I'll hear about this when she finishes watching the DVR (as we were out earlier)

Who's that Troy Palmolive lookalike for Utah?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Is it me or is that Michigan kicker a big dude?

Whoa. Would've been good from 55 or so. That's some leg.

Guest Vitamin X

That's K.C. Lopata, he's 6'2", 233 lbs. Maybe big for a kicker, but not huge.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm skeptical as to how well this gimmicky spread bullshit is going to work in the Big Ten..

Fact is Michigan just doesn't have the personnel to run the spread right now. They are very lucky this game hasn't gotten out of hand (yet) as this has been total domination by the Utes.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Good point with the personnel. Even then..man, I don't know. Big Ten ball seems predicated on pro-style play with college kids.

Edit: that better not be fuckin' grounding. HE WAS OUTSIDE OF THE GODDAMN POCKET!

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Didn't make the LOS..never mind. Indignation quelled.

Pooch punt!

I was baffled as to why Pitt was even ranked. It had to be some sort of residual from the WVU game last year. There's always some amount of hype over Pitt's recruits, and then of course Wannstedt screws it up.

Virginia ran so much shotgun that my high school teammate didn't get much time, despite starting at defensive tackle. Poo on that.

Great win, btw.

Bobby Reid and Texas Southern are playing on ESPNU at 10:30 PM ET for those interested (and who get the channel). They're going up against Prarie View A&M. I also admit that I'm a huge, huge fan of ESPNU showing more FCS games this year too (Saw an ad for a game featuring Delaware State for next Thursday).

Score of Note: Western Illinois leading Arkansas 3-0 with 12:50 in the 2nd. Gotta salvage pride somehow.

Where was this USC offense last season? They were clicking on all cyclinders. I don't know what the game was more indicative of, that the USC offense is here or that the UVA defense is not.

Both. Gotta take into account that the USC receivers who dropped so many passes last year picked up that extra year of experience. Tight end may be an offensive weakness, otherwise, there aren't any. This team is ready to win it all.

I missed the Utah vs Michigan game, but I found a RollBamaRoll post board while searching it out, some of the comments on it are hilarious.

im just not a fan of them being called the Utes…

There are some that are not ok

But, like the Chippewa with CMU and the (largely tribal) UNC-Pembroke Indians, the Utes have been endorsed by the Ute tribe. Quite unlike the exterminated Illini or the ND Fightin’ Sioux.

shit

man i didn’t even know they were a indian tribe….hell i feel really stupid right now. Usuallly i know about this stuff. I thought Utes was just short for Utah…...damn im an idiot. I will crawl back into my hole they call ignorance!!

Made my day just reading some fan in Alabama's critique of Ute Football.

Michigan needs a QB bad...of course Pryor could've came in and started right away but whatever. I'm actually more disappointed that the defense gave up as much as it did considering they had a decent amount of experience on that side of the ball (although they did play very well in the 2nd half). Michigan's offense is definitely gonna be a work in progress this season (their RB's and WR's look promising at least).

Bobby Reid and Texas Southern are playing on ESPNU at 10:30 PM ET for those interested (and who get the channel). They're going up against Prarie View A&M. I also admit that I'm a huge, huge fan of ESPNU showing more FCS games this year too (Saw an ad for a game featuring Delaware State for next Thursday).

Score of Note: Western Illinois leading Arkansas 3-0 with 12:50 in the 2nd. Gotta salvage pride somehow.

The TSU / PV game is more than likely being shown since its the annual Labor Day Classic and that's a pretty big game for the two of 'em and sort of a tradition here in Houston.

If I had the money I was going to get tickets..but like most fans, probably leave after half-time since most people only go to see the bands and all that..