TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BruteSquad_BRODY

UFC 91: Couture vs Lesnar

This pretty much confirmed that the HW division is a joke. Am I really supposed to buy Brock's strategy of cutting to 265 at every weigh in and then getting huge in the time between that and the show?

He gained 11 pounds. Thats like 2 gallons of water. or a few good sized meals. What's there to "buy"?

Don't know if it belongs in here, but I figured I'd post it and there can be some discussion:

Critics have noted that many of the fights on the UFC pay-per-view ended in the first round, leaving UFC producers scrambling to fill the three-hour event with content. The dearth of hearty competition left many viewers to watch less prestigious under-card fights and only served to bolster claims that UFC pay-per-view events can often be a "crap shoot" in regards to filling the full three hours.

Its from a WWE released press statement about Brock's win.

Honestly, I think its a bit of a petty move on their part. From what I caught on the stream, I enjoyed whether it was supposed "under-card" matches or main-card bouts.

That and I guess Dana was right when on MMA Weekly he claimed that Vince might just order the show.. (granted, I doubt he did but I'm sure Shane and his love of MMA or some others within the WWE brass ordered the fight".

This pretty much confirmed that the HW division is a joke. Am I really supposed to buy Brock's strategy of cutting to 265 at every weigh in and then getting huge in the time between that and the show?

Your point makes no sense whatsoever. Every single fighter in every single division (aside from maybe LW since some of them may be Featherweight sized people) cut down from higher weights to fight in that weight class.

Anderson Silva is a natural 205 or HIGHER fighter. He cuts down to 185.

Chuck Liddell? Way over the 205 limit.

Brock Lesnar's cut is nothing compared to Thiago Silva's who admitted when he fought Josh Koscheck at *170* that he was about 190+.

Brock's doing nothing that anyone else isn't doing. Period.

Big Bill Bob Says: (from Fight Opinion.com)

Well I gotta say the past three numbered UFC events have been garbage. I seriously hope Affliction sorts their shit and provides a suitable substitute to fans like myself (none of the UFC lifers here) who are sick of this terrible product they are shoving down my throat.

I remember saying MMA should gravitate towards a boxing model and it’s absolutely wrong for UFC. They need to get back on this wrestling wagon and start packing these shitty cards with real superstars. Affliction needs to continue pushing the boxing version of fighter vs fighter. Because tonight for UFC was epic fail (and 89 and 90). I hope it has less then 200k buys especially since there was an FTA pirate satellite fix for all the potential buyers that could have been forced into purchasing this terrible card just before it started.

Fuck you UFC for wasting my night. (I had fuck all to do anyway, not like someone like me has friends)

-------

November 15th, 2008 at 10:17 pm Big Bill Bob Says:

Ya I bet you enjoyed this event lol. UFC can do no wrong in your eyes. Glad you enjoyed this glorified fight night and hope you paid for it. I know I didn’t.

Maybe next months UFC is worth money, or next Affliction, but not this stinker. They didn’t show every fight because of early finishes, they wanted to make sure people didn’t get gypped and pissed (all low class bum fighters imo).

-------

*slaps head*

Oh, you mean like every other weight class ever?

Thiago Alves weighs as much as I do (about 210) and fights at 170. Give me a break.

Critics have noted that many of the fights on the UFC pay-per-view ended in the first round, leaving UFC producers scrambling to fill the three-hour event with content. The dearth of hearty competition left many viewers to watch less prestigious under-card fights and only served to bolster claims that UFC pay-per-view events can often be a "crap shoot" in regards to filling the full three hours.

04.jpg

COMPETITION~!

I do think that the UFC does have a roster capable of making better cards month in and month out, as far as the Main Card from top to bottom, but the problem is when you are dealing with legit competition, things happen like injuries during training that cause cards to change.

Also, it's not like a WWE PPV is full of Main Event quality matches, so what exactly was their gripe again?

I do kind of wish though that the UFC would just air the entire show on PPV including the prelims, because in my situation it helps. Having people over, they often like to take a break between fights to smoke or get a drink or go bullshit outside for a little bit, and lately it seems that the PPVs are getting a much faster pace to them then they used to.

The card would be too long if they aired all of the fights. You'd probably be burnt out by the main event, and the extra cost to put on the longer show would tack on to the ppv price

Your point makes no sense whatsoever. Every single fighter in every single division (aside from maybe LW since some of them may be Featherweight sized people) cut down from higher weights to fight in that weight class.

Not quite. With the huge weight range for the HW division, most of the fighters in it don't cut weight (Brock is one of the few who does). Nothing wrong with it, but just saying.

Brock Lesnar's cut is nothing compared to Thiago Silva's who admitted when he fought Josh Koscheck at *170* that he was about 190+.

When did Thiago Silva fight Koscheck? I thought he fought at 205... LOL.

When did Thiago Silva fight Koscheck? I thought he fought at 205... LOL.

This is what happens when you have fighters with the same first name. Thiago Alves obviously.

And Lei, if you want to say that the HW division is broken due to the weight system, I'd actually agree, but it would not stop people from cutting 20+ pounds, then bulking up the day of the fight. It just wouldn't. You'd have 250+'ers trying to cut to 220 or whatever that proposed weight class was. And then bulking way back up so that you'd force the natural 220 fighters down to 205. Just like it's happening right now.

The only way you could fix this system is make it so fighters are weighed in the day of the fight. Then you'd have people fighting at their natural weights and not whatever it is they can starve and dehydrate themselves down to.

I've never gotten why they don't do that anyway. It makes more sense to me. This weight cutting business is getting out of hand, and it will eventually lead to problems for some of these guys. It can't POSSIBLY be healthy to cut what someone like Alves does and then bulk back up to it in a day.

Can anyone explain to me this whole interim champion stuff? I know Lesnar fights the (other?) UFC champ at 92 to be undisputed, but why is there two heavyweight champions at once in the first place?

The full paydays from UFC 91 included:

Brock Lesnar: $450,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus)

def. Randy Couture: $250,000

Kenny Florian: $80,000 ($40,000 win bonus)

def. Joe Stevenson: $35,000

Dustin Hazelett: $28,000 ($14,000 win bonus)

def. Tamdan McCrory: $10,000

Gabriel Gonzaga: $110,000 ($55,000 win bonus)

def. Josh Hendricks: $8,000

Demian Maia: $40,000 ($20,000 win bonus)

def. Nate Quarry: $25,000

Aaron Riley: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus)

def. Jorge Gurgel: $10,000

Jeremy Stephens: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)

def. Rafael dos Anjos: $4,000

Mark Bocek: $18,000 ($9,000 win bonus)

def. Alvin Robinson: $7,000

Matt Brown $16,000 ($8,00O win bonus)

def. Ryan Thomas: $3,000

They also do not include UFC "fight night" awards issued after each event. For UFC 91, those awards amounted to $60,000 each. Jeremy Stephens earned the Knockout of the Night bonus, Hazelett picked up the Submission of the Night award, and a lightweight bout between Aaron Riley and Jorge Gurgel netted each competitor a Fight of the Night bonus.

I post at Sherdog, but I try to stay outta the asshole threads

I watched that fight atleast 30+ plus times and when brock thrown that lil flurry of his, not ONE of those fuckin punches landed or grazed randy and randy falls back with rogans dumbass claiming that his was rocked. Followed up by some very quick but weak hammer fist from someone that's quote "oh so strong".

I think that the fight was a dive because it looked like a total joke at the end.

30+ times? Really dude? Guy's saying he's spent 3+ hours watching that fight. Get a life...which I just replied the same there

Just look at Randy's face in the post fight! You can't even argue after that. It looks like he's been in a car accident.