TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

TSM QUESTIONS YOUR LOYALTY

I've always been terrible with switching allegiances in basketball and baseball, much like the players. As a little kid, I really liked the Lakers being from L.A. and my dad's boss being a huge Laker fan and talking sports with me (my dad is a tremendous engineering/sci-fi dork and hated sports so I always got my fix from other people).. so that kind of stuck with me but in 2000-2002, I got ridiculously sick of the Lakers and Lakermania and assholes with little yellow flags on their cars on the freeway enough to where I considered myself a Blazers/Kings fan. For some reason when I left L.A. in 04, I kind of got attached to them again (thus my early fandom here on TSM) since I felt more a connection there than anywhere else.. of course moving here to Portland I then said fuck L.A. and am now 100% a Blazer fan.. and I'll probably stay that way as long as I feel a connection to the city and the team.

Now Green Bay I can't even talk about civil pride since I've never been to the upper Midwest in my whole life, but something about there strikes a chord with me- the beer, brats, and cheese culture, the obsessive fandom and pride, the concept of it being a community-owned team and one of the most incredible traditions in sports... I always liked that and constant television exposure in the 90's, especially since there was no NFL team in L.A., was pretty instrumental in that as well. The Rockies I just got into because they were my first little league team, and they were an expansion team and for some reason I wanted to move to Colorado when I was younger- also explains my Avalanche love, although now I just don't really care.

I stated to like the Cowboys in the mid-90's when they were winning Superbowls, but I still cheered for the Jets/Giants (being from NJ). Today, I don't hate the Cowboys, but they're not one of my favorites anymore.

My cousin jumped on the Bulls bandwagon in the 90's and is now a self-proclaimed "die-hard" Celtics fan. But he also kind of likes the Cavs. And the Heat.

Like I mentioned before there will be players I like on other teams, but it's more like that in basketball than any other.

Barron Davis

Chris Paul

Shane Battier

LeBron James

Chris Bosh

Yao Ming

Brandon Roy

Sebastian Telfair

and especially Petteri Koponen when he finally makes his way into the NBA.

For the Braves love, I've been resigned to the fact that it's ending when both Chipper and Bobby Cox retire. At some point in the last five years, I had realized I had stopped caring about the team as a whole and rooted for individual players. I still have fond memories of Justice, Gallaraga, McGriff, Pendleton, Gant, Chipper, Andruw and the Big 3. I can remember where I was when ESPN announced they had traded for Denny Neagle, for fuck's sake. I never had a "second" team" to cheer for, besides liking the West Coast teams by proximity, so that's one out the window.

I picked up the Bulls during their first title against the Lakers, and never left it. I'll be as die-hard as it gets. No second team, either.

The only team because of proximity, the 49ers. In the early 90's, it was the cool thing to cheer for the Raiders, for obvious reasons. Chose the Niners because of Montana and Rice, same deal as the Bulls.

In the end, it will be the Bulls, 49ers and UH Warriors in all sports. Sure, I was a frontrunner as a kid, but I've stuck with the Bulls and Niners during the bad years, which isn't easy to do in a state when you can jump from team to team each year with no ridicule.

For the Braves love, I've been resigned to the fact that it's ending when both Chipper and Bobby Cox retire. At some point in the last five years, I had realized I had stopped caring about the team as a whole and rooted for individual players. I still have fond memories of Justice, Gallaraga, McGriff, Pendleton, Gant, Chipper, Andruw and the Big 3. I can remember where I was when ESPN announced they had traded for Denny Neagle, for fuck's sake. I never had a "second" team" to cheer for, besides liking the West Coast teams by proximity, so that's one out the window.

That's deploreable. So you only liked the Braves when they have good players? They have a bunch of players to still root for like McCann, Escobar, Franceour, Jurggens, etc

Even though the Braves haven't been great the past few years, I'm still a huge fan. In fact, the only reason my fandom has waned at all is because they're not on TBS anymore, and I don't have MLB Extra Innings

Ah, South Florida sports fans.

We were raised in Massachusetts.

Still, I imagine the sporting culture- or lack thereof- down there's probably gotten to him, especially if he's younger. Kids can never seem to make up their damn minds when it comes to sports teams.

That's deploreable. So you only liked the Braves when they have good players? They have a bunch of players to still root for like McCann, Escobar, Franceour, Jurggens, etc

Even though the Braves haven't been great the past few years, I'm still a huge fan. In fact, the only reason my fandom has waned at all is because they're not on TBS anymore, and I don't have MLB Extra Innings

1. I have no attachment to any of the new crop of players that you mentioned, as promising as 3 of those 4 are.

2. I loved the average players on previous Braves team. Lemke, Blauser, Bream, Nixon, Rocker, Wohlers, Ligtenberg, Graffaniino, Belliard, Jordan. I could go on with roleplayers for days. In the previous post, I forgot about Klesko, Dye, Deion, the one year of Lofton. That's not the point of why I stopped caring about the current Braves team.

3. My apathy toward the Braves started with TBS cutting ties with them. Turner is the reason they have a fanbase from all over the country.

The one year of Lofton? He should be shot in the face. That's the worst trade Scheurholz ever made, and it's the one I can never forgive him for. You trade the guy who hit the game winning HR and the guy who caught the last out in the one WS you won? That's just bad karma.

The TBS thing sucks, but there's so many ways to follow them, that it's not a valid excuse for dropping them.