TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

TSM QUESTIONS YOUR LOYALTY

But yeah... on that two teams thing. Most of the time I have my team that I like growing up to watch... in this case I'll go with the Chargers. Like, I'll be raised on them and shit. Then my father would usually end up going to a game or the sports bar for a team I didn't care for (Raiders and Rams) and I'd watch some team come in and stomp the shit outta of them. Like the Eagles when they stomped the shit outta of the Raiders back in '92. I was four when I saw that, yet I can remember Jim McMahon hooking up with Barnett for like a 50 yard touchdown. Plus they had Randall Cunningham, so it was easy to like that as a kid.

Like for baseball, I like the Angels. They were my first team, but I just fucking love the Rockies, so many memories of my father taking me to Dodger games and just watching Andres Galarraga, Castilla, BITCH-ETTE~!, Larry Walker, Burks... man, great times. That's the only time a second team has come along and became my new #1.

Basketball, I like the Clippers and Rockets... but I mainly care more about the players, so I'll have a mild interest in about 4 or 5 other teams at the time.

But I also have a respect for those sports and the history of it and I tend to enjoy the old great teams.

Yeah

For me I go with the Jazz obviously since it's the only pro-sport in the region.

For NFL I chose the Niners at an early age because they had Steve Young who owned the Dairy Queen near my house and he signed a banner for me at the tender age of 7. As I grew older, I chose the Steelers out of the AFC to cheer for just because they are a gritty team and I dug the logo.

Baseball I'm basically neutral towards, but again for some random reason at a young age I chose the Cardinals so when they do well I'm happy, but I don't follow them hardly at all.

Wow, that White Sox Fever sure strikes real fast

What are you talking about? I've supported them for the 14 years I've been watching baseball. Just because I was pessimistic about their chances this September, it doesn't make me any less of a fan.

Wow, that White Sox Fever sure strikes real fast

What are you talking about? I've supported them for the 14 years I've been watching baseball. Just because I was pessimistic about their chances this September, it doesn't make me any less of a fan.

Matt, you gave up on them after the Tigers scored a run, come on now. I'm not here to pick on you, but you did have a poor showing around here, and I would know. I'm no stranger to that.

I can understand why people don't like Ozzie. He is a very abrasive personality who will throw people under the bus if it means saving his own ass. But hey, look it, the Sox are better with him than without. So I put up with his antics.

And Matt, I was just as pessimistic about the Sox this year, because they haven't looked that convincing as contenders, but I did not once proclaim the season to be over after Tigers scored a run. Matt, in fact, I see you're a Dodgers fan as well. They are a lot worse than the White Sox, and yet I don't hear a peep out of you about them. Why don't you root for them full-time? They apparently instill more confidence in you than the White Sox does.

As Greg Helms would say, "JUST SAYIN'!"

I actually agree with Porter (my god). I don't know how anyone can really back two teams in the same sport. Maybe you've got your favorite and another team in the other league you don't mind seeing do well. But certainly not two teams you actually get passionate about.

Yeah, when I first came to San Diego, and I was applying for an apartment in the area, the first thing my prospective landlord asked me upon learning I was from Chicago was this: "Oh you like the Cubs? Been to Wrigley Field?"

That said, at this point, I'm playing a slight gimmick here with the Cubs hater shtick. I wouldn't jump off the cliff if the Cubs won it all. In fact, you know what, I'd pat them on the back and say, "Finally. Now shut the fuck up." So there ya go, the REAL opinion of mine. I won't want to see them there, but I won't actually mind if they did make it there. I'm not Czech here or anything like that.

And Matt, I was just as pessimistic about the Sox this year, because they haven't looked that convincing as contenders, but I did not once proclaim the season to be over after Tigers scored a run. Matt, in fact, I see you're a Dodgers fan as well. They are a lot worse than the White Sox, and yet I don't hear a peep out of you about them. Why don't you root for them full-time? They apparently instill more confidence in you than the White Sox does.

I remember Matt coming out and being all celebratory when the South Siders won in '05 and then, unlike you being here regularly taking your lumps during 06 and 07, decided to show back up about, oh, last week or so

Not to mention that I also remember Matt declaring fandom for the Cubs at a couple different points in the past, so it looks like Matt has a 37.5% chance of being happy this year!

I remember Matt coming out and being all celebratory when the South Siders won in '05 and then, unlike you being here regularly taking your lumps during 06 and 07, decided to show back up about, oh, last week or so

I thought that was the case, but I refused to look through years of Matt Young posts to confirm.

GRAND SLAM!!!

4-2 Dodgers!

GO WHITE SOX DODGERS!!

I've said it a thousand times, and I know you're not a dumbass like some others who have questioned it- I'm a lifelong White Sox fan, and the Dodgers are my second favorite MLB team/favorite National League team. If the 2 teams played each other, I'd support the Sox all the way. I don't know why people make it a point to give me such a hard time about it here.

Because you have like 10 different teams in your sig, most traditional powerhouses. And because the whole idea of having a "Second favorite team" is so ridiculous to comprehend for most die-hard sports fans.

Away from the Red Sox, I root for a good game. I don't play the "well the Red Sox are my favorite team, but I also kind of like the Cardinals" nonsense.

Add to the fact, I don't recall Matt ever really talking about the Dodgers at any detail this season. The only Dodger fan of note that I recall is 909 (I think there may be someone else. Darthtiki maybe) I have nothing against you Matt, but it is pretty lame that you come in the thread and exclaim GRAND SLAM DODGERS as if you were some die hard. I could really care less, but you have to acknowledge that it rubs people the wrong way. I'm a Dodger fan as well, but I'm not going to rub it in people's face, especially since I never particpate in any baseball discussion here. It makes you look like a bandwagon jumper (and we have enough of those in SoCal as it is).

You could make the argument that Matt is cheering against the Cubs being that he's a White Sox fan... except that he used to have a Cubs flag in his sig, too.

But anyway, I think we can put the Matt Young bashing in this thread to rest now.

It's probably cause you're never around till...your favorite team(s) makes the playoffs.

The White Sox haven't even played a playoff game yet. I post in NFL threads, and we're only 4 games in. The Bulls have made the playoffs twice in the last decade. The Kings... psh.

As I explained to Barron, I grew up in Illinois and I now live in Southern California. The teams I support are in those 2 areas. The Lakers, I started following when Magic unretired in the mid-90's. The Dodgers, I started following when they acquired my former schoolmate, Jayson Werth.

Because you have like 10 different teams in your sig, most traditional powerhouses. And because the whole idea of having a "Second favorite team" is so ridiculous to comprehend for most die-hard sports fans.

Almost every sports fan I've known in my lifetime has a second favorite team.

Especially Lakers and Bulls. What's that all about?

Already explained. They're in different conferences, so what's the big deal?

Add to the fact, I don't recall Matt ever really talking about the Dodgers at any detail this season. The only Dodger fan of note that I recall is 909 (I think there may be someone else. Darthtiki maybe) I have nothing against you Matt, but it is pretty lame that you come in the thread and exclaim GRAND SLAM DODGERS as if you were some die hard. I could really care less, but you have to acknowledge that it rubs people the wrong way. I'm a Dodger fan as well, but I'm not going to rub it in people's face, especially since I never particpate in any baseball discussion here. It makes you look like a bandwagon jumper (and we have enough of those in SoCal as it is).

Fair enough. But I've had the Dodger flag in my sig for years, and the Dodgers avatar since before the season (changed my avatar a few times). But I never claimed to be a "diehard" Dodgers fan. I am not. But for Dodgers games, as well as games of other teams I support, I almost never post during regular season games, and I post sporadically in the sports forum as a whole, for one big reason: Like the music folder (and I love music more than sport), this forum is full of elitists and honestly, a lot of the time it's not fun to discuss stuff with people here. The assholes in this forum ruin my enjoyment of the games, and I know many others feel that way.

You can't be a Bulls and Lakers fan. They play in different conferences, but this isn't like baseball or football where they don't meet.

At the same time being a Bulls and Lakers fan is like being a Cowboys and Pats fan.

Who makes these asinine rules? Name 1 reason I can't be a Bulls fan first and Lakers fan second.

Yea, you can't be a Lakers and Bulls fan, Matt. Sorry, not allowed.

Weren't you also a Cubs fan too?

If you want to be a prick about it, Bob, actual sportswriters, and not wannabes like you who get their jollies making up "rules" regarding fandom on a fucking internet message board, claim that Rule #1 is to support your home team. So you're disqualified from passing judgment from the start.

Who makes these asinine rules? Name 1 reason I can't be a Bulls fan first and Lakers fan second.

Because they were rivals in the late 80s-early 90s and met in the 1991 NBA Finals.

If you want to be a prick about it, Bob

I wasn't being a prick, I was just asking about your Cubs fandom.

actual sportswriters, and not wannabes like you who get their jollies making up "rules" regarding fandom on a fucking internet message board

I don't know what an actual sportswriter is, but I do cover high school sports for my job.

I'll defend Matt here.

Honestly, who gives a shit about what sports teams Matt Young likes. It's not hurting anyone, it doesn't affect any of your lives what so ever. Let him like the fucking Lakers and Bulls, doesn't make a difference in my life, or any of yours. Its just fucking sports, entertainment really.

It's bringing the quality of the sports folder down. If we let him have the Bulls and Lakers, what's stopping a Cowboy fan from Dallas, moving over to Boston and start rooting for the Pats as well? Do you want to send that message? I don't.

It's bringing the quality of the sports folder down. If we let him have the Bulls and Lakers, what's stopping a Cowboy fan from Dallas, moving over to Boston and start rooting for the Pats as well? Do you want to send that message? I don't.

I think it's silly what Matt Young is doing, but let's not act like such an act will send TSM crashing down to a pile of rubble.