TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

TSM QUESTIONS YOUR LOYALTY

Well to be fair, Matt is from Illinois, so I can see where he does get his Bull fandom from and he does live in Riverside, CA now, so its not out of the realm of possibilty he could pick up the Lakers as a new team. VX, was a Laker fan, but adopted the Blazers since he does live in Portland now. Does that make VX any less of a fan? No way.

Anyways, what makes the quality of the sports folder go down is people that just can't ignore others. Just ignore Matt if you don't like him really. It's not hard, folks.

I don't think he's even a Laker fan anymore. Either way, that doesn't make it okay.

I mean it's like, if you're talking to someone about sports are you gonna be like "Man, 91-98 were the best years of my life being a Bulls fan and all, almost as good as 2000-2002 with the Lakers". That's pretty lame.

It's bringing the quality of the sports folder down. If we let him have the Bulls and Lakers, what's stopping a Cowboy fan from Dallas, moving over to Boston and start rooting for the Pats as well? Do you want to send that message? I don't.

I think it's silly what Matt Young is doing, but let's not act like such an act will send TSM crashing down to a pile of rubble.

house%20of%20cards%20falling.jpg

I don't think he's even a Laker fan anymore. Either way, that doesn't make it okay.

I mean it's like, if you're talking to someone about sports are you gonna be like "Man, 91-98 were the best years of my life being a Bulls fan and all, almost as good as 2000-2002 with the Lakers". That's pretty lame.

Dude, only you and a few others here really give a shit about this. Its just sports dude. Maybe I'm just different since people here in SoCal have a different and less antagonizing view on so called "sports allegiances" that you guys on the East Coast do.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, I did renounce the Lakers, although I wanted them to win over Boston in the Finals last year. That's about the extent of how much I like them. I would definitely not call myself a Laker fan anymore though; I don't have any Lakers "gear" (I had some Kobe jersey a loooong time ago that I had no idea what happened to it, and that's about it) while I have some Blazer merchandise and I've been to more Blazers games in the past year and a half than I've been to Laker games in the past 15 years.

Anyways, I think I'm going to move this discussion to the TSM QUESTIONS YOUR LOYALTY thread.

Way to avoid the valid criticism, Bob. And like others said, VX likes 2 teams in the same conference.

And I don't agree with him renouncing the Lakers and suddenly becoming a Blazers fan. But it looks like he's renounced all Lakers fandom, so whatever.

I didn't avoid valid criticism, I don't agree with the hometown team rule. I don't believe just because they're the local team, you have to get emotionally attached to them. I was raised to be a Saints fan. My parents believe in child abuse I guess,

Dude, only you and a few others here really give a shit about this.

I agree, still fly. Also, aside from USC #55, the ones who are criticizing me are all guys who have expressed dislike for me in other areas of the forum. This is only partially about sports. It's largely about those individuals' feelings toward me, and the nature of this board as a whole.

Way to avoid the valid criticism, Bob. And like others said, VX likes 2 teams in the same conference.

I don't agree with the hometown team rule.

Okay, well that settles it. If you won't abide by the rules created by professional sportswriters, as in ESPN and other major media outlets, you shouldn't have the right to make your own when you have no qualifications. The whole thing about settings rules about what makes you a fan is ridiculous anyway. Unless it's to the extent of 2 teams being in the same division, then that's just silly. But liking two teams in separate leagues/conferences in the same sport is perfectly acceptable.

This is only partially about sports. It's largely about those individuals' feelings toward me, and the nature of this board as a whole.

crucify.jpg

I came out of the closet as a Raider fan, so I have no right to criticize anyone over their sports allegiances. I am a purist and don't find it acceptable to switch or support more than one team in the same league. I dropped the Jags, but that was because they were so damn far away that I'll never travel there in my life, and I never really cared about them in the first place. When I was a kid I liked them because they had cool uniforms, and as I grew up I didn't really think I had a dog in the fight.

Matt Young's sports allegiances are acceptable. To me, anyway. None of those teams play in the same conference, and as long as he would no doubt support one over the other and be mad if those guys lost instead of real jazzed because the other guys won, it's cool.

This is only partially about sports. It's largely about those individuals' feelings toward me, and the nature of this board as a whole.

crucify.jpg

I'm not trying to make myself out to be a martyr. I can take it. But you're one of them, so what does it matter.

Well, forgive me for trying to save him from a beatdown.

Actually the White Sox are quite popular in Southern California for whatever reason. Matt can get by with that.

Their uniforms are black, which appeal to gang members, and their logo looks kinda like "sex", which appeals to 12 year olds (who may also be gang members).

Because you have like 10 different teams in your sig, most traditional powerhouses. And because the whole idea of having a "Second favorite team" is so ridiculous to comprehend for most die-hard sports fans.

Then fuck those guys... I roll with my two teams in every sport.

My completely superfluous reply:

I've been a Redskins fan since 1988 (Doug Williams baby! Shame what happened after that though...), and don't have a 'second favorite team'. My favorite sport is basketball, though, but I don't have a favorite team there. I refuse to call myself a Bullets/Wizards fan or ever buy a piece of their merchandise since I get happy when they win but I turn the channel when they're losing. That's not a fan, as far as I'm concerned. A real fan sticks with the team, win or lose. Plus, I'm actually more of a Lakers fan (you HAD to be a fan of Magic Johnson in my house growing up) anyway - though I DID root for the Celtics to win so Garnett, Pierce and Allen could win their ring. As for the other sports, I lukewarmly root for the teams in the area but not with an abundance of passion like with the Skins. I have a lot of close friends that went to Maryland so I was pretty happy when they won the basketball title in 2002.

While generally people's allegiances don't bother me, I WILL rag on my friends if one of them renounces their team because that team's losing. One of my oldest friends used to be a Redskins fan until the Ravens won the Super Bowl in 2000. I refuse to let him back on the Skins bandwagon this year. Every time he says something positive about the Redskins I remind him that he's a Ravens fan. Petty? Sure. Fun? You better believe it.

I think it might be time to bump this topic and I'll pose this question: As a kid did were you a bandwagon fan of any particular team/school? And did you eventually stop rooting for that team as you grew older or do you still have some form of loyalty towards that team/school?

For me I was huge bandwagon Lakers fan in the late 80's. I had two Magic Johnson posters on my wall and the first basketball game I ever went to was a Lakers game against the Warriors in 1987. But around the age of 14 I decided that it was time to support the local team, the Warriors and I've remained a fan ever since even if they have been completely unwatchable for most of these years. I still have fond memories of those 80's Lakers teams but I have no allegiance to current incarnation.

but I think every kid my age liked Jordan and the Bulls in the 90's.

Not if you're from New York. I HATED Michael Jordan and the Bulls, and still do. Fuck him. It's why I never bought a Derrick Rose Bulls jersey

For some reason I liked Florida State when I was like, 8. I mean, I still liked USC, but WHOOOAAAAA that Seminole chant got to me.

I've always been a fan more so of players rather than teams so I largely cheered a player but didn't really care if the team won or not compared to the Boston/New England based teams.

Players

- Deion Sanders (Early 90's with Falcons, '94 49ers, and Cowboys run)

- Michael Jordan's run with the Bulls

- Jerry Stackhouse and Rasheed Wallace's run with the North Carolina Tar Heels

- Colorado when Bourque (sp?) was going for his Stanley Cup

- Wayne Gretzky's run with the LA Kings (Hated him when he joined the Rangers though)

I was a big Cowboys fan when I was 10 or so and they were winning Super Bowls. I don't really give a shit about them now.

Same here.

The only other instance of me hitching my allegiance to a team that I am not currently a fan of is the 92/93 Charlotte Hornets, and I can hardly be accused of jumping on the bandwagon there.

but I think every kid my age liked Jordan and the Bulls in the 90's.

Not if you're from New York. I HATED Michael Jordan and the Bulls, and still do. Fuck him.

That's about right.

I never found myself as a bandwagon fan of a team except for maybe "The Greatest Show on Turf". When it comes to college sports I'm a fan of U. of Michigan football (Big Ten games are always available on ABC) and Syracuse hoops since there isn't a local college team around here other than St. John's and I was never a fan, but there are players I have rooted for even if I didn't care for their team.

As a kid, I took a liking the Philadelphia Eagles as Randall Cunningham was superhuman in my eight year old eyes. He was basically everything Bernie Kosar was not. When the Browns left town, I stepped up my Eagle fandom. Once the Browns came back, I found myself to be a fair weather Eagle fan. If they stink, it didn't/doesn't bother me. But if they're in the playoffs, I get that fan anxiety.

That said, I'd trade one Browns Super Bowl appearance for 10 years of 0-16 Eagle football.