TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

NFL Week 3

Guest Vitamin X

I put up the top four matchups for the week, in succession for what to watch this Sunday/Monday. Looks like a pretty good week of football, especially for primetime.

Early Games (1:15pm EDT)

KC @ ATL

OAK @ BUF

CIN @ NYG

MIA @ NE

HOU @ TEN

TB @ CHI

ARI @ WAS

CAR @ MIN

Late Afternoon Games (4:15pm EDT)

NO @ DEN

DET @ SF

STL @ SEA

PIT @ PHI

CLE @ BAL

JAX @ IND

Sunday Night Football (8:15pm EDT on NBC)

Dallas Cowboys @ Green Bay Packers

Monday Night Football (8:30 EDT on ESPN)

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers

Other games to watch are Carolina/Minnesota to see which one of the perennial "NFC Favorites" actually doesn't suck this year. My money's on the Panthers. Also, the Cardinals taking on the Redskins will give Arizona a chance to improve to 3-0, which might give them a chance to head into their bye week at .500 or better (considering they have games against the Jets, Bills, and Cowboys after). That might just be enough for them to have a strangehold on their division by that point.

KC @ ATL

OAK @ BUF (Even as a Raiders fan, I'll be shocked if the Raiders win.)

CIN @ NYG

MIA @ NE

HOU @ TEN

TB @ CHI

ARI @ WAS

CAR @ MIN

NO @ DEN

DET @ SF

STL @ SEA

PIT @ PHI

CLE @ BAL

JAX @ IND

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers

Other games to watch are Carolina/Minnesota to see which one of the perennial "NFC Favorites" actually doesn't suck this year. My money's on the Panthers.

I would have thought that the Panthers being 2-0 and the Vikings being 0-2 might have answered that already.

New England should have a fairly easy victory this week..

Things I'm looking for

1: Can they score the touchdown instead of the field goal?

2: Can the defense make turnovers? It seems like every other week there's a surefire INT dropped by somebody (Merriweather comes to mind).

3: Can the passing game top 200 yards? I'd like to see Cassel prove that the pass game can be a threat in addition to the combination of rushing yards provided by guys like Faulk, Maroney, Morris, and Jordan.

KC @ ATL

OAK @ BUF The Raiders have played well against the Bills the last few years, but this is Buffalo's game.

CIN @ NYG

MIA @ NE

HOU @ TEN I'm still not sure what to make of Houston. I expected them to play 8-8 or so, but they got blown away by Pittsburgh in Week One. The unexpected week off might accumulate rust, but it's tough to gauge them after one game.

TB @ CHI Third-closest game of the week.

ARI @ WAS Second-closest game of the week.

CAR @ MIN Showed lots of poise coming back against Chicago, and Steve Smith is returning.

NO @ DEN

DET @ SF

STL @ SEA Seattle's going to really put the hammer down.

PIT @ PHI Toughest on paper; I'll give Pittsburgh the edge with Philly on five days rest.

CLE @ BAL

JAX @ IND They have to be better than this.

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers So do they.

KC @ ATL- Michael Turner is a beast and the Chiefs have no run defense. ATL wins easily

OAK @ BUF- Buffalo has looked great, hopefully the Raiders can keep it close. I like the Bills to go 3-0.

CIN @ NYG- Has NYG played anyone good yet? NYG is a walk.

MIA @ NE- After the Jets game I'm sold on NE. NE wins easily.

HOU @ TEN- Tennessese has looked good after too games and I haven't seen much of HOU. I think TEN wins here.

TB @ CHI- Should be a close one, but I think the Bears will be who we thought they were.

ARI @ WAS- Is Arizona for real? I like there chances against an inconsistent Washington team

CAR @ MIN- Minnesota is OVERRATED. AP can't do it by itself, so I like Carolina in this one.

NO @ DEN- NO has a weak defense and Denver has proven to have a deadly passing game. DEN by a considerable amount.

DET @ SF- DET just plain sucks here, Frank Gore should have a career day. I like the 49ers to go 2-1

STL @ SEA- SEA must win here to keep their division crown hopes alive. STL stinks, so I think SEA but in a close one.

PIT @ PHI- I liked what I saw Monday Night, so I say Philly, but it go can either way

CLE @ BAL- CLE needs a win here to get off the snide. Haven't seen enough BAL games to judge them. CLE needs it more, so I like em in this one.

JAX @ IND- Another tossup. Both teams are struggling, but I like Indy at home for some reason.

Dallas Cowboys @ Green Bay Packers- Another big time game. Possible NFC championship Preview. Aaron Rodgers first real test against an elite team. Should be another close game, but I think Dallas overwelms the Pack at the end day. DAL, but not by much.

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers- San Diego should crush the Jets at home after two down to the wire losses. San Diego is too good to go 0-3.

Picks I'm likely making for my straight-up money pool:

KC @ ATL - Both these teams are pretty bad, but KC just looks dreadful, so there's no way I pick them on the road.

OAK @ BUF - The injuries to Fargas and McFadden are going to keep the Raiders out of this game.

CIN @ NYG - If you thought the Bengals offence looked anemic in their first two games, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. Giants by a ton.

MIA @ NE - Another easy one. Dolphins looked like I thought they would against Arizona.

HOU @ TEN - This one has upset potential. If Mario Williams can get to Kerry Collins, I think the Texans win. But I'm going with the Titans in a squeaker for now.

TB @ CHI - Switched this midweek due to the Hester injury. His absence will be the difference.

ARI @ WAS - Every time people get their hopes up about the Cardinals, they get burned. Skins will get a last-second win.

CAR @ MIN - Panthers win comfortably as the Vikings coaching staff implodes yet again.

NO @ DEN - I like the Broncos to go for 40+ against a very inconsistent Saints defence.

DET @ SF - Niners have shown a bit of promise. Lions are just terrible. SF by a TD or so.

STL @ SEA - Come on, Seattle can't lose to the Rams, can they? This will be close, though.

PIT @ PHI - When in doubt, take the home team. Eagles by 6.

CLE @ BAL - I just don't think the Browns have it. A rested Baltimore team should be able to take them.

JAX @ IND - Jaguars are too banged up to go with them. Colts win a hard-fought game, and Jax drops to 0-3.

Dallas Cowboys @ Green Bay Packers - Both teams have looked good, but Green Bay really hasn't played anyone yet. I like the Cowboys by 10.

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers - A beatdown of epic proportions. The Chargers are way too good to drop three straight, and the Jets aren't good enough to get a big win on the road like this. Chargers by 20+.

New England should have a fairly easy victory this week..

Things I'm looking for

1: Can they score the touchdown instead of the field goal?

2: Can the defense make turnovers?

3: Can the passing game top 200 yards?

These same questions can be asked of the Vikings

The Cardinals looked decent against a medicore 49ers team(Mind you the 49ers had FIVE freakin turnovers in that game) and very good against a garbage Miami team.

Washington at home.

I'll take the Skins. 24-17

Guest Vitamin X

Considering how Philly played against Dallas, another shootout may happen at Lambeau since Green Bay's offense is arguably just as talented if not moreso than Philly's. I think the guy to that game will be Marion Barber. If Green Bay is able to shut him down and make Romo throw, the Packers will be able to make him pay on it a lot worse than the Eagles did. If Dallas is able to run the ball well and control the clock, keeping Rodgers, Jennings, Driver, Jones, and Lee off the field then they will certainly win the game.

I don't know if you can say Green Bay hasn't "played anyone yet." Sure the Vikes are 0-2, but they've got a shitty quarterback, so the W-L record will reflect that. Both of those games they lost were close ones to good teams, and their defense has been pretty impressive, more than I initially gave them credit for- I wouldn't have said this until they got into a field goal war with Indy preceding the inevitable Manning touchdown at the end. They're still a tough division rival, and that could be comparable to Dallas' game with Philly, who beat up on a shitty Rams team then exposed Dallas' defense for all it was worth. Dallas had Cleveland the first week, and they're on the Lions' level.

Either way, it'll probably be a hell of an important game, as it may establish who can get homefield very, very early on, not to mention the divisional races it could affect. If either team loses, they're in for a dogfight in their division.

Thank God for Sunday Ticket this week -- if I didn't have it, I'd be getting Bengals/Giants, Steelers/Eagles, Lions/Niners and Rams/Seahawks. Yay.

Why on earth does CBS have Gus Johnson doing the worst game of the week (Chiefs/Falcons)?

Looking forward to the Cardinals-Redskins game. Arizona looked great against the Dolphins (not a good team, but still). Warner hasn't turned the ball over for two straight games for the first time since 2004.

What to watch for:

1. Can Warner limit the turnovers? He has been great so far, but the Skins defense is tougher then the 49ers and Dolphins

2. Jason Campbell- Which version shows up? The week one version or the week two?

3. Can Arizona stop the run? They have looked average so far, but Portis and Betts are a formidible duo.

4. Fitzgerald-Boldin vs the Washington secondary- Can they slow down a passing attack that went crazy last week?

5. Arizona on the ground- Can Edge get the ball moving on the defense or is it now Tim Hightower time?

6. Neil Rackers- Can he right the ship? The last couple of seaons he has been very spotty on his FGs. If it comes down to a pressure kick can he hit it? As of now his greatest value is his leg on kickoffs.

This is going to be a close game but I see Arizona pulling it out 24-17.

Guest Vitamin X

Dallas has only played in Green Bay five times, EVER. The first time was the Ice Bowl, and the Packers are undefeated in all five games.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

My magic five discussion questions of the week:

1. I'm setting the over/under on sacks at 4 in the Bengals/Giants game. Pick one.

2. Can Houston capitalize on Kerry Collins being a stationary suckass and tee off?

3. Can Miami generate enough pass rush to shake Cassel, and continue their history of playing New England tough when totally outgunned?

4. Will Tampa and Chicago combined score more points than either New Orleans or Denver?

5. Is Minnesota being hot shit going to be the worst fucking preseason pick in the world, facing a must-win against a good Carolina team?

1. I'm setting the over/under on sacks at 4 in the Bengals/Giants game. Pick one.

2. Can Houston capitalize on Kerry Collins being a stationary suckass and tee off?

3. Can Miami generate enough pass rush to shake Cassel, and continue their history of playing New England tough when totally outgunned?

4. Will Tampa and Chicago combined score more points than either New Orleans or Denver?

5. Is Minnesota being hot shit going to be the worst fucking preseason pick in the world, facing a must-win against a good Carolina team?

1. Over -- and that's just for the Giants.

2. That was my big question as well. If Mario Williams has a big day, the Texans will win. The Titans' O-line is going to have to come up big.

3. Nope, not this time. Especially not in Foxboro.

4. New Orleans, maybe. Denver, probably not.

5. Yes. Tarvaris Jackson is not ready to be an NFL staring quarterback. He may never be ready. Until he's replaced, the Vikings have no shot at being an upper-tier team.

1. I'd take the over. Carson Palmer has to be hating life right now.

2. Not enough for it to make a difference, as the strength of the Tennessee offense is clearly the run game. Look for something along the lines of 14-10 in Tennessee's advantage.

3. No. The Brady-less Pats will cruise to a third victory.

4. Doubtful, although the last time these teams played the score was like 38-35, so who knows? I'd anticipate something more along the lines of 13-10. Both Denver and New Orleans should put up at least 24.

5. The worst preseason picks in recent memory: The 2005 Vikings ruling the world and the 2006 Dolphins toppling the Patriots. This one pales in comparison. I'd actually say that the megahyped Browns will end up having a more disappointing season than the Vikings, who I suspect will come on once they figure out that Tarvaris Jackson isn't an NFL quarterback.

Way over.

Yeah, their defense will make good plays on a way to a loss.

Not a chance.

No, probably not. Especially with Cutler playing the way he is.

I'll be the one to stick to my guns and maintain that it's still a good pick. It's not like their loss against the Colts was one against a pile of shit team. Jackson isn't an NFL QB, but this is still a good team that CAN make the playoffs. Their schedule doesn't get tougher, it gets easier.

Per PFT, Gus Frerotte will start for the Vikings this Sunday. As long as he can refrain from concussing himself on any nearby brick or concrete walls, the guy is a clear upgrade over Jackson. Smart move.

Man, the Vikings make all that bravado in the offseason about how Jackson is their quarterback and there's nothing that will change that. Three weeks into the season they already want to switch quarterbacks? I can't see Brad Childress keeping his job after this season, playoffs or not.

Minnesota should be on the phone with Tampa right now trying to swing a deal for Jeff Garcia, even if it means overpaying in draft picks. This team was assembled to be a Super Bowl contender and it's slipping away with each passing day. I'm sorry but Gus is not the guy that's going to lead the charge to a championship.

Garcia appears to be physically deteriorating before our very eyes. It's not just his play; the guy looks terrible, like Tom Hanks towards the end of Philadelphia. So, yeah, we'll take a first and a third for him. You guys like awful wide recievers with hands of stone up there, right? You can have Michael Clayton, too.