TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Led Zeppelin to tour in 2009

Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant has reportedly agreed to join the band on a reunion tour. The group - guitarist Jimmy Page, bassist John Paul Jones and drummer Jason Bonham - had resigned themselves to touring without the singer as he had initially been sceptical, but Robert eventually changed his mind when they began auditioning for new singers.

A source said: "The rest of the band had all but given up on Robert joining them, but they were determined to go ahead and had started to seriously explore other avenues... When Robert realised the band were serious about doing it without him, it made him think long and hard."

The band were delighted when Robert eventually relented, and are now set to play a series of dates next summer. The source added: "The band were over the moon when he told them the news. They are now forging ahead with the tour plans and can't wait to get on the road."

Led Zeppelin's reunion tour comes after the huge success of their one-off show at London's O2 Arena in December.

Credit: Music-News.Com

It'll probably cost me hundreds of dollars for a ticket, but I'd love to see them play in L.A. You know they're going to.

I think the original source for this current story is the Sun, the equivalent of the New York Post. NME has also reported it but they also reported that Led Zeppelin would be at Bonnaroo this year even after the lineup was released

If the rumor does prove true, it's very likely that they will headline Saturday night in Tennesee next June. I think AC/DC will headline Friday night but I guess that's not really the point of this thread.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Led Zeppelin hasn't existed for twenty-eight years, but if you guys want to pay absurd amounts of money to see three old farts and their dead friend's son then gooooooo ahead...

Led Zeppelin hasn't existed for almost 28 years, but if you guys want to pay absurd amounts of money to see three old farts and their dead friend's son then gooooooo ahead...

That's exactly what I intend to do.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

What's the point, though? This isn't how they're meant to be experienced: old, decrepit, and 75% living. They're a notch above a very grey-haired cover band at this point, and it's painful to see them carry on like this. Half of what made them legendary was the Led Zeppelin mythos, the saga, all of that. That they ceased to exist the way they did before they could really tumble into obsolescence and self-parody is what made them capital-G Great. Now they're the Who.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

I didn't say that. I said that it's unfair to the legacy of the band to attempt to replicate a product of its time. I don't want this being passed off as Led Zeppelin, with the songs taken down a few keys so Plant can hit the high notes, without one of the best drummers in rock history, without the energy that made them what they were. I just wanted them to stay in the past.

What's the point, though? This isn't how they're meant to be experienced: old, decrepit, and 75% living. They're a notch above a very grey-haired cover band at this point, and it's painful to see them carry on like this. Half of what made them legendary was the Led Zeppelin mythos, the saga, all of that. That they ceased to exist the way they did before they could really tumble into obsolescence and self-parody is what made them capital-G Great. Now they're the Who.

Coincidentally, I went and saw the Who in concert. Rolling Stones, too.

Is the live experience a fraction of what these bands once were? Sure, but this is the only chance I'm going to get. I was born thirty years too late to see these bands in their prime. I'll choose 75% Zeppelin over 0% Zeppelin any day.

I tend to agree. Hell, my mom went and saw Elton John when she was a teenager and then again a few years ago and even she of all people said it was a "different" experience seeing him at this age. Even with all the talent he still had it just wasn't the same.

I understand the desire to see some of these legendary bands because you want to be able to see "Hey I saw such and such" but I don't even want any of you to begin to say it is even close to what it would have been like to see them when they were relevent. Not to mention at a fraction of what these greedy pig-ish record companies/ticket offices want to charge people for a couple of hours of live music these days.

Hell, I saw Robbie Krieger of the Doors with his Acid Jazz band a few years ago in a small club, and his son was doing the Jim Morrison vocals. It was kinda cool, but all it really made me feel in the end was envy for my parent's generation when it came to rock n roll music. Well that and it was I think at the most $8.

Hell, I have been refusing to see Metallica because I just missed the era of when I actually thought they were a good band. (This is just my personal opinion but I think they suck now and can care less if they can technically still play their old shit well). Sure, I can buy a ticket, sit through an hour of their shit-fest covering their catalog of the last 15 years so I can hear a few tunes from the old days, but why? I don't care that much, there are still plenty of bands playing stuff I want to hear. I'd rather never see Metallica live then see them in their current form.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

I was born too late for lots of music that I love. That's just the way it is.

17439288.jpg

I'm sorry. I just never wanted it to come to this.

Sticking with this.

I will admit, however, that I know I don't place the same premium on seeing bands live that other people do, so it stands to reason that I'd be less than enthused about this ersatz Led Zeppelin thing. When I saw Zappa Plays Zappa in July, I had a great time, but 1) there were no pretenses about what this was, FZ's son and some touring musicians paying tribute to his dad and his dad's band, and 2) I didn't pay to see them.

I saw the Police last year and they were great. I will be definitely going to see the mighty Zep, if nothing else as a tribute to my dad who was a huge Zeppelin fan and isn't around to see them again.

I got that excited over the Spice Girls reunion. I was going to fly to LA for it, but I ended up losing my job that same week, then they canceled like half of their gigs due to lack of interest. It just wasn't meant to be.

patrickbateman.jpg

I just don't like... live music, unless it's in a small venue. This shit is the opposite of that.

Singer Robert Plant has ruled out reports that he will embark on a Led Zeppelin reunion tour next year.

A statement posted on his web site says: "Contrary to a spate of recent reports, Robert Plant will not be touring or recording with Led Zeppelin. Anyone buying tickets online to any such event will be buying bogus tickets."

Plant said, "It's both frustrating and ridiculous for this story to continue to rear its head when all the musicians that surround the story are keen to get on with their individual projects and move forward. I wish Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham nothing but success with any future projects."

Last week, The Sun published a report claiming that Plant had finally decided to join the other members — Jason Bonham, John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page — on a full-fledged reunion tour.

After Plant finishes up his tour dates with bluegrass singer Alison Krauss, he looks to take a break from touring, possibly up to two years, according to his website.

Credit: Blabbermouth.net

Now they're the Who.

Aside from the fact that Zeppelin recorded albums that were actually worth listening to before their drummer died.