• NBC Sunday Night Football
    • ESPN Monday Night Football
    • NBA on TNT
    • NBA on NBC
    • NBA on ESPN
    • ESPN ___ Night Baseball
    • NHL on VS.

Guest Vitamin X

I would totally add more, but these are the ones that come immediately to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4VaHx3w9hk The NFL on FOX theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLWuVO38kn0 NFL on CBS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQTDKbFocbo MLB on FOX.

NBC Sunday Night Football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOmcLIzIuzc The always classic MNF on ESPN theme.

NBA on TNT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fErMdMN-rGg NBA on NBC.

NBA on ESPN.

ESPN Sunday/Monday/Wednesday/Thursday Night Baseball.

NHL on VS.

Me, personally? The NFL on FOX and NBA on NBC are very, very close.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

If you don't mind, which I bet you do, I'm changing all the embedded youtubes to links so that the page loads a littlw quicker.

NBA on NBC is the gold standard of American sports coverage music. NFL on Fox is a close second. NCAA on CBS is good, but only in small annual doses.

I can't stand NFL on CBS at all. The old one from the early '90s (and up to a few years ago) was cool, but I can see how it didn't age well enough for an age-conscious network such as CBS. It's just too loud, too overwrought. It's like someone yelling "FOOTBAAAALLLL" two inches from your face.

That NBA on ESPN song they use now is pretty dull and lifeless, but the one they originally used was really good, a fair successor to Tesh's song: There was also another variation of that theme that they used for Fastbreak/halftime/pregame, but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe I imagined it. The NBA on FSN theme that I found once is okay, but I've never encountered it, since I don't watch basketball on FSN. The old CBS NBA theme, whatever.

That ESPN baseball theme sounds like a '90s version of it that has since been overtinkered, like the music from Sportscenter, Sportscenter itself, and the whole channel. The cut they're using for Sunday Night Baseball is slow and dragged out. It sounds like somebody died and is about to be eulogized by Jon Miller. (There is a special Death Cut of the Sportscenter theme, you know.) Baseball on Fox has lost its luster, don't know why. The two themes from This Week In Baseball, opening and closing, are my favorites.

I don't remember. They bought the rights to it from the original composer when CBC decided not to renew because of cost, though. That's the CBC for you.

It's going to be bizarre hearing it on TSN for some random midweek game.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

So wait, HNIC isn't going to be on the CBC anymore? Not that it affects me, but hasn't the CBC been doing Hockey Night since it was only a radio network? Weird.

To stay on topic, I like the original version of the theme a lot, but I'm sure it's been modified since then. There's also a shuffle version floating around the Internet somewhere. I hope you're using that. That NHL on Versus song is just stock music. National Hockey Night from ESPN was cool, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfOB3jzfpoU: National Hockey Night from '95 featuring the late great powder blue team. Hahahah, "Rhythm of the Night" by Corona is playing while Bill Clement is talking. Pretty big in the spring of 1995.

So wait, HNIC isn't going to be on the CBC anymore? Not that it affects me, but hasn't the CBC been doing Hockey Night since it was only a radio network? Weird.

No, they're still doing HNIC, they just decided to ditch the theme (??) and hold a contest among fans to write a new one (???).

Another theme I liked that wasn't mentioned here was the

I went with NBA on NBC simply because out of all the one's listed, its the only one I can definitely hum without having to guess at a part or simply get it wrong.

Lots of great ones, but I'd have to go with the classic NBA on NBC (NFL on FOX is up there as well).

Some others not mentioned:

This and the ESPN one bring back memories of when I was at my peak as a hockey fan during the mid/late 90's and early 2000's.

Even though I was an NFC guy, I always loved this theme back in the days of Elway and Marino and many others.

Also, a lot of the NFL Primetime themes were great as well.

Guest Smues

TBS used to use the song from Major League for Braves games some times. That was awesome.

As for the votable options, NBA on NBC all the way.

Ditto again, CC.

The CBC's decline to renew the rights to the theme has been a pretty second-guessed issue by some, and a praised one by a select few. Nancy something-or-other has made forseeably millions on it, but from what I understand, nothing from cell phone ring tones, commercial, etc., just the broadcast. On the other hand, seven or eight figures it a lot to make for anyone, and any kind of proud Canadian would take a slight pay cut. (This is paraphrased from a letter to the Toronto Sun the day after CTV bought the rights. I ultimately agree, but I see the songwriter's case).

Long known as "out second anthem", it's more associated with the broadcast than the logo or the old blue blazers. It's not going to affect my enjoyment of CBC's coverage, but it's going to be something. As I understand it, the negotiations went something like this:

One year ago

Writer: I want 3 million dollars.

CBC: Nope.

Writer: Fine, see you next June before it expires.

June

Writer: Gonna pay me what I asked?

CBC: Nope.

Writer: Fine.

Again, as CC mentioned, that's the CBC. My dad said Randy Bachman has entered five themes in this contest.....As much as I don't like the idea of Nickelback replacing a legendary ditty, the "Saturday Night" packages have always been well done, and it's an apropos tune. Has no one at the CBC considered throwing Stompin Tom a few hundred k?

I'm glad someone else mention the NHL on ESPN theme, but nothing compares to the NBA on NBC.

If you want to add teams theme songs, I nominate the Bills' Shout:

As noted earlier, NBA on NBC is the gold standard for sport themes

After that, tough call. I do really enjoy the college football themes for both CBS and ESPN. Speaking of college, I'm surprised that the classic NCAA on CBS only got one mention so far, and in passing at that (Here's the best quality version of the song I could find on Youttube, though I don't know why someone chose to run it over pics of some girl).

The NFL and MLB themes are also good, although much like Czech I prefer the 90's CBS NFL theme to their current one

Guest Vitamin X

It's okay Czech, I didn't mind.

I love the NBA on NBC as well, but I don't know that NFL on FOX just gets me so god damn FIRED UP. FOOTBALL! YES! It's what always reminds me that football is back in season, along with fall and pumpkins and future shitty weather and stupid holidays. It's like, listen, this isn't summer any more, this is fucking FOOTBALL SEASON.

If someone I could get that at my wedding reception, I totally would. Have the trumpets blare then fireworks go off and just run through a tunnel with my bride.

My wife and I entered our wedding reception to the HNIC theme.

That's awesome! I didn't read the 'recption' part at first, but that's still all kinds of awesome. A buddy of mine told me he had a dream the other night that I came down the aisle at my wedding to Bret Hart's theme.

I wouldn't say it's my favourite, but nothing quite stirs me like the theme to The Masters.