TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Star Ocean 3

Your city's most-loved team

Well it depends. In Hockey its either the Leafs or Sabres, but neither fan base is dedicated right now.

There are plenty of Bills fans right now, but this is because they are only winning.

1 - Buckeyes. Not even close. It's bordering on constant mass hysteria.

2 - Blue Jackets. Hockey or not, the team's been embraced by the city and they've stuck with it even though the nonstop mediocrity. Enthusiasm is starting to wane a bit, though, and another bad season might kill a lot of interest.

3 - Browns. Slightly more popular than the Bengals despite Cincinnati being a bit closer.

4 - Bengals. A couple years ago they were the more popular squad, but they've lost some ground thanks to last year's awful season and Cleveland's surprisingly good 07-08.

5 - Steelers. Plenty of frontrunners, sure, but a lot of 'em became Steeler fans when the Browns became the Ravens. Doesn't make any sense to me, but hey.

6 - Cavaliers. Probably in third or even second during their finals run but enthusiasm has waned to say the least.

7 - Indians. What can I say, it's not much of a baseball town.

8 - Reds. Kinda hard to tell which baseball team is more popular since there's so little support seen for either squad around the city, so this is more of a guess than anything.

9 - Crew. As good as the team is, the only people that care about it are the twenty thousand or so that fill the stadium night after night. Shame, really.

In Wichita, KU is number one for sure, with K-State coming in a fairly close second. The Chiefs would be number three and definitely the biggest pro team of the area. Wichita State is a distant fourth. The local sporting media is pretty much confined to those four teams plus the Royals, though their fan support around here is pretty much nonexistent at this point.... can't really hold that against them though after fifteen years of David Glass' bullshit

After that, I do see the occasional Nebraska and OU fan out and about, but that pretty well covers it

I just knew that my shadow would have some words for me, and a 2 for 1, at that.

A great rivalry isn't dependent on both teams being good, but competitive with each other. Yankees-Red Sox is just annoying, and I don't see any other rivalry that comes close. I've never claimed to be an Angels fan, but even if I were it wouldn't stop me from seeing the bigger picture with LA fans. And I can't believe there's another LA/Orange County discussion.

I guess the Red Wings would be Detroit's most loved team right now, with all those Stanley Cups and the whole "Hockeytown" thing going on (although I wonder how much Detroit's high-black population really cares). People are more obsessed with the Lions but it's more of a love-hate thing with them. The Tigers have a lot of tradition, but their fanbase had pretty much been dead in the water for awhile until a couple years ago. The Pistons have a nice buzz going on, but I don't think it's to the level of the Wings.

If you want to throw in college teams, Michigan football goes right to the top. Michigan State basketball would be #6.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
A great rivalry isn't dependent on both teams being good, but competitive with each other. Yankees-Red Sox is just annoying, and I don't see any other rivalry that comes close.

White Sox-Twins has been really intense the last few years. Cubs-Cardinals has been intense for the last 105.

By the by, if a given metropolitan area values college sports more than professional sports, and the given metropolitan area is not your traditional sans-pro out-in-the-sticks College Town, the residents of this area are straw-chewing red-faced yokels.

Guest Vitamin X
By the by, if a given metropolitan area values college sports more than professional sports, and the given metropolitan area is not your traditional sans-pro out-in-the-sticks College Town, the residents of this area are straw-chewing red-faced yokels.

Portland does not fall into this category, btw. But we do like the Ducks more than the Seahawks.

I guess it'd have to be OU. If it was a pro-sport though I'd say it was the Dallas Cowboys. BUT, the Thunder have exploded here and are easily the most popular pro team now. It's insane the amount of support they're already getting.

A great rivalry isn't dependent on both teams being good, but competitive with each other.

This is the reason I always thought the Red Wings/Avalanche Rivalry of the 90's into 2002 was the best in sports. Out of 7 Stanley Cups, these two teams won 5

You could have added New Jersey and Dallas in there as well. It was a combination of those four in the Stanley Cup Finals since 1995.

You could have added New Jersey and Dallas in there as well. It was a combination of those four in the Stanley Cup Finals since 1995.

Yeah, expand it one year in each direction (1995-2003), and you have:

- 3 Cups for Detroit

- 3 Cups for New Jersey'

- 2 Cups for Colorado

- 1 Cup for Dallas

That was a sort of "multi-dynastic" era there, where you had 4 great teams competing with each other and a few flavor of the years (Washington, Florida, Buffalo) sneaking in. But the real rivalry was between Detroit and Colorado. That's where the hate really was during those years... and man, was it awesome.

The Colts.

The Colts The Colts The Colts The Colts.

The Colts.

I have photographed high school seniors, entire families, even their pets in their Indianapolis Colts gear.

The Colts.

Agreed. Used to be the Pacers, but now it's definitely the Colts.

I would say that the local High School Varsity Football team is more popular than the Pacers right now.

I would say that the local High School Varsity Football team is more popular than the Pacers right now.

This is true, but I see a turnaround in the future. They brought in a bunch of new guys and kicked alot of the hated players out, so I see the love returning to the Pacers.

In Kansas City, it's the Chiefs by a lot. KU basketball and Mizzou football are probably second and third. The Royals are more of a sideshow attraction.

Out here in Columbia, it's Mizzou everything, obviously. Cardinals baseball (sadly) is number two.

Where I live, it's the Raiders and the 49ers.

I'd give the edge to the Raiders though, unfortunately.

I hope you don't live in the Bay Area, because that would be really SAD.

I haven't lived there in over a year.

Anyway, what I mean, is that the 49ers and Raiders fanbases stand out to me the most popular in terms of being talked about and supported the most. Sure you have fans of other teams and sports, but they don't really stand out a whole lot to me.

Where I'm living now is right smack in the middle between Baltimore and Washington, but the THE team here is the Redskins. #2 would be Navy Football, and #3 would be the Ravens. However, the Raven fans tend to disappear if the team loses more than one game in a row while you'll see Redskin and Navy fans all over the place even when the teams win 3 games (or less) in a season. Maryland Basketball would be #4, with Maryland Football being a distant #5. The Orioles still have some fan support, but have been so bad for so long that it's starting to fade. The Nationals (I hate the "Nats" nickname) had a real chance to gain a foothold but screwed it up royally. This was not a surprise.

EDIT: Actually, I'd say Navy Football might actually be #1, or at the very least #1A.

In Ottawa, the Senators are #1, and the Leafs are #1A.

I'd disagree. These days, it's Sens 1, Leafs 1A, Habs 1B. A lot of the lukewarm fans have been jumping to the Habs bandwagon.

Probably true. From what I've heard, the city was split about 2-1 between the Leafs and Habs before the Sens became relevant.

Georgia Bulldog football is the only thing that anybody cares about around here. When the basketball team made their miracle run through the SEC Tournament earlier this year, I didn't hear one word about it locally. Nobody gave a shit. The Braves are probably second with the Falcons being third. People understandably couldn't care less about the Hawks. Does Atlanta have a hockey team?

Georgia Bulldog football is the only thing that anybody cares about around here. When the basketball team made their miracle run through the SEC Tournament earlier this year, I didn't hear one word about it locally. Nobody gave a shit. The Braves are probably second with the Falcons being third. People understandably couldn't care less about the Hawks. Does Atlanta have a hockey team?

atlanta_thrashers.gif

Why does Atlanta have a hockey team? I subscribe to the notion that hockey should only be played in parts of the world where it's actually possible to play ice hockey outdoors at any point in the year. Would the NHL be lessened somehow if there were no Atlanta Thrashers, Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Dallas Stars, LA Kings, or Memphis whateverthefucks?

The Stars and Lightning are both popular franchises. There is no Memphis pro-hockey team. LA was huge when Gretzky was there, don't know about now.

The Thrashers probably aren't necessary