TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

SNL - Josh Brolin/Adele

Probably the best Weekend Update I've ever seen in my life. I like Tim Calhoun, but then it got better with Jean K. Jean... who I always love but I was crying during the Palin rap. I even laughed so hard I cried the second time through. Unreal.

Wahlberg showing up was funny too.

There were a ton of weird skits last night but I like Kristen's character that can't keep a secret.

Awesome show.

I thought it was easily the worst show of the season, and it seemed like they knew they had enough with the Palin stuff and just phoned in the rest of the show. They're probably burnt out from the insane sked they've been working.

I know MacGruber isn't the most popular skit, but I thought the first one was actually pretty funny. The second one not so much, and I didn't see the third one, if there was one.

As someone who enjoyed the "Mark Wahlberg Talks to Animals" skit from a few weeks back, I loved his surprise appearance in the opening skit.

The second half of the show was rather weak, though.

Josh Brolin loves him some wigs. Also, I don't care what anyone says, the "Macruber" sketces are awesome, especially last nights. When he broke the bottle, I about lost it.

I thought that was the worst SNL I've seen in a while because a whole lot of the sketches just fell flat to me. I thought Brolin looked like he'd be a great host, but he just didn't get good material.

Wahlberg was awesome though, and so was Alec Baldwin in the opening. And I always love MacGruber. Also, as much as I wish Sarah Palin would die, she had way better line delivery than most politicians who show up on SNL.

Yeah, screw you guys, I thought the whole show was great.

I don't think they can ever do another Palin skit again now.

Yeah, screw you guys, I thought the whole show was great.

I don't think they can ever do another Palin skit again now.

Really? Cause I think SNL's been really really good for the past couple seasons but most of the sketches just didn't do it for me on this episode.

palinzm0rb1.gif

I'm sure that will pop up in someone's sig eventually.

That was pretty much the only part of it that I thought was good.

Thoughhh, if Palin herself had done the rap, that would have been the awesomest thing ever.

I thought that was the worst SNL I've seen in a while because a whole lot of the sketches just fell flat to me. I thought Brolin looked like he'd be a great host, but he just didn't get good material.

I agree- easily the worst since the first post-WGA episode with Tina. A lot of the skits just had awful premises, they were dead before they started.

Really? Cause I think SNL's been really really good for the past couple seasons but most of the sketches just didn't do it for me on this episode.

Last season had potential, but the strike really killed their momentum, and a lot of potential political humour. I've really enjoyed this season, though this one just shit the bed. You can't do 4 shows in a row, then do another three shows while doing three 30 minute specials. It's overkill.

Thursday Night Live was decent- Update was really good, but the debate skit went on forever.

I don't think his impression is that bad...he hits the right notes on the way Obama talks...

The problem is that Obama isn't funny. No one has really been able to find the angle to make him a funny character. He doesn't say funny things like Palin or Biden or Bush. He doesn't look crabby and mean like McCain or Cheyne. He doesn't come with the baggage of Hillary. He's certainly not the easy target that Bill was. He's probably the most mock proof guy that I've seen on a national stage. Seriously...what's the angle?

Doesn't bode well for the next 4 years of political satire.

The only good thing about fartface was the discussion about whether or not his face smelled like a fart or if his face is what fart's face would look like.

I don't think his impression is that bad...he hits the right notes on the way Obama talks...

The problem is that Obama isn't funny. No one has really been able to find the angle to make him a funny character.

Any character can be funny on that show. The impersonation just leaves way too much to be desired. The cast is as thin as I can remember. They can afford to bring in a starving comedian with a dead-on Obama act.

The problem is that Obama isn't funny. No one has really been able to find the angle to make him a funny character. He doesn't say funny things like Palin or Biden or Bush. He doesn't look crabby and mean like McCain or Cheyne. He doesn't come with the baggage of Hillary. He's certainly not the easy target that Bill was. He's probably the most mock proof guy that I've seen on a national stage. Seriously...what's the angle?

Clinton's first term was rather boring though. A lot of it had to do with the people on the show (Farley, Sandler, etc) not excelling at political satire and because it was just uneventful (Gennifer Flowers wasn't a real big deal and most of the material centered around Clinton dealt with him being fat)

1996-2000 was comedic gold though and Darell Hammond ruled it.

Fred Armisen has Barack Obama's inflections and vocal mannerisms down, and he deserves credit for that; in Thursday's debate sketch he did a great job with Obama's tendency to stretch words out when he's clearly looking for the way to articulate something he's thinking (or alternatively when he just goes "... ahhh" or "um"). Unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that he doesn't sound a thing like him other than that (his voice is too high-pitched) and doesn't particularly look like him either. They need someone who looks remotely like Obama and most importantly can sound like the man; otherwise it's just some guy who talks in the same way Barack Obama does.

Clinton's first term was rather boring though. A lot of it had to do with the people on the show (Farley, Sandler, etc) not excelling at political satire and because it was just uneventful (Gennifer Flowers wasn't a real big deal and most of the material centered around Clinton dealt with him being fat)

They had Hartman though, who was great. But 94-95 wasn't about political satire, it was about pissing off Garafalo and seeing what show could be the least funny.

They had Hartman though, who was great. But 94-95 wasn't about political satire, it was about pissing off Garafalo and seeing what show could be the least funny.

Haha Yeah, I've been re-reading "Live From New York", Garafalo hated being on the show before she even did the show it seems lol.

Yeah he was but it was mostly in 91-92 with the 3 way race/debate material

Once Clinton took office there was very little material. The show wasn't really about political satire at the time though it was about appealing to teenagers.

and I bet nobody remembers Michael McKean playing him in 94-95. They only did a handful of Clinton sketches that year