TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LivingLegendGaryColeman

The Time Is Now... to Change Cena's Theme

Got this from Rajah.com

TMZ.com is reporting that Jamal Grinnage, Eric Murray and Daryl Pittman (Lil' Fame, Billy Danze and Pittman from rap group M.O.P.) have filed a federal lawsuit against World Wrestling Entertainment and John Cena claiming that John Cena's song, "Time Is Now" borrows heavily from their hit song "Ante Up." The official court documents can be read here.

In lawsuit claims that WWE's lawyers actually found somebody to sign off on the license who was only a receptionist and did not have authority to sign anything.

The biggest point of actual musical contention is one non-English line, "BRRR Abado", that appears in the original song once, and in Cena's theme song three times. Grinnage and Murray are seeking for the destruction of Cena's theme song and $150,000 in damages from the defendants. It's possible WWE may have to stop selling any WWE DVDs featuring Cena's music and edit the music out of all footage they intend to broadcast in the future.

No word yet from Cena or WWE.

Go back to Basic Thugonamics. That song ruled. Not that I have a problem with this one, but we're talking about Basic Thugonamics here.

Did Vanilla Ice ever lose a lawsuit based off of Ice Ice Baby, which was a more blatant ripoff of a popular song than Cena's shitty music?

Vanilla Ice settled out of court and songwriting credits went to Queen and David Bowie.

Go back to Basic Thugonamics. That song ruled. Not that I have a problem with this one, but we're talking about Basic Thugonamics here.

Agreed. Basic Thuganomics was a fantastic theme

The Vanilla Ice/Queen thing was settled out of court.

I like how that report says they are seeking "the destruction of Cena's theme song." I want you to open up Pro Tools and record static over every one of those instrument tracks!

The first thing I thought when I saw this thread was that Cena needs to go back to Basic Thuganomics. Thing is, he's mostly dropped the rap gimmick.

That reminds me of something funny from No Way Out 2004.

Before the Triple Threat match between Cena, Angle and Big Show, they did one of the "Tale of the Tape" things.

Under career achievements, the best they could do for Cena (as he had not yet won a title in the company) was put "PhD in Thuganomics".

Did Vanilla Ice ever lose a lawsuit based off of Ice Ice Baby, which was a more blatant ripoff of a popular song than Cena's shitty music?

Ice did an interview on VH-1 about the comparison, and his contention was that because of the one extra note added to the melody at the start of IIB, that the melody was completely different and nothing like the one on Under Pressure.

This lawsuit seems like an attempt to get a quick buck. WWE will probably pay a nominal amount to make them go away.

I'm pretty sure that the sound in question (the "BRRR Abado" thing) is an actual recording from the M.O.P. song. I actually remember some people on here thinking M.O.P. was gonna be on it when it first came out. As small as it was, they could have some merit if they didn't get permission/

Agreed they should go back to Basic Thuganomics, though.

I'll gladly have them go back to his awesome Thuganomics theme. I hate "The Time is Now", mainly because it made a good theme going into his first world title win, but now really serves no purpose. THE TIME IS NOW......FOR MY 4TH TITLE REIGN! Lame.

I would be very surprised if WWE won this case should it fully play out in court. The sample in question is clearly stolen from the other rap track. I'd never even heard of MOP until now, but I just saw the "Ante Up" video and I was amazed WWE could be this blatant. They will have to settle if the case is not dismissed.

It's "BRRRRR Avenue!"

It's one of M.O.P's signature phrases. Plus the structure of the songs and beats are similar.

Between their Roca Fella and G-Unit deals, I'd say M.O.P have plenty of money. I can see this case causing more damage then you guys are thinking.

"It's possible WWE may have to stop selling any WWE DVDs featuring Cena's music and edit the music out of all footage they intend to broadcast in the future."

There's the part that can really hurt the WWE.

It's "BRRRRR Avenue!"

It's one of M.O.P's signature phrases. Plus the structure of the songs and beats are similar.

Between their Roca Fella and G-Unit deals, I'd say M.O.P have plenty of money. I can see this case causing more damage then you guys are thinking.

Agreed. MOP's not some underground rap group needing the money.

As for the "Basic Thuganomics" vs. "The Time is Now" argument...

One thing "The Time is Now" has over "Basic Thuganomics."

The latter can't be done Marching Band, I don't think.

I must admit to never having heard 'Ante Up'. But i've just downloaded it now, and I must say, apart from a couple of tiny screaming noises and the first vocals you hear, there's really nothing in this. The song really doesn't' have that much resemblance.

Edit:

Now I go and listen to Cena's track.. the intros are quite similar on a certain level.

I don't know much about music copyright law, but if having the same brrrrrrr counts as some sort of plagirism, the law is BS.

Why? That part of the song is blatantly stolen from the original song. It doesn't even sound re-created. It sounds like a ganked sample from the original song. And Cena's music has been attached to a ton of things that made WWE a shitton of money. That's a total violation.