Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Golden-age cartoons as a kid.

What were you?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. !

• Disney person
    • Warner Brothers person

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

If we've done this dichotomy thing before, I don't remember doing so.

Warners through and through. Even as a three-year-old kid, you sensed they had an edge that Disney didn't. Some people are really into the Disney universe well into adulthood, but I don't think there's a lot of compelling stuff there for any age group.

Even as a three-year-old kid, you sensed they had an edge that Disney didn't.

For short animation, WB owns. For half hour cartoons, it's hard to compare. Depsite the gratness of Animniacs and Freakazoid, The Mouse wins with volume. I'm still very found of Duck Tails, DarkWing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Gummie Bears, Bonkers, Aladdin and Goof Troop.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Bob: I was aiming for the earlier era of shorts and feature-lengths, and didn't Hanna-Barbera stuff not really take off till they left MGM? I haven't studied this shit since 5th grade, when I was a big animation buff.

Whether you like H-B or not, the crux of the biscuit here is Mickey versus Bugs. We all know that family that's just really into Disney, don't we? And they go to Orlando or Anaheim and they're absolutely enchanted by the whole Disney experience? My aunt is like this, and so are my cousins. They love Fantasia, they go to Disney World all the time, still get excited about the whole thing, on and on and on. I don't know. That was never me. I went to both Land ('92) and World ('01) and the whole Disney Magic thing never appealed to me. There was no defenses-down suspension of disbelief, no camp appeal, it was just kind of irrelevant, because I didn't grow up with that cartoon universe playing a big part in my entertainment life. Walt Disney The Man Himself is a thousand times more compelling than any of his characters or movies. I guess even though both groups of cartoons are ubiquitous products of megacorporations that control the entire world, the Warner Bros stuff is the slightest bit anti-establishment in comparison to the whitebreadness of Disney.

Repo Man: I was Darkwing Duck for Halloween in 1992, but all that half-hour stuff is just broadcasting filler and it probably wasn't very good. I will say that Animaniacs was pretty cool (this has been discussed here many times, I know that much) and gave me an early jump on the works of Gilbert & Sullivan. Still, everything you named is beyond the intended scope of this thread.

I'll always associate Max Fleischer, Bob Clampett, Tex Avery, Chuck Jones, and Hanna-Barbera (with their work on Tom and Jerry) with the era before Disney. I can't think of Disney as anything other than their movies and the Disney mystique. It helps that I grew up with everything non-Disney on my TV. I know the movies, the shorts, and everything else, and have seen them all, but little of it ever hit home the way a simple half-hour of Looney Tunes or even Tom and Jerry did. I never really got caught up in Disney either. Including Looney Tunes there was a lot at the time that was just all-around cooler than Disney was.

Hanna-Barbera would be the Silver Age if I were to bring in a comics metaphor. They're what I think of when someone brings up 60s-70s animation, and vice versa. They were basically the only game in town, if I'm not mistaken. But while they first made their names during the Golden Age, it was as part of MGM and not as a full-fledged, self-sufficient studio.

As far as the 90s and later are concerned, a lot of Disney's shows just kind of run together, honestly. WB was more varied and daring in the 90s while Disney's stuff is like a soulless cash grab with a bunch of diluted properties turned mediocre series. It makes money, sure, but with every successful movie being turned into a television series and three or four direct-to-video sequels, it's ridiculous. I don't know if that's better or worse with WB not knowing what the hell to do with the Looney Tunes characters, but there's still some variety and experimentation in what they continue to put out.

WB, mainly for the Batman cartoon that came on in the mid-90's...if WB didn't have that, it'd be Disney for me.

Nobody counts Batman as part of the WB cartoon empire. We're talkin' about Looney Tunes here.

And Warner wins this one for me as well. Road Runner was my favorite. Disney never meant shit to me. When I was 6 I got Disney Adventures in the Magic Kingdom for NES for Christmas? Why? Of all the fucking games on that system, I had to get one that I had never even heard of that was based on a license I didn't care for. What Czech said about Walt being more interesting that his company or creations is true. When I was about 7, my dad gave me this huge-ass fucking thousand page or so hardcover book about Walt and the history of his company, and I found it tremendously interesting, but I never cared enough to explore any of the classic works from the Disney oeuvre. And fuck their stupid-ass theme parks which I never got a chance to go to. I always thought it was bullshit that kids in my school got to take a week off to go on family vacations to Disney World. That shit ain't educational. You want to go on vacation, go in the summer. Remember when Disney bought ABC and they celebrated by having a week where EVERY SINGLE sitcom on the network took place at one of their exquisite theme parks? BULLSHIT. I sure wish I could have been alive in a different era so I could make a fortune off of exploiting public domain fairy tales.

Funny how Barron declares anyone who prefers Disney's old stuff "fucking retarded", but is a fan of their newer work like Hannah Montana and Lizzie McGuire. Oh, you man of inscrutable tastes, Sam.

I do like Aladdin and the Lion King, however. I also think Jeffrey Katzenberg is OK, but I don't like Eisner. The dude who runs the company now seems alright. But we're talking about the old days here. Fuck you Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, y'all can suck it. Remember that live-action Alice in Wonderland on the Disney Channel in the early '90s with the rapping Tweedledee and Tweedledum? That shit was lame as fuck too. Amazing how it took that channel almost 20 years to follow the Nickelodeon model of success instead of trying to be HBO 4 Kidz. What a terrible company.

Warner Bros. definitely takes the cake over Disney...they did stuff that would most likely be considered offensive in today's pussy ass PC world. HOWEVER, I love the Goofy shorts like the sports ones and the ones where a narrator is showing us a day in his life doing things like going to the beach, working out, etc.

muredrtrain is spot on bringing up Tex Avery shorts as well as Tom & Jerry...can't have a conversation about old school animation without those contributions.

I'm kinda neutral in this aspect.

While I do like more Looney Tunes than old Disney cartoons, I have fond memories growing up of the Donald Duck vs. Chip 'n' Dale cartoons.

Plus, Disney's movies tended to be better than th WB animated ones.

More recently...well, I grew up on Disney Afternoon. ...and I'll admit this, despite being a guy, I liked the more recent Disney show "Kim Possible".

Warner Bros. definitely takes the cake over Disney...they did stuff that would most likely be considered offensive in today's pussy ass PC world. HOWEVER, I love the Goofy shorts like the sports ones and the ones where a narrator is showing us a day in his life doing things like going to the beach, working out, etc.

muredrtrain is spot on bringing up Tex Avery shorts as well as Tom & Jerry...can't have a conversation about old school animation without those contributions.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search

Those have always been dope.

Most people in this thread are totally off-topic on accident.

If it ain't old school 10 to 15 minute short, it ain't relavent. I love the hell out of Duck Tails, Gooftroop, Darkwing and all those cartoons as much as they next 80's baby. But this tread/poll isn't about those, or animaniacs, Freekazoid and all those WB shows from the past 3 decades, give or take a few years.

CZECH means the actual Golden Age toons.

Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies and Disney shorts from the 30's to the 60's/70's.

I've only got one fully functioning arm due to a near fatal accident, and may or may not be on a lot of fuckin' pain killers, so my grammar/spelling/posting looks like shit. Also Those timelines for when the cartoons were made is off top, i ain't lookin' shit up right now. I'm just trying to catch the thread before it went to hell.

Carry on...

This discussion begins and ends with "Duck Amuck", so I guess Warners wins.

Easily WB, for reasons already postulated here. More clever, more subversive, etc. At a certain point in my young childhood around 6 years old, Road Runner cartoons >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else.

they did stuff that would most likely be considered offensive in today's pussy ass PC world.

You say "most likely" as if there's somehow some sort of doubt. There's a bunch of Warner crap they can't show anymore because it's offensive as all hell. Especially the cartoons made during the war - they're just plain mean.

Also, I agree with Jingus on the Roadrunner bit - the one with the catapult makes me die laughing to this day.

Repo Man: I was Darkwing Duck for Halloween in 1992, but all that half-hour stuff is just broadcasting filler and it probably wasn't very good. I will say that Animaniacs was pretty cool (this has been discussed here many times, I know that much) and gave me an early jump on the works of Gilbert & Sullivan. Still, everything you named is beyond the intended scope of this thread.

I have to disagree there. I spent every day after school watching a blcok on Channel 11 (I think it was Kids WB by then) that included Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales, Anamaniacs, Chip & Dales Rescue Rangers, and others. And I remember them all being good. Heck, I even built my own Darkwing plane out of wood.

But hell, nobody can dispute the awesomness that was

Obviously I voted for Warners on this since it's not even close, but in a way this is like comparing apples to oranges. If we're talking about shorts then Disney never did many of those worth a crap, while that was Warner Bros.' bread and butter.

However, if we're talking feature films from the Golden Era then this is a different question since Warner Bros. never really did that. That's where Disney hit a groove: Snow White, Bambi, Dumbo, Fantasia, Pinnochio, etc. I'm not even a big fan of any of those movies, but they are all considered classics.

Bob: I was aiming for the earlier era of shorts and feature-lengths, and didn't Hanna-Barbera stuff not really take off till they left MGM? I haven't studied this shit since 5th grade, when I was a big animation buff.

Yea, Hanna-Barbera started after they left MGM. What pisses me off is that Warner Bros. now owns Hanna-Barbera, and yet a Looney Tunes-Hanna crossover movie, which would be awesome, has not been done. I mean, come on. That's a license to print money. I'd die if Daffy and Yogi share a scene, no joke.

Whether you like H-B or not, the crux of the biscuit here is Mickey versus Bugs.

Bugs is an asshole- I always love the one cartoon where in the end he loses. Makes my day.

Remember when Disney bought ABC and they celebrated by having a week where EVERY SINGLE sitcom on the network took place at one of their exquisite theme parks? BULLSHIT.

Roseanne going to Disney World was the worst. They're the Connors, they're not supposed to be able to afford Disney World.

Funny how Barron declares anyone who prefers Disney's old stuff "fucking retarded",

I said anyone who votes Disney over Warner Bros is fucking retarded, not that anyone who likes Disney is fucking retarded.

I went and saw The Wackness and before the movie started, the theatre showed Duck Amuck for no reason. It made my day.

One that nobody's mentioned so far is Tiny Toons. Sure, it was essentially a beta test run for the kind of stuff they'd later perfect in Animaniacs, but it had its moments.

I went and saw The Wackness and before the movie started, the theatre showed Duck Amuck for no reason.

Well thank god they did, otherwise you would've seen absolutely nothing entertaining at all that day.

Growing up in the early to mid '90s during Disney's renaissance, it'd be hard for me to not be a Disney fan. And I have to admit as the sentimental dope that I am, I go for that Disney magic. However, since we're comparing shorts and "classic era" Disney and Warner Brothers, you have to go with Warner Brothers.Some of my fondest childhood memories revolve around me watching Looney Tunes and The Three Stooges with my dad. I never was a huge fan of any of Disney's "classic" characters except maybe Goofy (which I attribute more to Goof Troop and the ensuing film spinoffs) while I love virtually every one of Warner Brothers. Embarrassingly enough, the release of Space Jam was one of the iconic moments of my childhood. I saw that 4-5 times in theaters.

Okay...what exactly are we SUPPOSED to be talking about here? I thought we were talking about the old 6 to 10 minute shorts? Now we're talking late 80s/early 90s half hour shows and feature length movies?