TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

Ring of Honor Weekend (Dayton and Chicago-PPV)

Dayton Card

ROH World Title Three Way Match

Nigel McGuinness defends vs. Austin Aries vs. Tyler Black

World Tag Team Title Match

Kevin Steen & El Generico defend vs. Jimmy Jacobs & Delirious

Grudge Match #1

Bryan Danielson vs. Claudio Castagnoli

Grudge Match #2

Brent Albright vs. Davey Richards with Larry Sweeney

Lights Out Match

Roderick Strong vs. Chris Hero

Tag Team Challenge

Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Irish Airborne

Four Corner Survival

Go Shiozaki vs. Sami Callahan vs. Rhett Titus vs. ???

Chicago

RISING ABOVE 2008 PPV TAPING

ROH World Title Match

Nigel McGuinness vs. Bryan Danielson

Samoa Joe vs. Tyler Black

I-Quit Match

Austin Aries vs. Jimmy Jacobs

Six Man Tag Team War

Roderick Strong, Brent Albright, & ??? vs. Chris Hero, Go Shiozaki, & Davey Richards

SHIMMER Title Match

MsChif vs. Sara Del Rey

Delirious vs. Rhett Titus

Four Corner Survival

Claudio Castagnoli vs. Sami Callahan vs. Silas Young vs. Alex Payne

Results

1. Brent Albright defeats Davey Richards (Good opener)

*Nigel declares the three way match is now a non-title match*

2. GO Shiozaki defeated Rhett Titus, Sami Callahan and Grizzly Redwood

3. Briscoes defeats Irish Airborne (Absolute squash and Mark appears to have yet another injury)

4. Lights Out match ruled a No Contest via mass interference from SnS Inc.

5. Steen and Generico defeat Jacobs and Delirious (poor match)

6. Danielson defeats Castagnoli with small package (Claudio destroys Danielson after the match with chair)

7. Austin Aries defeats Tyler Black and Nigel McGuinness

It was a fun show, the Albright opener was great, shame WWE never went further with him, I was really impressed with Go Shiozaki.

There was a fun running joke throughout the night with the crowd repeatedly wanting the guys to 'work the kidneys'.

Plus I picked up 4 more shows (All Star Extravaganza II, Death Before Dishonor III, Joe vs Kobashi and the Sixth Anniversary Show) plus the Flair Highspots Shoot.

Rising Above results. Credit, ROH board.

MAIN SHOW RESULTS:

Briscoes come out to start and cut a promo on Steenerico. Briscoes Vs. Steen & Generico - ROH World Tag Team Titles on NOW!!!!!!!!

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

1.) Steen and Generico DEF. Briscoe Brothers

Steen and Generico retain after Steen nails the Package Piledriver.Very solid match. Great Double teams by the Briscoes and crowd was super into Generico. They brawled following the match and the Briscoes spilled some Blood. Grizzly out to break up the brawl.

Time of match: 6:05

SHIMMER CHAMPIONSHIP

2.) MsChif retains DEF. Sara Del Ray w/Larry Sweeney in 9:30 to remain Shimmer Champion!

Sickest Boston Crab ever by Sara and MsChif wins with a DDT Variation. Crowd was split between the two in what was said to be a stiff and excellent match!

3.) Delirious DEF. Rhett Titus in 6:33 with a Shadows over Hell. After some brawling and thrusting we got some cock grabs by Delirious. Yes, cock grab. After the match Delirious breaks the Top of the Class Trophy on Titus followed by a Panic Attack with the Trophy.

The return in Jan. will be another PPV Taping!!!!!

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL

4.) Claudio Castagnoli DEF. Sami Callahan, Silas Young and Alex Payne in 8:54 after a Ricolla Bomb on Sugarfoot. Sugarfoot was big time over. Sami was big time over also getting alot of chants. Claudio tried to use the chair on Sugarfoot but Danielson ran out and took it away from him for the save and a huge "NEXT WORLD CHAMP" Chant. Danielson celebrates with Sugarfoot.

INTERMISSION

Estimate from Cary is now around 1,500!!!!

SIX MAN WAR

5.) Brent Albright, Roderick Strong & ACE STEEL!!! Vs. Chris Hero, Go Shiozaki & Davey Richards w/ Larry Sweeney

SnS wins in 16:06 after Sweeney distracts Sinclair while Hero hits Strong with a chair and puts Davey on top of him to get the win. Ace gets some deserved Welcome Back chants! Ace looks good out there and hasn't lost a step. Davey is explosive with everything he does. Loud Hero Sucks and F*ck You Hero chants! Dempsey is also getting loud chants. SnS in control til Strong got in there and tore it up! Dunkin Donuts chants to Sinclair.

I QUIT MATCH

6.) Aries Vs. Jacobs

Aries says he has no second....for now. Austin Aries wins in 22:13 after LACEY returns and is about throw in the towel for Aries after Jacobs won't stop biting at Aries' bloody head. Lacey slaps Jimmy. Crowd is chanting DIE JIMMY DIE!These two are giving it everything in this awesome brawl. Microphone shots to Jimmys head.Singlehanded bulldog from the top rope to the outside and through a table by both men!! Tyler then tries to throw in the towel and Lacey stops him. Jimmy then quits after Aries has him in a crossface and is stabbing him with the Spike! Sick spot with a spear by Jimmy to Aries through the middle rope and off the apron and onto a steel chair ont he outside!!! Lots of brawling in the crowd and on the outside and lots of blood here. Tyler helping out Jimmy and gets booed big time from the crowd for it. Sick brawl of a match. After the match Jimmy is pissed at Tyler and he leaves Jimmy in the ring with Aries. Staredown and both end up shaking hands. (JUST KIDDING ABOUT THAT LAST SENTENCE!)

*Sorry about delays but the board is lagging as always on show night.

ROH WORLD TITLE

7.) Nigel McGuinness Vs. Bryan Danielson

Handshake and the bell.....some great chain wrestling to start. just what you expect from these two. Dueling chants. Danielson works Nigels arm. They steal eachothers moves for heat and pops. Nigel does a figure four to get a Wooooo from the crowd. More updates as I get them. Back and forth match. Soccer kicks to the back of Nigel after some strikes. Sinclair gets involved and Danielson gets clipped. Danielson on the ropes, falls, Sinclair pushes him back up and he eats a lariat! Nigel to the outside and Danielson then does his Springboard Front flip in the aisle. Claudio then comes out and nails Dragon with a chair. Sinclair starts to count and out comes Sugarfoot who drags Dragon back into the ring for a huge pop!Defeaning atmosphere and tons of pinfalls. CATTLE MUTILATION! Epic match as they are both kicking out of everything! Danielson ducks a lariat only to then be hit by a Rebound Lariat for the win!

WINNER AND STILL ROH WORLD CHAMPION: NIGEL MCGUINNESS IN 28:08!

8.) Samoa Joe DEF. Tyler Black in 18:56.

Massive pop for Joe as expected. Joe is in perfect form here as they trade blows and get this one off hot! Tyler goes for his middle rope body press and Joe just walks out of the way. Joe does tope to the outside and then says to the Referee "what are you doing counting!? This is ROH!" Joe hits his Ole kick to break the count. From my report I have this being said it just may be the second version of Joe Vs. Kobashi. ISLAND DRIVER for a 1 count kickout which drove the crowd wild! Tyler goes for his Phoenix Splash and misses and Joe then goes for his top rope Musclebuster but misses. STJOE followed by the Musclebuster and the Choke and you can put this one in the books!

Joe ends the show with a heart felt promo and puts over ROH and the boys in the back. F*ck TNA chants throughout the promo as well.

In fact, his Velocity stints would indicate such desire.

No it doesn't. It just shows that Danielson is willing to accept an easy payday for a quick squash.

I think Nigel would be willing to go to WWE, they just haven't made him the offer. Plus, he's under contract to ROH at the moment.

In fact, his Velocity stints would indicate such desire.

No it doesn't. It just shows that Danielson is willing to accept an easy payday for a quick squash.

I think Nigel would be willing to go to WWE, they just haven't made him the offer. Plus, he's under contract to ROH at the moment.

So why did he, like Joe, contemplate quitting when WWE and TNA wasn't offering him deals? Of course Danielson backed off and went on to have one of the best runs for an indy wrestler, but clearly he wanted to be somewhere better at one point.

(waits for the RoHbot answer of burn out or whatever lame excuse to ignore ROH's importance or lack thereof to a wrestler's outlook)

Even before McGuinness signed a contract with ROH, I never heard any talk of WWE being interested in him at all. Not even for jobber duty in a dark match. As he is right now, Nigel would, if given the chance, be a great midcard wrestler in WWE, and possibly even rise higher with the right feud. But if he ever did sign with WWE, he'd be sent to FCW to learn how to work, and the Nigel that could go places would be replaced with a Nigel that does the same thing as just about every other wrestler in WWE and would be relegated to putting over the latest project that creative are high on.

waits for the RoHbot answer of burn out or whatever lame excuse to ignore ROH's importance or lack thereof to a wrestler's outlook)

Shut up.

So why did he, like Joe, contemplate quitting when WWE and TNA wasn't offering him deals? Of course Danielson backed off and went on to have one of the best runs for an indy wrestler, but clearly he wanted to be somewhere better at one point.

I'm not arguing he never wanted to go to WWE, since he did work in the Memphis territory, just that him working Velocity matches means anything. I don't remember Joe or Danielson ever contemplating quitting, and if they did it was a LONG time ago and of course things change. Also, Nigel and Danielson have been able to make a living doing wrestling full-time at this point, thanks to ROH, indie work and NOAH.

Not even for jobber duty in a dark match.

Nigel has worked several jobber matches for HEAT. He also did some matches for TNA, but it never went anywhere.

Usually, when an indy wrestler agrees to wrestle a squash match for WWE (not so much for TNA), it's because they hope they could put on a good enough showing that they would be asked back, possibly on a more permanent basis. But you're right. For a world class wrestler like Bryan Danielson, it's all about the money. He had ZERO notions of winning a job with them. He's just there for the check.

Bryan Danielson being "unwilling" to go to TNA or WWE is one of the greatest jokes ever. The fact that it keeps repeating itself is even better.

Danielson was offered a Dev contract for much less then he was making on the indies. This was also many, many years ago. He turned it down, rightfully feeling he could make a better living on the indies.

He then proceeded to quit wrestling for a period of time because TNA and WWE weren't coming for him. He came back, and has had some interest expressed for him from WWE but nothing significant.

WWE is interested in him stemming from his dark matches earlier this year (The fact that they put him over Lance Cade and Meltzer heard nothing but praise shows this). It's his ROH contract that's prohibiting that. If he leaves ROH, or ROH folds in the future, WWE will likely shoot him a deal similiar to CM Punk's. ROH's deals are pretty open, but they keep the talent from being hijacked.

As for ROH...How did Nigel get the ability to not put the title on the line? I could see stunts like that really pissing off the fans. Not a good idea.

Drop the act. A great majority of the ROH fans are quite aware that the talent would happily take a chance to wrestle in the top promotion for a variety of reasons, but there are the select few that go against that thinking, just the same as the hardcore WWE fans would refuse that a wrestler could be unhappy working for the biggest promotion in the world.

Let’s talk about Friday night’s show in Dayton which has been treated with harsh criticism regarding the quality of the show, the booking and in general, the market’s treatment from the company. Over the past year while Nigel has been tremendous and doing a good job of being a complete heel in a audience that will make it a difficult task to accomplish, there has been one distinct market that has revered McGuinness. That is Dayton, which has long been regarded as Nigel’s “second home”. The previous two shows were centered on that very premise; he was showcased as a baby face in this market.

So, for these people, they have been conditioned to accept Nigel as the face regardless of the booking direction. On Friday night, Nigel completely goes away from that and is a complete heel, to the point he calls the town a shit-hole (which is quite true). That’s perfectly within reason for a heel to do, it’s the standard routine and Nigel does it quite well. However, it wasn’t the place to do it. Myself, I didn’t have a problem, I accept Nigel as that type of persona but the majority of the crowd doesn’t.

I've been to a great deal of ROH events and I'll say that it was without question, the worst one of them all. That's fine because not every show will be a classic show especially with the booking and the effort given to this show.

However, the PPV taping in Chicago was a fantastic show with a strong emphasis shown to how far the company has grown from the small rec center in Philadelphia. It was impressive to see the professional camera crew around the building, including the camera crane. That's essential for a promotion looking to capture and maintain a mainstream audience.

Any of the three main events (Danielson/Nigel, I Quit and Joe-Black) were enough to sell the show alone as each one of them were simply fantastic in very distinctive ways. After the rocky start to the new regime in ROH and questionable direction, this show served to show that when it counts, they still pull of a big hit.

Didn't you hear? We're supposed to believe ROH is the greatest company in the world and that their wrestlers won't dare seek employment elsewhere.

Didn't you hear? You have no idea what you're talking about and are just trying to take cheapshots to make it seem like you know anything about the subject.

No one has said anything of that sort that you are claiming, so please, shut the fuck up.

Yes, I was insulting their board's fans. Sorry if some here took it as a personal insult. Maybe you do belong there?

I don't see the point in making the same dig twice- it wasn't funny the first time.

I lurk at the ROH boards, because they amuse me, and I like to read the newswires.

Who says a dig has to be funny? I was going for mean spirited. All the same, I was mocking the ROH board's fans' attitudes toward the company. Sure, it had no place here, but where would I make those digs? At that board?

Wasn't Nigel in OVW for a stint? Was that on his own dime? He appeared on TNA right after his OVW stint - did he blow off WWE developmental at that time and burned that bridge?

William Regal is trying to get Nigel hired, giving his stuff to anybody and everybody involved in scouting/hiring and can't understand why he hasn't been hired yet.

Then again Burchill is circling the drain and will likely be endeavored sooner than later, and the wwe has 4-5 UK wrestlers currently in FCW - DJ Gabriel(now on ECW), Sheamus O'Shaunessey (Irish), Drew McIntyre (Scot), Stu Bennet (Brit) with the latter three all being over 6'6" and 250lbs.

Nigel was in OVW, during the Heyman era of mid-2005. His most notable appearance was on an episode as a heel foil for some of the faces vying for a chance at Johnny Jeter's OVW Heavyweight Championship. I believe he fought Elijah Burke on that show. I've got it on DVD somewhere.

He was also a HWA (old WWF developmental where a lot of WCW guys were sent) talent for some time, but he SUCKED back then. He's improved leaps and bounds since those days. Not sure if he was under a contract at that time though.

Let’s talk about Friday night’s show in Dayton which has been treated with harsh criticism regarding the quality of the show, the booking and in general, the market’s treatment from the company. Over the past year while Nigel has been tremendous and doing a good job of being a complete heel in a audience that will make it a difficult task to accomplish, there has been one distinct market that has revered McGuinness. That is Dayton, which has long been regarded as Nigel’s “second home”. The previous two shows were centered on that very premise; he was showcased as a baby face in this market.

So, for these people, they have been conditioned to accept Nigel as the face regardless of the booking direction. On Friday night, Nigel completely goes away from that and is a complete heel, to the point he calls the town a shit-hole (which is quite true). That’s perfectly within reason for a heel to do, it’s the standard routine and Nigel does it quite well. However, it wasn’t the place to do it. Myself, I didn’t have a problem, I accept Nigel as that type of persona but the majority of the crowd doesn’t.

Yeah, but, this all fits in with Pearce's restructuring process, to make the heel/face divide more apparant. If somebody's a heel, they should act like a heel. Else, people aren't going to give him the right kind of reaction. If this heel is acting like a face in one town, unless it's his hometown, that goes against the "clear heels and faces" divide and just confuses anything.

Showcasing your heel World Champion as a babyface in one town that's not his hometown strikes me as odd booking.

So I don't really have a problem with that. If the Dayton fans are too 'smart' to buy into it, that's there problem. I'm sure they don't mind Dayton fans cheering Nigel, but the idea that he should act as a face despite being a heel everywhere else just because they like him is, to me and evidently to Pearce's booking, weak booking.

As a fan who lives in Dayton, when Nigel called the town a shit-hole, I looked to my girlfriend and said, "He has a point." She nodded.

I realize it's clearly a heel tactic, but at least he is calling a spade a spade.