TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NHL Thread - December

As it stands right now, I have to say I am very impressed with the Boston Bruins. And I'm a Canadiens fan for 'Pete sake! They have a great team going right now and so many players are coming in and giving a lot more than I was expecting. Guys like Kessel, Krejci and Kobasew are starting to turn it on in a big way. (KKK pun not intended)....*ahem* Anyways.. These guys are all young studs and centered around an always dependable Marc Savard, I believe the Bruins could really make some noise in the Eastern Conference. But then again, it is only December.

Montreal have a date with Calgary next..

To the Habs fans out there; what do we all think of Matt D'Agostini?

Is this just a tryout in the big time, or could he earn a spot on les habitantes?

Great first period, awful second and third from the black and gold tonight. They were lucky to get the 2 points tonight. I expect them to look like the Bruins of late against the Caps on wednesday.

As Max said, the Bruins tapered off a bit in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Tim Thomas really bailed them out and even then, Tampa was getting good opportunities until the final seconds of the game. The offense continues to remain solid but my worries over the amount of good shots that TT and Manny face in every game is still there as the goaltending can only be superb for so long before chinks start to appear in the armor.

I was hoping in the few one on one situations the Bruins had they would try and beat their respective defender and at least take the shot on net. At worst, they miss and the rest of the team catches up or is far back enough to still play good enough defense. Many of the players have the capability to dangle around a defender but seem to prefer to slow down and wait to set up the pass, which is great, but it also allows the opposition to get back and limit any potential opportunities.

As an aside: I LOVED the two line passing going on in the 3rd period and that partly tied into the last comment. Sifting the puck up over the blue lines to a waiting Kessel (or whomever) is a great idea but it seemed like once that happened, the "attack" of the pass stopped and the individual waited rather than just crashing to the net.

As it stands right now, I have to say I am very impressed with the Boston Bruins. And I'm a Canadiens fan for 'Pete sake! They have a great team going right now and so many players are coming in and giving a lot more than I was expecting. Guys like Kessel, Krejci and Kobasew are starting to turn it on in a big way. (KKK pun not intended)....*ahem* Anyways.. These guys are all young studs and centered around an always dependable Marc Savard, I believe the Bruins could really make some noise in the Eastern Conference. But then again, it is only December.

Montreal have a date with Calgary next..

To the Habs fans out there; what do we all think of Matt D'Agostini?

Is this just a tryout in the big time, or could he earn a spot on les habitantes?

All of this. At this point, the team I'd least like to meet in the playoffs are the B's.

D'Agostini is not as talented purely as Latendresse or the younger Kostitsyn in what I've seen of him thus far; However, with the two aformentioned healthy scratches, Matt's earned his spot on the team, unquestionably, at least for now. If the Habs don't in fact get Sundin, we could see d'Agostini staying on the big club for a while. If they do get Sundin, I see Matt coming back up around trade deadline time - the buzz is Gainey's shopping for a d-man. Given that...know what, I'll save that point for the end of the post. An underperforming forward will likely be trade bait(especially with 10 UFA's in July) with a pick and/or prospect March 4, so I think that punches Matt's ticket back up to the show, provided he's back in the Hammer that point.

The point I was starting to make: With all the UFA's, the 100th anniversary, and the high expectations this season: Trade whomever you want to fill the missing pieces of the puzzle. This is going to be, hands down, the Habs best chance at a Cup since '93, and we're probably at our peak regardless of the final result. Roll the dice.

You could probably trade away Latendresse. Big bust and send his ass to Florida.

I think it's too soon for him to be a 'big bust' just yet, but shit, he played all season on the big club last year. I don't get where he's getting cold feet from all of a sudden.

You could probably trade away Latendresse. Big bust and send his ass to Florida.

I think it's too soon for him to be a 'big bust' just yet, but shit, he played all season on the big club last year. I don't get where he's getting cold feet from all of a sudden.

Ah screw that Matt D'Agostini is a stud. No need to keep Latendresse around. Well we do now since Higgins and Dandenault are now injured.

Great game by the Habs tonight, even though Iron Mike was pissed that PHANEUF!!~ was kneed even though he tried to cut around Markov and failed.

Huh...

Top 5 Things I Didn't Know Until Now

1: The Minnesota Wild have allowed 56 goals in 26 games (2.15 PG) but have only scored 72 on the year.

2: The Carolina Hurricanes are 13-12-3 (OTL) despite scoring 71 goals and allowing 83.

3: The Minnesota Wild have scored 29 goals on the PP, good for 3rd in the league. That number makes up 40% of their total goals scored.

4: The New York Rangers have the top PK (89.38%) while playing in the most NHL games - 30 - to date.

5: The Philadelphia Flyers have 12 SH goals and are only 1 of 5 teams in the NHL to have not allowed at least one.

Terrible game for the Bruins. As good as they think they are, they aren't good enough yet to just flip and switch to win a game.

Agreed... it almost seemed like they took this game for granted as the Capitals were constantly pushing the puck into the Bruins' end (usually the RW with two teammates trailing to set up the offense) whereas the Bruins were trying to maintain a hit & grind approach but were unable to turn the puck over enough to be a serious threat in attacking Johnson, who played really well.

I also think the really good teams don't "look past" their opponents and in this game, it seemed like the Bruins hit cruise control and expected another 5-2 or 4-1 victory.

More reasons to like the baby Blackhawks:

CHICAGO -- As Chicago Blackhawks players and management scrapped a scheduled day off late last month to lend support to grieving general manager Dale Tallon, they couldn't help but be reminded of their junior hockey days.

Before a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Nov. 22, the Blackhawks learned that Tallon's father, Stan, had died. While the original plan called for them to return home to Chicago immediately after the game and to enjoy the following day off from the rink, the players instead opted to stay over in order to take a two-hour bus ride to the funeral in Gravenhurst.

Tallon was surprised and touched by the support, giving a speech thanking the players for giving up their free time.

Due to the fact the trip was so hastily arranged, the millionaire players were starving following the funeral. They did what any minor hockey team on a road trip might do, pulling into a couple of neighbourhood fast food restaurants in Gravenhurst to fill their stomachs. From there, they made the two-hour trip back to Toronto's Pearson Airport for the flight home.

"We stopped in a parking lot and half the guys went to McDonald's and half the guys went to Harvey's," said Ottawa's Ben Eager, with a laugh. "I don't think they were ready for about 50 guys walking in there."

Eager, a rugged left-winger who spent four seasons with the Oshawa Generals in the Ontario Hockey League before beginning his professional career, says he experienced a flashback moment.

"Just the bus trip and eating the fast food, yeah, it kind of reminded you of the OHL and the junior days, but it was a nice thing to do."

It was also a tad weird for young Blackhawks stars Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane. As they walked into the otherwise empty McDonald's, they saw posters of their faces plastered on the wall. Toews and Kane are featured in the restaurant chain's promotion featuring trading cards of NHL stars.

"There were hockey cards, myself and Toews up there (on the wall), so we were thinking about signing them," said Kane. "I don't think we ended up signing them, but the whole thing was pretty funny."

Kane says the experience was a small sacrifice that made a big difference for Tallon.

"It was important for the whole organization to go up there," he said. "It wasn't just the team, it was the whole front office, and it was a nice gesture. (Tallon) was going through some tough times. Both my grandfathers died and that was pretty tough on me, and I can't imagine it being your dad. It was really good for us, going up there to show him a little bit of respect. It was only four hours out of our time when he needed it.

"I think it went a long way. I know I've talked to (Tallon's) daughters and they really appreciated what we did for them. I think it goes a long way when the whole organization goes."

Brian Campbell, the former Ottawa 67's star, also says the trip served to bring the team closer together.

"I think (Blackhawks president John McDonough) has done a really good job here of treating everybody like a family. We're really close in the locker-room, whether it's the coaches or trainers or anybody, so it was one of those things where we just spent a day off up there. We all got to stay in Toronto, so there was a chance to see some family and friends, and then we took a little ride up there. More than anything, I think (the family) appreciated it and it made their day a little bit easier.

"For us players, our dads did a lot for us to get us to where we are. It was good, it was another kind of team thing that we did."

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Hawks+...0030/story.html

Guest Czecherbear

Yeah, there's a lot of really nice stuff happening with this team in every aspect but goaltending. Good bunch of people, now let's see them beat the Wings at Wrigley (or ever, good lord) and get the 4 seed.

Good win last night. With all their injuries the Blues are a horrible team, but still, we needed a game in which we were able to put that many goals on the board.

Guest Czecherbear

wc_main_architect.jpg

Whoa, sorry in advance about these sightlines, guys! It'd be ideal if Soldier Field were available (which technically, it kinda is) but not as if that place doesn't have its own problems. The rink would probably fall through the ground.

Atlanta would be a much scarier team if they could play defense at all and limit the time the puck is spent in their own zone... Bruins are up 4-1 right now but the Thrashers seem (at least in this game) like they have the potential to be good offensively. They can hit the opposing blue line well and take enough shots to challenge the goalie.

It's a lot like watching a 1980's defense... just without the offense scoring 4-5 goals a game so they can lose 7-5 and 6-4 night after night.

Today's a good day for hockey. The Kings game is on now, so I get to watch that and then get back to CBB Arena tonight to watch the Reign play after missing the 2 games last weekend due to my friend who has the season tickets being sick.

Kings are looking good against Minnesota right now after dominating St. Louis for the 3rd time this season the other day. Hopefully Minnesota's offense continues to struggle so the Kings don't have to score too much on Backstrom, one of my fantasy team goalies, LOL. ;)

I too am sitting here watch the Wild-Kings. I wish they would have traded Gaborik before the damn season,but watching this game and noticing how silent it is makes me wonder how intelligent fans in LA are. Obviously this isnt anywhere in Canada or Minnesota where the fans ,for the most part, know whats going on just makes me wonder. Anyone here ever been to a Kings game? Is it as silent there as it comes off on TV?

Is it as silent there as it comes off on TV?

I've been to a bunch of games there. And no, it's not. Attendance is down because the team was so shitty the last couple of years though.

It may not completely show in the scorebook, but complete domination by the Bruins tonight over Atlanta. They had a stretch of almost two minutes of non-stop attacking in Atlanta's zone. Phil Kessel continues to just kick ass and possibly take names. David Krejci has 29 points in 30 games this year, already eclipsing his totals in 56 games last year.

They're just rolling over everyone. I think this fares well for later in the year when they start playing real teams.

Some musings:

* I don't follow junior hockey very much, but Evander Kane is likely to be selected by Team Canada's U-20. That's good, as that could be my new favourite name.

* Thomas Vanek has 24 freakin goals already? I'm also pretty impressed with Kessel's 19 already.

* It obviously won't overshadow Tim Thomas' stellar play so far, but in what's being dubbed 'the year of the backup', Manny Fernandez is doing a perfectly competent job in that role.

* Chris Chelios pretty quietly started his 25th season of NHL play this evening.

* I'm sure we could all find some faults with the NHL schedule without even really trying, but Edmonton has played all of nine games at Rexall this year. It's damn near Christmas - that's just silly. It's not like it's MSG, and the circus is in town, or Wrigley Field where snow isn't out of the question for the first four weeks of the year.

I think (know) that the sports culture is different in California than everywhere else. I sat at the Ducks home opener while two children in front of me were play with their DS's. That's awful. Children under 16 shouldn't be a sporting events and neither should families. Also, the Staples Center is a large building and sound doesn't travel as well when there are empty seats.

Note; Ducks ain't selling out either.